Galapagos!

gatordoc

hopelessly addicted...
At the Quito airport awaiting our flight home and wanted to post some quick thoughts.
Overall, the Galápagos Islands are amazing! If you want to see all manner of fascinating species from land, sea, and air (and up close and personal) there’s really nothing that compares. I do however, want to post a few caveats for people to keep in mind that don’t show up in the official literature or in trip reports I’ve read.
First, the expedition ship experience is unlike any we’ve sailed before. It resembles a river cruise ship, but is sailing in open ocean, and in fact never docks for the duration of the trip. It’s either moving or anchored offshore. The result is that it rocks continuously, and often a LOT. I’ve been on large cruise ships in 16-18 foot seas, and their motion was nothing compared to a couple of days on the expedition cruise. Everything in the bathrooms was flying around, things in the cabin were hitting the floor, and we seriously felt at risk of falling out of bed one night. And even when at anchor, the motion can be significant. The crew told us this was not unusual, as there are very strong currents in the area. I’ve never been seasick and was not on this trip, but quite a few people (and not just passengers) were very uncomfortable, missed meals, etc. So if ship motion can potentially affect you, please be sure that you bring and use whatever remedy is best for you (my wife uses scopolamine patches, which have been a miracle for her, but those don’t work for everyone).
Second, because the ship never docks, the only way on and off to the various islands, snorkeling spots, etc. are panga boats. These are inflatables that hold 10-12 people with an outboard motor. No seats - everyone just sits around the edge with bags, equipment, etc. in the middle. Getting on one from the ship requires good mobility and balance. The crew are great at helping you, but there were a few very difficult experiences for people when the seas were choppy. Sometimes snorkeling happens directly from the panga, so that means entering the water by jumping/falling in, and returning using a portable ladder. And landings on the islands may be dry or wet. Dry landings generally involve climbing out onto rocks, while wet landings involve swinging your legs over the side into the water at a beach.
Third, there is a lot of walking over uneven ground on the islands. They’re all volcanic in origin, and while there are some dirt paths, many consist of very uneven (and sharp) rock that require decent balance to navigate (walking sticks are available to help). There’s also a good bit of climbing up and down, mostly on rock “stairs”. Also keep in mind that you are not allowed to bring any food or drink other than water onto the islands, and there are no bathrooms. So you need to be able to last up to 2-3 hours under those conditions.
Fourth, some of the snorkeling really is only for strong swimmers. We’ve snorkeled around the world in all kinds of conditions, but one of the spots on this trip was the roughest water we’ve ever snorkeled in. And also keep in mind that the water is relatively cold (mid 60s to low 70s depending on time of year). Wetsuits as well as some pretty good snorkeling gear are provided.
Please don’t read this as my trying to discourage people from going. My wife and I are in our mid-50s and are moderately active at best, and we successfully navigated all parts of the trip (though I did sort of roll and fall into the panga once after snorkeling and my wife did take a minor fall once on some uneven rock - we both emerged unscathed). It really is an amazing trip, but it’s always best to be prepared for some of the challenges that may arise. So do your research (we were there in the dry, cool season but some may prefer the warm, wet season), talk to people who’ve been there, etc. I’d be happy to try to answer other questions if people have them.

Hi gatordoc! Thank you for your insights. Were there families/kids on board? If so, were they mostly pre teens or teenagers? And did they seem to be enjoying the adventurous aspects of the trip? I know only your wife and you were on the trip but any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated! We are scheduled to go on a December voyage with our 10 year olds as part of a multigenerational family trip.

Hi gatordoc! Thank you for your insights. Were there families/kids on board? If so, were they mostly pre teens or teenagers? And did they seem to be enjoying the adventurous aspects of the trip? I know only your wife and you were on the trip but any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated! We are scheduled to go on a December voyage with our 10 year olds as part of a multigenerational family trip.
Yes, there were lots of families on board, with a broad range of ages of kids from pre-teens on up. The kids all seemed to have a great time. Most of the daytime activities on the islands were done in family groups, but anytime we were on the ship the kids were all running in packs. For meals, they had their own buffet and their own tables (though they could choose to sit with their parents), and they appeared to be doing all sorts of activities together at other times. Some of these were special for them (such as a movie night), but otherwise they would be playing games or just hanging out together. ABD definitely knows how to do family vacations right, and even though my wife and I don’t have kids, we love the energy that they bring.

At the Quito airport awaiting our flight home and wanted to post some quick thoughts.
Overall, the Galápagos Islands are amazing! If you want to see all manner of fascinating species from land, sea, and air (and up close and personal) there’s really nothing that compares. I do however, want to post a few caveats for people to keep in mind that don’t show up in the official literature or in trip reports I’ve read.
First, the expedition ship experience is unlike any we’ve sailed before. It resembles a river cruise ship, but is sailing in open ocean, and in fact never docks for the duration of the trip. It’s either moving or anchored offshore. The result is that it rocks continuously, and often a LOT. I’ve been on large cruise ships in 16-18 foot seas, and their motion was nothing compared to a couple of days on the expedition cruise. Everything in the bathrooms was flying around, things in the cabin were hitting the floor, and we seriously felt at risk of falling out of bed one night. And even when at anchor, the motion can be significant. The crew told us this was not unusual, as there are very strong currents in the area. I’ve never been seasick and was not on this trip, but quite a few people (and not just passengers) were very uncomfortable, missed meals, etc. So if ship motion can potentially affect you, please be sure that you bring and use whatever remedy is best for you (my wife uses scopolamine patches, which have been a miracle for her, but those don’t work for everyone).
Second, because the ship never docks, the only way on and off to the various islands, snorkeling spots, etc. are panga boats. These are inflatables that hold 10-12 people with an outboard motor. No seats - everyone just sits around the edge with bags, equipment, etc. in the middle. Getting on one from the ship requires good mobility and balance. The crew are great at helping you, but there were a few very difficult experiences for people when the seas were choppy. Sometimes snorkeling happens directly from the panga, so that means entering the water by jumping/falling in, and returning using a portable ladder. And landings on the islands may be dry or wet. Dry landings generally involve climbing out onto rocks, while wet landings involve swinging your legs over the side into the water at a beach.
Third, there is a lot of walking over uneven ground on the islands. They’re all volcanic in origin, and while there are some dirt paths, many consist of very uneven (and sharp) rock that require decent balance to navigate (walking sticks are available to help). There’s also a good bit of climbing up and down, mostly on rock “stairs”. Also keep in mind that you are not allowed to bring any food or drink other than water onto the islands, and there are no bathrooms. So you need to be able to last up to 2-3 hours under those conditions.
Fourth, some of the snorkeling really is only for strong swimmers. We’ve snorkeled around the world in all kinds of conditions, but one of the spots on this trip was the roughest water we’ve ever snorkeled in. And also keep in mind that the water is relatively cold (mid 60s to low 70s depending on time of year). Wetsuits as well as some pretty good snorkeling gear are provided.
Please don’t read this as my trying to discourage people from going. My wife and I are in our mid-50s and are moderately active at best, and we successfully navigated all parts of the trip (though I did sort of roll and fall into the panga once after snorkeling and my wife did take a minor fall once on some uneven rock - we both emerged unscathed). It really is an amazing trip, but it’s always best to be prepared for some of the challenges that may arise. So do your research (we were there in the dry, cool season but some may prefer the warm, wet season), talk to people who’ve been there, etc. I’d be happy to try to answer other questions if people have them.
great info! did you go on the amazon river cruise prior to the galapagos?

great info! did you go on the amazon river cruise prior to the galapagos?
We did not do the Amazon before. Just felt like it would have been too much with such an active trip. Those who went seemed to have enjoyed it, although they mentioned major issues with heat and bugs (Galapagos was delightfully cool and mostly bug-free).

Also guilty of this... even knowing we were in the freaking Amazon jungle, it is a LOT of bugs! They really liked flying into my face in the evening hours as we walked back to the room. We kept the light outside the room off as much as we could and had to do a bug check of each other once we were inside the room to remove interlopers.

I'm glad I read this review! I was hoping to take my mother but now I'm not so sure this is the trip for us. I suffer from awful motion sickness and the only thing that helps is Dramamine, which also makes me very sleepy. I was also hoping to take my 70-something mother and although she is mobile, this would be beyond her capabilities.

Hi! I'm leaving on this trip in just a little over a week, and I have a couple questions if you don't mind. Is everyone on the ship with Disney for this sailing? Is the ship full (that is to say--are there 100 people on this itinerary)? Thanks for the info you've provided!

Hi! I'm leaving on this trip in just a little over a week, and I have a couple questions if you don't mind. Is everyone on the ship with Disney for this sailing? Is the ship full (that is to say--are there 100 people on this itinerary)? Thanks for the info you've provided!
Everyone on the trip we took was with Adventures by Disney. And yes, the ship was full except for one unfortunate family that tested positive for Covid on arrival to Quito and had to quarantine there. I don’t think that’s a concern anymore, though. Have a great trip!

Everyone on the trip we took was with Adventures by Disney. And yes, the ship was full except for one unfortunate family that tested positive for Covid on arrival to Quito and had to quarantine there. I don’t think that’s a concern anymore, though. Have a great trip!
Thanks so much for the info! One last question if it's not too much trouble--were there more than two guides since there were 100 people on the ship or were there just the standard two?

Thanks so much for the info! One last question if it's not too much trouble--were there more than two guides since there were 100 people on the ship or were there just the standard two?
There were three ABD guides. However, the passengers were divided into 8 groups (families/friends kept together). Each of the groups was accompanied by an Ecuadorian naturalist during every activity. These naturalists also traveled on the ship with us throughout the voyage. They were all highly knowledgable, and great fun to get to know as well.

There were three ABD guides. However, the passengers were divided into 8 groups (families/friends kept together). Each of the groups was accompanied by an Ecuadorian naturalist during every activity. These naturalists also traveled on the ship with us throughout the voyage. They were all highly knowledgable, and great fun to get to know as well.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. None of it really matters, of course, but I was curious.

The Galapagos have a rule that no more than 16 tourists can be with each local guide. The local guides must be native Galapagosians. (No clue what the proper term for that is! LOL ) We just got back from the Galapagos last month with Road Scholar. It is amazing and one of the few places I'd gladly repeat.

The Galapagos have a rule that no more than 16 tourists can be with each local guide. The local guides must be native Galapagosians. (No clue what the proper term for that is! LOL ) We just got back from the Galapagos last month with Road Scholar. It is amazing and one of the few places I'd gladly repeat.
I was there with Road Scholar in October! Our local guide was Wilo (from Santa Cruz), and he was just lovely. This Disney itinerary visits mostly islands I missed, so I'm headed back. ;)

Also guilty of this... even knowing we were in the freaking Amazon jungle, it is a LOT of bugs! They really liked flying into my face in the evening hours as we walked back to the room. We kept the light outside the room off as much as we could and had to do a bug check of each other once we were inside the room to remove interlopers.
Ha - I just asked my daughter yesterday whether she'd rather a safari (ABD South Africa and/or another tour co in Botswana) or the Galapagos + Amazon add on in 2026 (hopefully all these trips are still running then). She said Africa bc she's worried about bugs in the Amazon.

I’m doing the ABD Galápagos in 2024 and was wondering if you did any pre-nights? If so, where? I know that ABD lists the Wyndham Quito Airport as the pre/post night hotel, but that appears to be about an hour from downtown Quito. Not sure I want to travel that distance every time I want to see something in that area.

Did you do the ABD Amazon Escape or OYO? If you didn’t use ABD, which tour company did you go to the Amazon with? I had originally decided not to visit the Amazon on my Galápagos trip, but are now trying to decide if I’ll have travelers remorse if I don’t. However, the tour company I found on Viator doesn’t give me a lot of warm fuzzies.

Did you do the ABD Amazon Escape or OYO? If you didn’t use ABD, which tour company did you go to the Amazon with? I had originally decided not to visit the Amazon on my Galápagos trip, but are now trying to decide if I’ll have travelers remorse if I don’t. However, the tour company I found on Viator doesn’t give me a lot of warm fuzzies.
We did it on our own, as the group we booked Galapagos with (Ecoventura) was not able to help us with it. Several lodges along the river tend to have their own packages and help you with all the logistics; no need to have a separate operator.

We chose to go with Sacha Lodge (https://www.sachalodge.com/) because their rooms have air conditioning. I found out during a very unfortunate trip to Rarotonga one year that there is a limit to what my body can handle in temperature changes... air conditioning is a must for me when we travel to hot locales during our winter. Anything over a 40 degree swing and I get heat exhaustion easily apparently. It also meant the rooms are nicely sealed up which was important to this arachnophobe... having a safe space to escape to when I got overwhelmed was very nice too.

They arranged our flights, the transfers to and from the lodge, and the price for the package includes your food and board during your stay as well as activities. It is almost all inclusive... I think we paid an extra $10 per person to tip the village we visited (which you can decline to do if you wish), and you do need to pay for laundry, alcoholic drinks, and maybe wifi..? I had thought that was included but the website mentions it is not... it must have been cheap enough I did not give it a second thought. My coworker actually enjoyed her stay in the Amazon MORE than she did their Galapagos time; she stayed at La Selva and they were the same in arranging everything for them. After hearing her rave I just couldn't skip out on going to the Amazon! I'm VERY glad we did - it was not as bad as I had feared (though I did have a freak out on our night walk when people who has swore they would keep walking past the spiders did not and I got trapped) but I am satisfied having done it once. My husband REALLY wants to do it again though, so we may do the same sort of thing again when we finally get down to Peru to see Machu Picchu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter