• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Gators at resorts...facts and wise tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceOfPeace

Mouseketeer
Because I know I'm not the only one thinking OMGosh gators!! I would rather have facts and not hype...and hopefully my question will help someone else visiting.

Gators....what word of caution and wisdom would you give to those of us who are clueless?

What word of comfort would you give to those who have the tendency of freaking out when the word 'gator' is mentioned?

Thank you

On our first trip to WDW a CM told us that gators were monitored and relocated and protocols were in place to prevent them from coming into the waterways. That evening we took the boat from POR to DD/DS and sure enough we saw a gator. It was small, but still a gator. I appreciated the CM downplaying any gators but it gave me a false sense of security. We don't have gators at home so we don't know their habits or much about them. My family in FL says the best way to deal with them is stay out of fresh water and leave them alone.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to put a primer sheet on Florida wildlife (snakes and gators) in every guest welcome package and in the hotel rooms. I don't think it would be terribly cost-prohibitive and if it saves one life...

We will not be going on any of the beaches again, especially at night, and I will remind my family to stay sharp on the walkways around the water. Also, keep to the paths--don't stray. Last time we went, my DGS dropped his magic band in the underbrush around POR and he and I promptly dove in, pushing our hands into the bushes and poking around. Several months later I was reading about a little boy that was bitten by a venomous snake when he reached into the bushes to retrieve a dropped toy. It was very, very painful, and he was very ill for quite some time.

We are going in December. There will be some talks. Trust that.

Prayers for the child and her family.

I'm not sure what kind if information you're looking for . The fact is, alligators are present all over Florida. The fact is, given the geography of the area in and around WDW it would be impossible for Disney to keep them all out of their property. That's like expecting NYC to eradicate every rat in the city and keep it rat free.

Disney does try to monitor the Gator population, and their animal control officers will capture and relocate larger gators that are found to be around guest areas.

But there are reasons why there are signs warning people to stay out of the water except for swimming pools. The presence of gators and poisonous snakes are 2 of those reasons.

Stay out of the water. Stay away from bushes or tall clumps of grasses at the water's edge. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Gators spend the majority of their life in the water or along the banks of the river, Marsh, swamp or Lake that they inhabit. On land they can move swiftly for a short period but are generally much slower and ungainly than when they are in the water.

Gator sightings at Disney are far from rare since it exists in Florida and alligators are literally everywhere and expecting them not to be at Disney is the same as expecting Disney to control the weather, so be very aware of the fact they will be around if you are near/on a lake or at an area that is marshy. They exist inside the Magic Kingdom itself. Do not go anywhere near tall grasses by water or marsh areas at your resort. Do not for ANY reason go into or near the water at resorts like GF, Poly, or Fort Wilderness. If you are on Tom Sawyer island at MK, listen to the CMs and do not reach into the water or try to swim in the water there. Do not walk beach paths (like between GF and Poly) at night. Do not poke around bushes on property because you never know what is lurking within them. Do not argue with cast members when they ask you to not go into the lake water, even if you only want to go in to your ankles. If you see a gator, do not approach it in order to get a picture/selfie (I've seen other guests do this at the Poly - GF pathway), do not approach it to try and "scare it away", or to poke it with sticks to see how they react. Also do not freak out screaming and making all kinds of noise. These animals can move insanely fast when they feel threatened or cornered, despite how clunky and slow they look. Quietly turn around, find the nearest CM and report the sighting with specific location information so they can call and have the animal relocated.

Until all the facts about what's happened tonight are released (and that's even if they all are), do not make any assumptions about what happened so your mind does not run away from you with fear or make you paranoid about alligators while at wdw. That is the #1 tip I can give to people, based on comments on other forums I've seen popping up tonight.

^Great info ....

- Do NOT go in the lakes.
- Do NOT even touch the water in the lakes (shallow water also breeds amoeba).
- Do NOT go even close to the edge of water from dusk on.
- Do NOT walk close to shrubbery or bushes right on the water.
- Always be aware near the water.
- Spring through July is breeding season, eggs in big nests are in vegetation, hatching in August & Sept.
- Gators will defend their nests so you don't want to walk anywhere close.
- Do not allow small children to walk on their own by the water areas. Carry or stroller.
- We never let our toddler children walk around anywhere around dark areas or resorts on their own (other things like snakes).
- READ THE SIGNS, they are there for serious reasons.
- Disney "relocates" any gators over about 6 foot.

This is their native land, they are in all water areas and even been know to show up in salt water. BE AWARE.

Florida is full of wildlife and WE must be aware. Disney is a very lush and mostly natural property full of animals.

Disney has TONS of wild animals not just the bunny, duck kind. They have snakes, gators, lizards, wild pigs, deer, rats, armadillos and even panthers/cougars.

Did I say BE AWARE of your surroundings?

Last edited:
Watching news conference .............. Orange County Sheriff is talking.

He has said three times the child was IN the water playing while Dad was standing close by.

DO NOT GO IN THE WATER.

ESPECIALLY FROM DUSK THROUGH DARK.

THOSE SIGNS ARE NO JOKE.

This does not sound like a rogue gator coming on to the beach to attack. It was dark, there was something small splashing in the water, it probably thought it was a duck or small animal. May have had a nest in the overgrowth that isn't far away and feared an animal would bother the nest.

HORRIFIC SAD EVENT :sad1:

Last edited:
I always thought those signs were just due to the bacteria in the water. I would have thought wading was safe. The signs don't say anything about gators do they?

Are aligators nocturnal? Are the searays (the little boats zipping around) safe? I don't know that I would be comfortable in one. They probably don't capsize easily, but a big gator would be really close in one of those!

I also wonder if movies on the beach will be relocated or have some sort of additional safety measures.

Not being from FL, if I see a sign that simply says "No swimming" I'm thinking, in the water up to your chest kind of no swimming. Letting my toddler splash around in very shallow water is not swimming to me, therefore I wouldn't be 'ignoring' the signs. Even riptides can't grab you unless the water is at least knee deep.

If I saw a sign that said, "WARNING, ALLIGATORS" I'd be a LOT more weary about letting my toddler play.

And while yes, Commin sense says there are gators in FL, I would've thought Disney would take precautions to keep them away (Gates at the waterway openings, etc) and I would not necessarily be thinking I needed to watch for them at my Disney owned resort. Not that they are responsible I'm not saying that, I'm just saying I would not have thought of that if I wasn't living there.

The no swimming rule in Bay Lake and Seven Seas started due to the bacteria. Before that the resorts had areas roped off for guests to swim which helped keep it safer. I cannot remember if during that time there were signs about not going into the water at night or not since it has been 20 years.

I have always equated "No Swimming" as do not go into the water, wading included, no matter were I am. Usually if there is a "No Swimming" sign there are multiple reasons. I know some places, even here in Ohio, where there are no swimming signs and it looks like you could wade out a 10-20 feet easily, but if you go even two feet it drops off about 10+ feet.

Not being from FL, if I see a sign that simply says "No swimming" I'm thinking, in the water up to your chest kind of no swimming. Letting my toddler splash around in very shallow water is not swimming to me, therefore I wouldn't be 'ignoring' the signs. Even riptides can't grab you unless the water is at least knee deep.

If I saw a sign that said, "WARNING, ALLIGATORS" I'd be a LOT more weary about letting my toddler play.

And while yes, Commin sense says there are gators in FL, I would've thought Disney would take precautions to keep them away (Gates at the waterway openings, etc) and I would not necessarily be thinking I needed to watch for them at my Disney owned resort. Not that they are responsible I'm not saying that, I'm just saying I would not have thought of that if I wasn't living there.
Same here. I just wasn't thinking that way before. I won't forget now.

Just saw the news report; apparently Fish and Wildlife found at least 4 other gators in Bay Lake in the past few hours, but so far NOT the one involved in the incident. There are gators in Bay Lake, period. Praying for the family.

I would suggest guest stop feeding ALL wild animals and birds they see on property. Actually, stop feeding them at home too! You are not helping the animal in any way by feeding it.

MsA
So true. Stop feeding them, and stop harassing them. When we were there over Easter, my mother and I encountered a young (9-10 year old) boy and his father several times around CSR. The boy had a little net and the father was carrying the ice bucket (no ice) from their room. The boy was chasing and catching lizards (there was no short supply), and they were dumping them into the ice bucket. It bothered us, but we didn't say anything. I assume they released the lizards after the boy had finished "playing" with them, but how traumatic for the poor lizards! Reminded me of Darla from Finding Nemo.

Another time, we watched a very young toddler chasing a duck around the tables at Casey's Corner. As we all know, the ducks at WDW are pretty bold and walk around like they own the place (Donald would agree). Well this duck was doing her thing, waddling around the tables eating the scraps on the ground, and this little girl started after her. The duck was smart enough to stay just out of reach of the child, but a few times she turned and kind of snapped her bill at the little girl's outstretched hands. The adults with this child just sat at their table and watched and laughed.

The incident with the gator is truly heartbreaking and terrifying. I'm sure there will be new security measures put in place around every body of water on the property as a result of this tragedy. But I also think a good rule of thumb when letting a 2 year old toddler go play in the edge of ANY body of water ANYWHERE is to keep that child between ME and the shore. If he's going to be in the water, I'm going to be between him and the open expanse of water. Especially a body of water with "No Swimming" signs and no lifeguard on duty, at night, in Florida. Ugh...I hate even typing that, because I'm sure that child's poor father is absolutely distraught at all of the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" thoughts going through his head right now. Bless his heart. We make mistakes, we all do. Our judgment lapses and we do careless things. He's not the first, and won't be the last. It's just soo sad. :(

A couple of things

1. You are probably not at a lot of risk out on the lake doing things like skiing or taking the Pirate Cruise. Gator's aren't deep water feeders.
2. Gators are attracted to movement... in other words splashing in the water is attracting the gator he sees dinner! The toddler should never play "in the edge" of bodies of water where there are Gators. There's no need for you to get injured by putting yourself between the child and the gator if you don't play there.

I am not sure how folks think Disney is "keeping the gators out" or why there seems to be a theory that I have read on the internet today that "There are not Gators in man made lakes" It's water, they are attracted to it, they move. There is no "gator free zone" in most of Florida!

Once again we are victims of the "Pixie Dust" effect that seems to suspend the belief that anything bad can happen at Disney :( This poor family!

I always thought those signs were just due to the bacteria in the water. I would have thought wading was safe. The signs don't say anything about gators do they?

Are aligators nocturnal? Are the searays (the little boats zipping around) safe? I don't know that I would be comfortable in one. They probably don't capsize easily, but a big gator would be really close in one of those!

I also wonder if movies on the beach will be relocated or have some sort of additional safety measures.

The signs that I have seen at the Beach Club and Poly absolutely do NOT say anything about alligators. I thought the non swimming sign was for bacteria also.

We have stayed at other properties on water in FL and their signs DO say alligators!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter