Gay Day?

Have no idea of the numbers but we have been there twice during that time and for some reason the crowds seemed a bit lighter. It could have something to do with a lot of the more Northern schools don't get out until the second week of June. This could however be offset in any given year by the fact that the majority of Southern schools get out before Memorial Day. Both times we were there at this time of year the crowds were there but very manageble and ride waits never exceeded 15 to 20 minutes.

brerrabbit said:
Have no idea of the numbers but we have been there twice during that time and for some reason the crowds seemed a bit lighter. It could have something to do with a lot of the more Northern schools don't get out until the second week of June. This could however be offset in any given year by the fact that the majority of Southern schools get out before Memorial Day. Both times we were there at this time of year the crowds were there but very manageble and ride waits never exceeded 15 to 20 minutes.
This is good to hear. I was worried about the crowds since each day there is an EMH am and pm. This made me a little worried about crowds.

Hi Everyone

I'm going for the first time to Gay Day with a close Gay Friend.

I'm looking forward to putting on my Red Mickey Shirt.
It's hanging in the closet (no pun), waiting to be packed.

I'm a little nervous about the crowds, so if it gets too intense I will head away from the Magic Kingdom that Saturday and head over to EPCOT !

I am staying onsite for 8 nights starting with the prior weekend, mostly at the Beach Club Villas, and a couple nights at the Villas of the Wilderness Lodge upon arrival.

I am wondering where it would be nice to dine at in the Magic Kingdom on Gay Day? Any suggestions ? I have only dined at the Crystal Palace there.

Phil

I don't understand why this is an issue. Gay Day? Who cares, in my opinion. Gay people are no more likely then anyone else hetero/trans/bi to cause a problem. I am going that week, didn't know about Gay Day, with my husband and 13 DD. I am a police officer working as a detective in Child Crimes and believe me there is not one type of sexual orientation statistically that offends more then others. I absolutely am disgusted when people say they just "want to be cautious" - Of What?

Sorry if I offended, just my 2 cents.

Haveamagicalday! said:
My family and I will be arriving on the actual gay day. We wont be attending MK that day just to be cautious. I have seen pictures and it seems there a lot of people in red. Idk if we are overreacting or not, but we live in the buckle of the bible belt in Oklahoma and are very sheltered. :earsboy:
I am LOL at the line "..wont be attending MK THAT day just to be cautious."
All this sounds like the South 1950's, the city park/pool avoided on a Wed, because it was "colored" day.
FYI Disney is one of the largest employers of Gays in the state of Florida. It seems now more than ever Gays are popping up everywhere. And I have found them to be just like "regular" people. What are you afraid of? I doubt they will break out into spontanious broadway show tunes or fashion makeovers while you and the family are qued for Pirates of the Caribbean. My Family has been to WDW several tiimes during gaydays, and we met Parents of Gay children, Gay Parents with Straight kids, Straight brothers with Gay sisters. Enjoy the parks, knowing IF you see two women holding hands, IF you make a Big deal of it your children will. You dont have to get into a big birds and bees speach- if asked just say those two ladies are obviously good friends and like each other.
Enjoy the parks knowing that friendly Castmember who upgraded your Resort room or extended a Disney smile to your family very well maybe a gay person. Regardless of YOUR religion, lets not pass on hate or judgement. I leave the judgement to the Almighty. :grouphug:

mickeyfan2 said:
Just trying to get a handle on the actual attendance at WDW in early June. Does anybody know?

Mickeyfan2, the attendance level at WDW are high during the first part of June, but they are managable if you get to the parks early and take every advantage possible of the Fast Pass system. The only thing I would reccommend is to avoid MK on any saturday during early summer, this seems to be when the park is the busiest. We have been to the World during the first week of June over the last 2 years and have had a blast in spite of the crowds and have only waited in line more than 25 minutes once by using Fast Pass.

Blknjman said:
IWhat are you afraid of? I doubt they will break out into spontanious broadway show tunes or fashion makeovers while you and the family are qued for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Sounds like fun - LOL

Greetings!

DW and I planned our trip a few weeks ago and I just found out today that it's during GayDays. At first I thought "Cool, that's got to be more interesting than the boring Flower Show". But then I realized that there's probably not going to be anything that would spook the horses ;) . As a married couple still in love after 25 years (had our 25th Anniversary dinner at 'Ohana!!!) hand-holding and a kiss now and then are good by us, regardless of the genders involved.

In fact, if GayDays keeps away all those folks who have trouble with events like this, then that means those who ARE at WDW will be of the more-tolerant variety - always a good thing!

Be well! :hippie:

DrTomorrow said:
Greetings!

DW and I planned our trip a few weeks ago and I just found out today that it's during GayDays. At first I thought "Cool, that's got to be more interesting than the boring Flower Show". But then I realized that there's probably not going to be anything that would spook the horses ;) . As a married couple still in love after 25 years (had our 25th Anniversary dinner at 'Ohana!!!) hand-holding and a kiss now and then are good by us, regardless of the genders involved.

In fact, if GayDays keeps away all those folks who have trouble with events like this, then that means those who ARE at WDW will be of the more-tolerant variety - always a good thing!

Congratulations on 25 years!!!! And may you have 50 more years of wedded bliss!!!

Thank you for your comments, and may more people take your example... :cheer2:

-Christal

first of all, i've been away from disboards for a while at didn't even realize this board was here- pretty cool. :thumbsup2

to the person who said what's the big deal, the only big deal I can come up with is that personally I would avoid any park where I knew a huge group of people were planning on congregating- be it a gay thing, a church thing, contest winners, nascar fans, people who love dogs, whatever. I see a large group at one park as an invitation to visit another park that day. I don't want to wait in lines longer than I have to with three kids :)

A few things here to comment on- first, speedos-ick. all I think of with them is this old man we saw on the beach one time sitting down and his tummy was covering his legs and it looked like he was naked. we were teens at the time and we kept looking. one of those train wreck don't wanna look but can't seem to stop myself things. lol we were relieved when he got up from his chair to see that there was at least some covering involved but whew, that was a close one,lol :rotfl:

as for "exposing" your kids to stuff it is only as big a deal as you want to make it. I liked the response about 'because they love each other' we have gay friends so I doubt my kids would be fazed by much but that's a great answer to give. like so much else it's all about how the parents treat the situation than anything else. i had a friend who was going to be nursing her new baby and was all freaked out about how to explain it to her 4 year old. when i had the same situation when my twins were born all i told my oldest was 'when you were a baby mommy made milk for you, and now I am going to make milk for the twins too' her response? 'thanks for the milk when i was a baby' :rotfl2: it was a non issue because we made it a non issue.

and on the subject of gay wdw cast members, yep, there sure are a bunch out there. some of the nicest people you could ever hope to deal with too. when i worked at wdw doing the college program i used to hope to get paired up for the day with one of the gay guys in my department, they were SO much fun to work with! anyhoo, enough from me :)

Becky

ECurto said:
"TAKitty" I’m sorry you didn’t understand my humor. I assure you I was speaking in jest. I simply meant that it’s funny to me that so many parents come on these boards to “fearfully” find out what their children are going to see on gay days. This upsets me b/c if I wanted to show ANY sort of affection to my partner at Disney I get stares, people pointing, laughing, whispering etc. Its heart breaking. Just once id like to hold Kirks hand during fireworks… oh and I mean not during the 1 weekend a year when people are nationally made aware ill be there. Speaking from a psychologists (my profession) standpoint, guarding or not exposing your children to things is what will do the real damage. Most children want to be like their parents, and learn from them. So if you explain to them (preferably without out your own prejudices) about same sex couples they will understand. Why does it have to be any more complex then “they love each other” or “sometime boys and girls fall in love, some times two boys or two girls do”. I know we live in a time where church and state are not separated (as much as they should be) and I also know that there are gay people out there who will go over board and play to the stereotype and confirm your “fears”. Understand these people are the extreme, just as there is an extreme to any group of people. Bottom line is love is love. Teach your kids about love and not about the package it comes in, and you’ll raise well adjusted loving children of your own.

Great post! My hubby and I are the parents of 3 children, 2 boys age 9 and 19, and a daughter, age 14. My fav BIL is gay, and has been with his significant other for 20 some years. They have spent a lot of time with with us, including staying in the same bedroom at our home, and babysitting our kids through the years, at their home. Their relationship, and the interactions with our family has helped to teach my kids acceptance of different lifestyles and beliefs. I don't think my kids would even notice if 2 men or 2 women were holding hands, any more than they'd notice a man and woman doing it. Its just not an issue.

PHILCT said:
Hi Everyone

I'm a little nervous about the crowds, so if it gets too intense I will head away from the Magic Kingdom that Saturday and head over to EPCOT !

I am staying onsite for 8 nights starting with the prior weekend, mostly at the Beach Club Villas, and a couple nights at the Villas of the Wilderness Lodge upon arrival.

I am wondering where it would be nice to dine at in the Magic Kingdom on Gay Day? Any suggestions ? I have only dined at the Crystal Palace there.

Phil

Maybe you and your friend will enjoy CRT. My hubby and I love it and the food is wonderful. Also, we love eatting at Tony's, if you get a good seating outside or near the window, you can watch the parade go by :)

Jackie

ECurto said:
Speaking as "one of them" id have to say its "us" who cant stand seeing you "heteros" kissing during firworks, or holding hands while you walk down main street, or showing affection during a meal. I mean really the way nobody cares is appauling! God forbid I wanted to do that, id get every billy bob and his wife/sister making a comment while pulling their kids away. Any idea when we can go to avoid that. Oh and p.s. its DISNEY... like 70% of the company is gay ... HELLO!!!!

I have to agree with you on this one. NOBODY cares when a man and woman is kissing or showing affection at Disney. My husband and I were in AK waiting to see the Lion King Show and in line with us, was this couple that was going at it, like they were the only one's around. They were tonguing each other, he licked her neck and rubbed her behind, she was rubbing him and moaning, it was sooo offensive. We had to cover my ds's eyes, a couple of times because these two were getting out of hand and finally, my dh asked them if they could cool it because there are children in line and some pretty offended adults, as well. I just don't understand the parents that don't mind their children watching a man and a woman, tonguing each other and rubbing one another's body parts, in front of their children. But, they see a same sex couple holding hands, looking at each other with care or anything that resembles kindness or love and they over react. My BIL is gay and he and his BF is going to be in our Vow Renewal Wedding at Disney. He and his BF has more self-respect, in regards to PDA, than many of the hetero's I've seen, there.

Jackie

PHILCT said:
Hi Everyone

Phil

Hi there Phil :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:

We're also from the great state of Connecticut!

I've heard that Cinderella's Royal Table is a HOOT on the Saturday of Gay Day.

Crystal Palace is great too, for the views.

Get me a shoot, maybe kevin and I and you guys could meet for cocktails.

We're stay at the Grand Floridian and Mizners is a great place for an afternoon drink.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bob

matocody1997 said:
We are considering the first weekend of June for our next trip to WDW and I just discovered that is "gay day." I was wondering what other people's experiences were during this event. What are the crowd levels like? I'm also concerned about what my 8 year old son will see while there. I don't think we are ready for the "birds and the bees" discussion yet. What days are the parks crowded with people for gay day and what parks do they usually go to? I hope I don't offend anyone with this question, as that is certainly not my intention. I'm just trying to avoid crowds, if possible, and any uncomfortable situations with my son.

My family has gone during this time and haven't seen anything, that we don't usually see. We have, always, had a blast anytime we have gone to Disney, including during Gay Days. Actually, we are having our vow renewal ceremony at Disney, next year and our honeymoon will flow over to Gay Days, as well. You have, absolutely, nothing to worry about if you are concerned with gays/lesbians being inappropriate. We find they are there to have fun and relax, just like everyone else. However, some of our young, straight couples may leave you a little concerned about little eyes.

Have fun and really, there's no need to worry :)

Jackie

I hope this is an appropriate post but I wanted to address those parents who are afraid of what their children will see if they attend Gay Days. I grew up in a very open minded house and had lots of gay friends so I never thought twice about it. (also was a theatre major in large city college, amazing time!) Later in life I married a man who was the complete opposite, including homophobic. It was the one topic we agreed to disagree on because it would send us into raging debates. I didn't realize, until our first WDW trip that DH had never really met or socialized with gay people, most of his opinion had been formed by the media. When we went to WDW, it was not during gaydays but who ever said there were a higher percentage of employees was correct, he really got to know some of the wonderful CM's as real people and not just media images created for drama. It was great. His mind was opened to acceptance. My point is, yes I do have one, that your children/family will be exposed to alternate lifestyles through media, friends, classmates, etc. For their sake, let them be taught by real people, see them laughing and having fun, taking care of their children and family. Don't let preconcieved notions or the media dictate your or another generations views on the subject.

Sorry so long!

Texa said:
I hope this is an appropriate post but I wanted to address those parents who are afraid of what their children will see if they attend Gay Days. I grew up in a very open minded house and had lots of gay friends so I never thought twice about it. (also was a theatre major in large city college, amazing time!) Later in life I married a man who was the complete opposite, including homophobic. It was the one topic we agreed to disagree on because it would send us into raging debates. I didn't realize, until our first WDW trip that DH had never really met or socialized with gay people, most of his opinion had been formed by the media. When we went to WDW, it was not during gaydays but who ever said there were a higher percentage of employees was correct, he really got to know some of the wonderful CM's as real people and not just media images created for drama. It was great. His mind was opened to acceptance. My point is, yes I do have one, that your children/family will be exposed to alternate lifestyles through media, friends, classmates, etc. For their sake, let them be taught by real people, see them laughing and having fun, taking care of their children and family. Don't let preconcieved notions or the media dictate your or another generations views on the subject.

Sorry so long!

THANK YOU!!! :cheer2:

This is the very point I tried to make in another post here earlier...SO many people who have hatred in their hearts towards homosexuals are the same people who have never even met a gay person! (or at least they are not aware that they have met them...they probably encounter gay people all the time in their daily lives and don't even know it) But if we get out there and make a point to MEET people and SHOW them that our lives and our relationships are just as committed and loving as theirs are...that the fear they have of us is unfounded and ridiculous!!! It obviosly works...your DH is living proof!!

-Christal

DrTomorrow said:
Greetings!

Hey DrTomorrow
Good for you and the DW - The World Disney built needs more people like you, people who Live and Let Live. :hippie:
Happy Anniversary to you. You and the DW are invited to have a drink with me to toast your Anniversary. I am staying at Disney's Yacht Club Epcot. Drop me a line: blknjman at aol

As for spooking the horses, other than the a minor event of a lad wearing a kilt (regemental style) while at the Magic Kingdom. ( Sorta dumb thing to do not wearing at least a pair of bike shorts underneath), other than that
during the day it usually tame.

"I done Disney World as a straight man, and now I do Disney World as a gay man. Do you think, "It's a small world after all", maybe Walt Disney was on to some thing :wizard:

In response to those who would choose not to go to MK or elsewhere in WDW because you want to be "cautious" and avoid PDA's from same-sex couples, I feel I must advise you that in order to be that cautious, you must avoid WDW every day. I and my wife (yes, we are legally married, and were married in our church even - we are Canadian) will hold hands and, at times, exchange a quick kiss on any day at WDW and anywhere else in the world. I know that there are some who would consider this unsympathetic to other's feelings. But I think it is no more appropriate to ask me to hide who I am (and who I love and have married) than it is to ask a biracial couple to hide their love because you don't approve of miscegenation.

It really isn't possible in this day and age to avoid all exposure to gay, lesbian or bisexual people. Much better to follow all the excellent advice offered earlier and explain "because they love each other" to your children.

I don't take offense to the question asked, which I feel was asked openly and honestly. I think that the discussion has been excellent and would like to thank previous posters for their comments. I simply feel the need to identify that same-sex PDAs are not limited to one day at WDW or anywhere else.

hematite153 said:
In response to those who would choose not to go to MK or elsewhere in WDW because you want to be "cautious" and avoid PDA's from same-sex couples, I feel I must advise you that in order to be that cautious, you must avoid WDW every day. I and my wife (yes, we are legally married, and were married in our church even - we are Canadian) will hold hands and, at times, exchange a quick kiss on any day at WDW and anywhere else in the world. I know that there are some who would consider this unsympathetic to other's feelings. But I think it is no more appropriate to ask me to hide who I am (and who I love and have married) than it is to ask a biracial couple to hide their love because you don't approve of miscegenation.

It really isn't possible in this day and age to avoid all exposure to gay, lesbian or bisexual people. Much better to follow all the excellent advice offered earlier and explain "because they love each other" to your children.

I don't take offense to the question asked, which I feel was asked openly and honestly. I think that the discussion has been excellent and would like to thank previous posters for their comments. I simply feel the need to identify that same-sex PDAs are not limited to one day at WDW or anywhere else.

Oh, my. For all that I don't usually let this issue get to me - and professionally it's important that I don't because I officiate at marriages all the time - it was just so terrific to read about a legal gay marriage that's legal where you live. How wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter