Glasgow Scottish Food Safari

chuff88

DIS Veteran
We're booked on the British Isles sailing in September 2024 and are interested in the Glasgow Scottish Food Safari port adventure. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and can provide some sort of review.

We were on that cruise last fall, and I may be wrong, but I believe that it might not have been offered. I had been interested in it as well. We ended up doing the Inverary Castle and Loch Lomand excursion and had a great time. The Duke of the castle and representative to the monarchy occasionally is at the castle and we got to meet him and take pictures. The tour of the castle was good and lunch was nice. Just FYI.

We were on that cruise last fall, and I may be wrong, but I believe that it might not have been offered. I had been interested in it as well. We ended up doing the Inverary Castle and Loch Lomand excursion and had a great time. The Duke of the castle and representative to the monarchy occasionally is at the castle and we got to meet him and take pictures. The tour of the castle was good and lunch was nice. Just FYI.
Interesting, I know that there's always a chance that things aren't available so that could be the case this year as well. I wish there was an easier way to see what will be offered before the booking window opens.

I kid, I kid. I'm sure there's more to Scottish food than haggis. And I will say this - I'd be completely down for a Scotch distillery tour.

We're booked on the British Isles sailing in September 2024 and are interested in the Glasgow Scottish Food Safari port adventure. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and can provide some sort of review.
I would love to know what this is. I live in Glasgow and I’ve never herd of this

I’m Scottish.

Most people try the fish and chips or roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is always a hit
Most people would call that generally British or associate that more with England, no?

Since you do live in Glasgow, what food would you say is something uniquely Scottish that people should try when they head up there?

I’m Scottish.

Most people try the fish and chips or roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is always a hit
I LOVE yorkies.i asked my mum in law for her secret recipe. She takes me to an upstairs freezer in a back bedroom and shows me the Aunt Bessie’s bags for Yorkshire pudding and roast tatties! I have been sworn to never tell her children.

Most people would call that generally British or associate that more with England, no?

Since you do live in Glasgow, what food would you say is something uniquely Scottish that people should try when they head up there?
Not really, I would say that’s associated with the whole of the UK, there’s hundreds of fish and chip shops all over Scotland, I also wouldn’t say roast beef is mainly England as “scotch beef” is some of the best beef you can get especially cuts like Aberdeen Angus which is full of flavour

I wouldn’t say there is a massive list of Scottish food, haggis and tatties is your main one with out a doubt

You have Black pudding which is part of a Scottish breakfast then you also have porridge, you can have as a breakfast

If your a desert person, sticky toffee pudding is a must, possibly more uk as a whole even though Scotland first created it

If you wanted more of a snack, you got Scottish tablet, I would definitely take some back for family and friends as it’s quite unique

Personally I love a steak pie and chips, it is a Scottish tradition at new year that’s what most people have. When you go in the supermarkets just before new year, all you will see is steak pies lol

There is a few others but the rest really is more associated with the UK as a whole and not just Scotland

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Also Tunnock's Caramel Wafers and Teacakes:
https://www.tunnock.co.uk

(If you're in the states and have a Wegmans near you, you may be able to get Irn Bru there- separately, World Market usually has Tunnock's Caramel Wafers)
I love those teacakes! I’m Germany we have something similar: Schaumküsse (foam kisses). Butvthe wafer on the bottom is much nicer for the teacakes than in their German cousins!

I'm also from Glasgow and haven't come across the Food Safari before! I couldn't see it on the DCL website, it'd be interesting to see what's included.

There's a pretty wide variety of Scottish food, I'd add Cranachan to the list for anyone who enjoys dessert! I used to be a huge fan of Irn-Bru but sadly they've changed the recipe and I don't like the taste of aspartame.

We'll be in Glasgow (and several other Scotland locations) in late August. I'm anxious to try some authentic Scottish scones, which was Uncle Scrooge's favorite dish. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to try haggis.

Scrooge is my all-time favorite Disney character.

Oh! I can’t believe I forgot Millionaire’s Shortbread! (Also regular shortbread but seriously…try the Millionaire’s if you can).

If you can find a place that does ****-a-leekie soup or clootie dumpling, those are very Scottish foods as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter