Gate checking booster seats?

KathyR

Happy DVC Member
I need to gate check 2 booster seats for our flights. I have a short layover (30 minutes), and I am concerned about the time frame of getting those gate checked boosters and my 2 kids to the next gate and on the next plane all within 30 minutes. Our plane change is in Philadelphia on US Airways. How long does it take to get the gate checked item back? Will this be a problem? Anyone with any experience with this? Any comments are greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

You should have barely enough time. I do need to ask, however, why are you gate checking booster seats? Why not just put them in with your checked luggage, USAir can provide a box that will probably hold them both.

I was not aware that they could provide a box. Is there a charge for this service? thanks :)

We secured up our car seats to make sure there was not any hanging straps and just checked them without boxes a few years ago. Why don't you call your airline and check their requirements for checking it on with luggage? I would really try not to gate check the booster seats with the short lay over.

Nope, the boxes are a free service, they will assist you with this curbside even.

Guess it all depends on the booster seat if it can be secured so the arm does not fly open. But, hey, the box idea is wonderful especially since it is a freebie! Just remember to get the box at baggage claim when you arrive. We forgot about our boogie board we bought at Vero Beach last year and had boxed for the flight home! DUH!!!!

AZKathy,
It has been YEARS since I have used one and so much has changed. The grandkids only use car seats, (and only one of the three uses one now)so, I am clueless. But, most airlines (SWA does not supply or have them) will give you one or two of these nifty boxes at no charge. I think they are wonderful.

Thanks for the fast answers!!! Our booster seats fold almost in half, so that they sit in any style of car correctly. They also come apart, so that they can be used with the base only. I would hate to only have half of a car seat when I got home. Thanks so much for the box info. I am actually on vacation in NH visiting family, and I brought the seats in a piece of luggage, but I bought a bunch of stuff while here. Now, the seats will no longer fit in the luggage, so I had a dilema with getting them back home :) Again, thank you for your help! I would have never known that they would/could provide a box at check in!

I think some airlines just use the cardboard or plastic boxes that they put garment bags in.

Just in case they don't have the free boxes available or if you do curb side check-in and don't want to wait for the box, here's another idea. I've used the heavy duty garbage bags to put the car seats in both for baggage and gate check-in. It at least protects them from dirt.

The best kind of bags are the clear transparent ones so that the baggage handlers can see what they are lifting.. The black ones work fine too. Just make sure that they are the thick bags. The ones for dirt and garden debris and not for kitchen/bathroom.

Make sure that you put some identification on the seat in case the bag or box rips and "falls" off. Best if you knot the bag and secure the knot with package tape. When I checked-in my infant carrier, I left the carrying handle exposed so that the luggage barcode sticker could be attached directly to it instead of just taped to the bag.

Good luck!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter