Gay character in "Beauty and The Beast"

Due to the gay character in "Beauty and The Beast", will you still take your kids to see the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I'm on the fence.

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkseyf

Earning My Ears
Due to the media pouncing on this story, I wonder if it's going to have some backlash on whether or not people will take their children to see this movie. Maybe a poll can help enlighten us on how people feel about this.

I think, from what I gather, parents are concerned that they're exposing their children to mature concepts that they might not be ready to address with them.

I can understand that, but it's Beauty and the Beast. Also, it has a rating of PG for some action, peril, and freightening images. It doesn't mention anything remotely based on sexual content.

Besides that, if a parent is concerned that there is a gay character, I certainly hope they're not showing their child Toy Story 3 or TV shows like Modern Family. With TS3 there are so many innuendos with the character of Ken, and with Modern Family there is an openly gay couple.

They're not going to have blatant sexual and physical activity in the film, and if a parent is concerned about the message, are they also concerned in the style of dresses that Disney princesses often wear that can be sexually suggestive, or the physical affection that straight couples show? If that's ok, then having a character that identifies as gay shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

I voted yes, but my children are older and have friends that are gay, so not a big deal to any of us. But speaking as a Christian parent, I would still choose to take my young children to see it as long as it is not openly sexual. As a Christian, I need to raise my children to not judge a person based on their sexuality and if they see 2 men or 2 women together, it is not for us to judge. It is said that almost 5-10% of the population considers themselves to be homosexual. If we were to have a movie with 100 characters and none were gay, we would not be representing the true diversity of the population.

There are also the evangelical Christians out there that like Disney for being "family-friendly" and it might turn some of them off because of their beliefs. That's just some of the backlash I'm seeing.

There are also the evangelical Christians out there that like Disney for being "family-friendly" and it might turn some of them off because of their beliefs. That's just some of the backlash I'm seeing.
Having an openly gay character does not make it less "family-friendly" though, and to be honest, those with that type of thinking represent an archaic way of thinking that sets society back 50 years.

I've got 2 young kids, and will gladly take my kids to the movie.

If Disney loses a few tickets because people can't handle that society has evolved, then I think that's fine.

Besides, do those same people that are criticizing the movie due to an openly gay character have an issue with the actors and actresses, both live action and animated that are openly gay?

Did these same people have an issue with The Little Mermaid, the original Beauty and the Beast, etc. that Howard Ashman was a lyricist for? He was openly gay and created much of what we love about Beauty and the Beast? Did they dislike Finding Nemo and Finding Dory, since Ellen D. is openly gay?

If that's fine with them, then they don't have an argument.

One cannot be against an on-screen character for their sexual preference, if they're fine with people behind the scenes being openly gay.

Last edited:
I voted yes, but my children are older and have friends that are gay, so not a big deal to any of us. But speaking as a Christian parent, I would still choose to take my young children to see it as long as it is not openly sexual. As a Christian, I need to raise my children to not judge a person based on their sexuality and if they see 2 men or 2 women together, it is not for us to judge. It is said that almost 5-10% of the population considers themselves to be homosexual. If we were to have a movie with 100 characters and none were gay, we would not be representing the true diversity of the population.
Exactly!

Ok so I just found a clip of the Gaston's song and I've just gotta say that it doesn't seem hidden agenda, sending a message to me. It looks stereotypical flamboyant by the mannerisms and what not. Personally if it wouldn't have been on here and all of the news I would have watched it and afterwards be saying I couldn't believe how flamboyant they made the LeFou character. It's not subtle from the 45 seconds I saw.

I see as of now 5 people voted "no" but surprisingly no comments representing their views. HMMMMM maybe don't want to answer to the rest of the dis about their backwards views?

Yes, my kids have known of kids with two moms or two dads since they were in preschool. We've also taught them that anyone even marry someone of any gender.

Ok so I just found a clip of the Gaston's song and I've just gotta say that it doesn't seem hidden agenda, sending a message to me. It looks stereotypical flamboyant by the mannerisms and what not. Personally if it wouldn't have been on here and all of the news I would have watched it and afterwards be saying I couldn't believe how flamboyant they made the LeFou character. It's not subtle from the 45 seconds I saw.

What musical is not going to have someone acting flamboyantly?

My kids (ranging in age 10-4), honestly don't even pick up on stuff like that as being "gay." They honestly see it as flamboyant or funny.

I see as of now 5 people voted "no" but surprisingly no comments representing their views. HMMMMM maybe don't want to answer to the rest of the dis about their backwards views?
Probably because it's easier to hide than to have the courage to support their views.

I found it interesting , as well though.

My kids (ranging in age 10-4), honestly don't even pick up on stuff like that as being "gay." They honestly see it as flamboyant or funny.
Exactly-and for those that will pick up on it, they've probably been taught to be accepting, or that the very least understanding of social norms in 2017.

All I did was make a personal observation about what I saw. Nowhere did I say what I thought other adults or children or anyone would see, just ME.

All I did was make a personal observation about what I saw. Nowhere did I say what I thought other adults or children or anyone would see, just ME.

Oh, I wasn't attacking you, I was just piggybacking that I don't think acting flamboyantly is even a big deal.

I know some pretty conservative people and flamboyant isn't even a problem for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter