Genie Plus, a must for busy days.

They can't release more Genie+ LL reservations. The attractions have a limited capacity per day. There needs to be room for stand-by. The LL must move quickly. There's an algorithm.

They could cap the number of Genie+ users. I'm pretty sure there's no limit on the number of buyers.
But the number of reservations per ride had to be WAY higher with fp+: everyone could use it (not everyone did, but certainly more than Genie+) AND you could get on the same ride multiple times per day...I'm talking 3 times each for each of the mountains at MK. If they want to keep the standby lines moving then fine...cap the number of $15 G+ purchases.

But the number of reservations per ride had to be WAY higher with fp+: everyone could use it (not everyone did, but certainly more than Genie+) AND you could get on the same ride multiple times per day...I'm talking 3 times each for each of the mountains at MK. If they want to keep the standby lines moving then fine...cap the number of $15 G+ purchases.
They have to keep the standby lines moving. Not everyone buys Genie+.

Wow, look at the Standby Line wait times right now, at the start of this busy Thanksgiving week.

I realize the Wait Times are inflated, but if I were at WDW right now, I would probably feel pressured into lightening my wallet in order to access Lightening Lanes.
But when the parks are extremely crowded, the LL slots for all of the good rides fill up so fast that G+ doesn’t actually get you more than one or two good rides, and maybe another couple of marginal ones. It is much less useful than FP+ was for high crowd days.

I was looking at the genie this afternoon at 1:30 and most attractions at Hollywood Studios had run out of lightening lane access… i thought HS would be a good park to use it at..but on a busy day I wonder how many attractions you will get on

They have to keep the standby lines moving. Not everyone buys Genie+.
Really? Why do they have to keep them moving? They must have allotted more ride percentage with fp+ due to everyone having it and multiple same rides. It's a paid system that clearly isn't working as advertised: one time quicker entrance for each ride minus the 2 best rides...it's not even close right now. But this is the first true stress test of it this week.

The number of reservations per ride was not higher with FP+, by all accounts. They just had more attractions, like Fantasmic, Illuminations, parades, meet & greets, etc., which provided a fair amount of extra capacity. All the rides and shows were running as well.

On super busy days (like today), all the FP+ rides for the headliners were sold out way in advance. Multiple insiders have said that with classic FP, FP+ and now Genie+ the most common ratio used by most of the headliner rides is 80% FP (LL), 20% standby.

It's barely possible that some of the rides are not running at full capacity because of staffing issues, but I think it's more likely that there are several big people eaters at some of the parks that are either gone or not operational. Indiana Jones alone would suck up thousands of guests for a long show. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a decent sized theater. Hollywood Studios just needs more rides and needs to have all the shows back open.

Today at DHS slinky, rise and MF were all booked up by 8:30AM (when I looked, so not sure when they booked up- especially MF) . Refresh brought a few 8PM options coming and going for MF. It makes me rethink how valuable it is at DHS. I orginally thought three decent rides would be a good value Xmas week, but I’m not totally sure you will even get that.

The number of reservations per ride was not higher with FP+, by all accounts. They just had more attractions, like Fantasmic, Illuminations, parades, meet & greets, etc., which provided a fair amount of extra capacity. All the rides and shows were running as well.

On super busy days (like today), all the FP+ rides for the headliners were sold out way in advance. Multiple insiders have said that with classic FP, FP+ and now Genie+ the most common ratio used by most of the headliner rides is 80% FP (LL), 20% standby.

It's barely possible that some of the rides are not running at full capacity because of staffing issues, but I think it's more likely that there are several big people eaters at some of the parks that are either gone or not operational. Indiana Jones alone would suck up thousands of guests for a long show. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a decent sized theater. Hollywood Studios just needs more rides and needs to have all the shows back open.
Great points. I wonder how many they would sell if they put out there that most rides would be booked up by early afternoon. Their vaunted research department must have known this is how it would work...

I was looking at the genie this afternoon at 1:30 and most attractions at Hollywood Studios had run out of lightening lane access… i thought HS would be a good park to use it at..but on a busy day I wonder how many attractions you will get on
We’re here now and this is exactly the case. The popular rides fill up instantly and by the time 11:00 rolls around you’re down to star tours and muppets for your second selection.

it worked great for us at MK yesterday, but buyer beware at DHS

We’re here now and this is exactly the case. The popular rides fill up instantly and by the time 11:00 rolls around you’re down to star tours and muppets for your second selection.

[/QUOTE
Well at looks like on a busy day you will not be able to get Slinky and Smugglers Run..since they are both gone before park opening

I looked at 11:00 yesterday. Slinky and Falcon were both gone. But I saw 4:10 for Toy Story Mania, 4:40 for Tower of Terror, and 6:25 for Rock n Roller Coaster.

Much worse than when we there 2 weeks ago, but there were still some selections worth having.

By 1:00, only Star Tours/Muppets/etc. were left.

This is interesting.

Checked Rock n Roller Coaster right at 11:00

Unavailable
REFRESH: 7:55
REFRESH: Unavailable
REFRESH: 5:20
REFRESH: Unavailable
REFRESH: 4:05

Moral of story: don't give up on Refresh right away
This is somewhat encouraging. But I have seen many, many reports of people in the parks refreshing like that, and then clicking on the available time only to get an error message that the time slot is no longer available. It seems that these refreshed slots are the result of a cancellation by a single party. And, unlike Fastpass+, which gave you a reasonable window to book if it showed you an available time, with G+, you will not actually get the slot if anyone -- anyone! -- clicks a millisecond before you. So, refreshing at home for practice seems to present an overly optimistic view of what the experience will actually be like in the parks.

Obviously there is nothing about a WDW vacation that is a must do or must have item. Nobody needs to go to WDW at all and if you do choose to spend a ton of money to got to WDW you can have a perfectly fine vacation no matter what extra things you choose to purchase or do.

Some people will tell you if you have small kids, a stroller is an absolute must. That's obviously not true, we took our 3 and 6 year old daughters to WDW the first time and they walked the entire time and we carried a backpack instead of using a stroller as a pack mule. Some people will tell you that having a sit down dinner or a mid day break is a must do, but that's obviously not true because plenty of people go commando all day without sitting down to eat. Some people will tell you that a golf cart is an absolute must if you stay at FW but that's obviously not true - my family has stayed there twice without a golf cart and loved it both times. We have dear friends of ours who absolutely insist they would never stay at anything other than a monorail resort and tell everyone it's an absolute must with little kids. I obviously disagree.

Any reasonable person understands that when a fellow WDW fan tells you something is a must, they mean that they highly recommend it based on their personal experience and preferences. For someone who is trying to ride as much as possible while standing in line a little as possible, I'm sure Genie Plus offers great appeal for them. If you are considering Genie Plus, look at the reasons they are recommending it and consider your own situation.

If you don't agree with their recommendation, or it doesn't fit in your budget, you can still go to WDW and have great vacation without taking personal offense to someone else's opinion.

I'm not afraid of a new system, but I'm pissed at paying for something that until very recently was free.
There has never been anything free at WDW. Sometimes they give you the choice to pay extra for something and sometimes they just include it in the price.

WDW is raising their prices on everything just like every business is who are trying to make money.

I'm not afraid of a new system, but I'm pissed at paying for something that until very recently was free.
I don't actually mind paying for it (that's just business, as the OP stated), but I do mind paying for something that does not work at all like it is billed. We are going the weekend leading up to Christmas week, and it will be much like this week, I'm afraid, as far as crowds. So all of the early reports of double, triple stacking, getting all the rides done by mid afternoon, etc, with G+will not apply at all to the time that I am there. I expected it to be more crowded, and that G+ would not work as well, but if we can only get 1-3 rides with G+ (I'm not counting ILL$ since those are outside of G+), that is a terrible value, to me.

This is somewhat encouraging. But I have seen many, many reports of people in the parks refreshing like that, and then clicking on the available time only to get an error message that the time slot is no longer available. It seems that these refreshed slots are the result of a cancellation by a single party. And, unlike Fastpass+, which gave you a reasonable window to book if it showed you an available time, with G+, you will not actually get the slot if anyone -- anyone! -- clicks a millisecond before you. So, refreshing at home for practice seems to present an overly optimistic view of what the experience will actually be like in the parks.
This was 100% my experience today. I tried to book a number of the one off ride times that appeared after refreshing and by the time I clicked confirm, the time was gone. I eventually put the phone away and enjoyed the rest of my day, ignoring my sunk cost.

I’ll reiterate, though, magic kingdom worked great yesterday

Really? Why do they have to keep them moving? They must have allotted more ride percentage with fp+ due to everyone having it and multiple same rides. It's a paid system that clearly isn't working as advertised: one time quicker entrance for each ride minus the 2 best rides...it's not even close right now. But this is the first true stress test of it this week.

This is sad on so many levels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter