Geeks on a boat, now with more geeks! Literally. Alaska 2013 planning starts now!

Time is flying! :duck:

The first Alaska run of the season sails tomorrow. Navigator-stalkers, start your engines. :rotfl:

Started! :surfweb:

That totally helps- thank you. We HAD to make a trip to the Disney Store today to get my son the Mike Wazoski shirt I had been searching for- a friend tipped me off they had it there. They had only two left- I think it was last year's and it is off their site. I wanted it for Pixar night- but it is the florescent green one with the GIANT eye in the middle- and all they had was a 4, so he can wear it for at least a year. I figure this can be my go to shirt when we are headed somewhere I need to spot him in a crowd because WOW this shirt is bright! At least, that is how I justified it to myself to buy another shirt for this cruise. I resisted the Gymboree across the way, but really, my husband was with us. :rotfl:

:lmao:

I spent a few hours last night talking my stepmother down from packing 8 bazillion outfit options for Vancouver. We're Florida people. Jeans and a t-shirt will be fine. We might even be cold. Who knows. But we do NOT need three different pairs of shorts, plus capris, plus a light jacket.

WE DO NOT.

And then yesterday adter naptime, I asked my three year old what she wanted to do and she said "let's get ready for Alaska!" I swear, I did not coach her to say that. After wiping a proud tear from my eye, I managed to get her to try on not one, not two but FOUR pairs of pants to see what was too small. And sadly, 2/5 of her 3T jeans no longer fit her! This kid, I swear. Every time I think I have enough clothes for her, she grows another quarter of an inch and then everything is too short and she complains about her feet hurting in the shoes I JUST BOUGHT.

Yeah, honey, I know. Mommy's hurting too. In the wallet region.

Luckily her jacket and tops all still fir just fine, and she has a few pairs of khaki-weight pants that I think will work for the not-so-cold days. But I will need to hit Target this week for a few pairs of leggings to fill in the gaps. Other than that, I think we'll manage with what we have. And a few trips to the laundry room.

I scoffed at my parents for buying her size 9 boots two months ago, when she was still wearing a size 7. I said "well, I guess I can get her some thick socks...." and of course they exchanged a knowing look, because who's laughing now? She's totally busting out of her size 8 shoes....thank goodness converse run a little big, I think we can still get away with those for this trip. With thin socks. :thumbsup2

There is also one more thing I need to get that I had not considered necessary until our trip to New York, when it rained all through takeoff and landing: a water-resistant stroller bag. Because after nine plus hours of travel, the last thing I will need is to lug 35 pounds of tired, cranky preschooler through the Vancouver airport because the stroller is soaked. Not the best way to start your vacation.

It's getting ridiculously close. Two more weekends!

Can't believe the 1st Alaska cruise has set off and its been a year since I was on it. Rain is a definate possibility so be prepared.

Can't believe the 1st Alaska cruise has set off and its been a year since I was on it. Rain is a definate possibility so be prepared.

Oh, yes. I'm thinking it's more a PROBABILITY! lol
We found that raingear worked well last time, I've never been a giant fan of umbrellas since I spent three years in Edinburgh. I learned that the wind is not your friend, and a hooded raincoat is much warmer!

So we've pretty much gotten everything settled. Last week I'd been contacting different transportation companies to hire a driver for the trips to and from the airport. It was so easy and reasonable last time. But apparently, add a few more adults into the mix and suddenly no one offers SUVs or Vans....it's a stretch or a super stretch for $150 each way (plus a $20 service fee AND a tip)! :sad2:
So upon further investigation, I learned it's actually pretty easy to get a taxi from the airport. Plus, they will call a van if that's what you need. For $35! Also, there is a shuttle from the cruise terminal back to the airport for $15 a person, and you can reserve a seat in advance.

For those of you who like math, that makes $110 ROUND TRIP for a family of five. It might not come with champagne in the back, but with what we are saving we can buy a bottle of champagne on the boat! Or two! Maybe even three....

In other news, I am starting to get panicked....ABOUT WORK.

Last time we went on a trip of this duration I was working part-time as a staff therapist, so there wasn't much to prep other than "here's what I did with these patients - your turn!" This time, however, I am running a department of 35 people. There is so much to do to get ready! I have to wrap up the June schedule and send it out, I have to prep a list of who is covering me on what days, I have to let people know what meetings I will be missing, I have to set up my away message, I have to roll out all of the updates to my team captains.....

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Packing? Pshhhh. I can do that with my eyes closed. It's the work prep that's freaking me out! And the worry over what my inbox will look like upon my return. :scared:

And people wonder why I need a vacation :rolleyes1

We are doing exactly the same as you, just grabbing a taxi from the airport

The prices really don't seem too bad and when we looked at pre-booking a scheduled pick up it was just so expensive. I really can't be bothered to use the train after a 10 hour flight with our cases!

I hear what you are saying about work. I feel like everything is set at home but I have so much stuff to do at work still and only one week left in the office to do it all!

Argh - it's so close now :)

We got the train and it was really easy. But we didn't have a kiddy to think about.

It's officially the home stretch, and I am feeling it. I'm working Sunday through Wednesday this week (to save a vacation day, which at this point in time seems hardly worth it but hey....) and then we fly out on Thursday at ridiculous-o-clock in the morning.

This weekend we got the last of the things we needed: snacks, hand warmers, scotch guard for the shoes and so on. I even managed to get half of Isabelle's things set aside for packing (I'm saving the rest until I actually pull the suitcases down from the closet). AND, we arranged a "trial run" of the evening routine with our housesitter who is gracious enough to take the care of on our grumpy bird and quirky dog for nearly two weeks.

I'm guessing the fact that we have strange animals is of little surprise to anyone reading this. I can't help but wonder what they are like when we are away - do they mope around, or are they totally partying it up? I'll bet our parrot is flying around our room madly while the dog sprawls on the bed and makes long-distance phone calls.

I'm in that state of excited disbelief that it's so close, but I am also freaking out a bit. I was at work for 12 hours on Friday. I'll probably be there late tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday as well. I am in the midst of orienting a new-hire and I just put two requisitions in for open positions (as an aside, if you know any neuro-trained therapists in the Central Florida area, tell them I'd like to make them an offer they can't refuse). And a giant uniform order just came in for the entire team which has to be sorted and distributed. Have to finish the July schedule and send it out, have to fill in about three spreadsheets that are all due at the end of the month and have to leave organized notes and schedules for those covering for me while I am away.

Why did I want this promotion again? :rotfl:

Needless to say, I am stressing. I have no idea when I will have the time to pack. I'm thinking about heading out early on Wednesday since I probably won't be able to focus on anything productive anyhow, and then locking myself in the bedroom until everything we are taking is zipped and weighed and organized.
After that, I will be locking myself in the bathroom and taking the world's longest bath. And probably also taking care of my child at some point.

I did find some time this evening to look at a trip report or two, and the little spark of "oooohhhhh" started to ignite. I get goose bumps looking at Tracy Arm, and all of the wacky seal pictures just make me smile.

It's totally going to be worth it.

So if you're in the Orlando airport at 6am on Thursday? My kid will be the one in her PJ's and a single askew ponytail holding a gangly cow and eating a doughnut from the food court. Odds are I won't be looking any more glamorous or eating anything healthier. But, I will be on vacation, and that's what really counts.

How exciting!! We still have 5 more weeks- but I am sure it will fly by..... :rotfl2: I am a teacher so I am at home with my 2 right now. Hmmmmm..... that is sorta good and sorta eh. We try to stay busy which helps the stir crazy hot as heck afternoons. Today my son was freezing in the butter aisle. I told him he was gonna have a rough time in Alaska- not that he knows what Alaska is!

Hi Erica!:goodvibes
I am so excited you are finally going- can't wait to read all about it. You are very smart to bring your daughter NOW, when she can't tell you she doesn't want to go on a cold cruise in summer- because that is what my teenagers tell me every time I try to get them onboard for Alaska next year. :headache: My DH says he will go- guess I should start working harder on him, huh?

Have WONDERFUL weather and a GLORIOUS experience- hope to see you sometime on some ship with a certain bunch of fun mommies....:rolleyes1

Ellen

Have a fantastic trip! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Jill in CO

It's almost stressing me out that I haven't started packing yet. :crazy2:

Laundry is drying, dog is snoring, kitchen counter is just sitting there not cleaning itself and I am plopped on the couch because I am just DONE. In addition to work craziness that had already ensued, one of my employees just informed me that his military drill starts TOMORROW.
For TWO AND A HALF WEEKS.
And I have no coverage for him, let alone time to find any. Awesome.

An open letter to my entire department,
Seriously?
No, really, all of you: SERIOUSLY???
*sigh*
Signed,
Not amused​

And then, because open letters are cathartic, I wrote another.

Dear kitchen counter,
I brought home McDonald's for dinner in a fit of sheer laziness. So how could you have possibly gotten so dirty? I humbly request you self-sanitize so I can stay here on the couch. While you're at it, how about transforming into a classy granite or at least something less...formica-y.
Thanks a bunch,
Erica​

In other news, Lionel picked up his GINORMOUS rental lens today, and the thing weighs almost as much as Isabelle. I haven't seen him this giddy since the new season of Dr. Who started! I'm picturing myself standing on the deck of the whale boat trying to hold that thing up, and begging some stranger to press the shutter because I'm out of hands.
Yeah, right. Like he's even going to let me near it! He did let me touch it, but then immediately tucked it back in the protective case. He was mumbline something like "my precious...my precious...."

Home stretch! I'm tempted to go to bed right now just so tomorrow will get here faster :scratchin but there is laundry to fold, and a faux wood countertop to clean.

Yay... so exciting! I didn't know you could rent lenses- cool! Don't tell my husband!

Have a great trip!

It's almost stressing me out that I haven't started packing yet. :crazy2:

Laundry is drying, dog is snoring, kitchen counter is just sitting there not cleaning itself and I am plopped on the couch because I am just DONE. In addition to work craziness that had already ensued, one of my employees just informed me that his military drill starts TOMORROW.
For TWO AND A HALF WEEKS.
And I have no coverage for him, let alone time to find any. Awesome.

An open letter to my entire department,
Seriously?
No, really, all of you: SERIOUSLY???
*sigh*
Signed,
Not amused​

And then, because open letters are cathartic, I wrote another.

Dear kitchen counter,
I brought home McDonald's for dinner in a fit of sheer laziness. So how could you have possibly gotten so dirty? I humbly request you self-sanitize so I can stay here on the couch. While you're at it, how about transforming into a classy granite or at least something less...formica-y.
Thanks a bunch,
Erica​

In other news, Lionel picked up his GINORMOUS rental lens today, and the thing weighs almost as much as Isabelle. I haven't seen him this giddy since the new season of Dr. Who started! I'm picturing myself standing on the deck of the whale boat trying to hold that thing up, and begging some stranger to press the shutter because I'm out of hands.
Yeah, right. Like he's even going to let me near it! He did let me touch it, but then immediately tucked it back in the protective case. He was mumbline something like "my precious...my precious...."

Home stretch! I'm tempted to go to bed right now just so tomorrow will get here faster :scratchin but there is laundry to fold, and a faux wood countertop to clean.

I've been following your PTR and love it! So many things I'm living right now. Work is normally :surfweb:, but lately has been :scared1: and I can't find anyone who wants to be me while I'm out. :confused3 Uhhh...hello, 16 days and counting!

I didn't know you could rent lenses either. Think I could rent a lens, camera and maybe the brain or phtotographer to drag along? I always thought those cameras would be awesome if I knew how to use one, but last year I offered to take a pic for a family that had a big camera like that and it was so heavy I can't imagine the neck strain from carrying it all of the time.

Have a wonderful trip! I know your months of organizing and planning is going to do overcome your procrastination tonight...no worries!

I know what you mean about kitchen counters getting dirty when you've not used them but bathrooms are worse, 30 mins after cleaning it always seems dirty again.

You can rent lenses? That rocks! Is it a photo place near you or what?

Yay... so exciting! I didn't know you could rent lenses- cool! Don't tell my husband!

Have a great trip!

You can rent lenses? That rocks! Is it a photo place near you or what?

You can indeed! We did it online - there are sites like borrowlenses.com but I don't remember which one the hubs used...one where he could pick the lens up locally. But others will even deliver it to you! So we have a $2000 lens for two weeks, which costs about $120 (including insurance). Pretty cool!

I know what you mean about kitchen counters getting dirty when you've not used them but bathrooms are worse, 30 mins after cleaning it always seems dirty again.

Amen!
I just cleaned our bathroom, so I've got my eyes on them. Tempted to tell my husband to take it out back if he's gotta go ;)

I've been following your PTR and love it! So many things I'm living right now. Work is normally :surfweb:, but lately has been :scared1: and I can't find anyone who wants to be me while I'm out. :confused3 Uhhh...hello, 16 days and counting!

I didn't know you could rent lenses either. Think I could rent a lens, camera and maybe the brain or phtotographer to drag along? I always thought those cameras would be awesome if I knew how to use one, but last year I offered to take a pic for a family that had a big camera like that and it was so heavy I can't imagine the neck strain from carrying it all of the time.

Have a wonderful trip! I know your months of organizing and planning is going to do overcome your procrastination tonight...no worries!

Well, I left work at noon today and it's now out of my hands. All that stress....but I got everything accomplished that I had hoped to get accomplished, so I feel like I wrapped it all up. I'll try not to spend the next two weeks worrying about what I'll be walking into when I return!!! :eek:

Packing up a storm. I'm only taking a break because I forced myself to sit down and have a snack. The two suitcases are mostly packed, with the exception of a few last minute items that will go in later tonight or tomorrow morning (like the essential flat iron). The garment bag is pending the hubby's approval of said sportcoat/tie combos, but everything is laid out on my bed so it's just a matter of putting it all in and zipping it up at this point. I still have to do mine and Izzy's carry-ons, but that should be a breeze.

I have a confession:
I broke my cardinal rule and packed a lot of snacks.
:sad2:
I know! Shameful.
You see, we were out at Disney two weeks ago with some visiting friends and we got a little carried away (as we tend to do when we go out there) and suddenly 1/4 of the vacation fund had MYSTERIOUSLY VANISHED. Must have been sorcerer Mickey. At any rate, we opted to save a few bucks in Vancouver by packing extra granola bars, goldfish etc so we don't have to spend much at the grocery store. And also so we don't have to buy many snacks for "out and about" - we are a snacking kind of family, and snacks add up quickly! So I just grabbed a bunch of stuff from the pantry and threw it in.
Don't judge: I need that money for wine!

That said, the small bag weighs only 39 pounds and that's WITH all of the heavy stuff already packed, so I'm feeling pretty impressed with myself. The large bag? 34 pounds. :confused3
I don't know either.

Here's the rest of my evening's to-do list:
  • change the sheets
  • vaccuum
  • clean the kitchen
  • clean the guest bathroom
  • reserve the shuttle from the port to the airport
  • call DCL and put some cash on the shipboard account
  • pack the garment bag
  • finish the carry-ons
  • get all of the cr*p out of the back of the car so we can fit these suitcases somewhere
  • load up the car
  • get some sleep!

Alright geeks: let's do this.

Everything is done, car is (mostly) packed and all electronic devices are charging.
We'll have WiFi in Vancouver, so I may be able to get an update or two in before we sail. Until then - peace out!
:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter