Golf Cart Accident

stacktester

DIS Veteran
Did anyone hear any further info on the 4 y/o who fell out of the cart Saturday night? I heard the cart flipped but not sure. I talked to a OCSO Deputy at the site where the cart was parked but didn't get a lot from him. I heard she was 4 and her front teeth were knocked out.

Lonestar and I were out looping pretty late and we were passed by a FHP. We went back to the site and he was taking tons of pics. The deputy did say there was no alcohol involved so that was good. We also head she was life flighted out. I hope all is ok. If anybody hears moe please post it.

I heard it was that red cart with the 92 on it and it was a 7 year old. When we took the kids trick or treating we saw a lot of people going really fast with kids standing up in the back. BUT, i will say that everyone was really nice and I saw no rudeness which was a breath of fresh air.
Did anyone find out who/why 4 people were arrested in 400?

:surfweb:
I heard it was that red cart with the 92 on it and it was a 7 year old. When we took the kids trick or treating we saw a lot of people going really fast with kids standing up in the back. BUT, i will say that everyone was really nice and I saw no rudeness which was a breath of fresh air.

Saw that cart tonight, looked ok...... BAN the CARTs.

This is Michael went through 800 loop around midnight & the red cart is still there. Donnie y'all should have road RR there was no line. Me & Wendy had fun with y'all at DHS. Talk to you later.

The information above about the 4yo having her teeth knocked out is correct.

It was a lifted golf cart and it rolled. She was wearing a seatbelt, but those are only good for keeping kids from falling off. If you roll a golf cart, the belt only makes it worse. This is probably a good time to remember carts aren't made to be lifted, so they are very easy to roll. Take it easy on turns if you have one, especially if kids are riding.

I saw the cart with 92 on it this morning and it didn't look like it had rolled. But no one has been around the M/H since Sat. night.

Girl, 4, severely injured in crash at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness
News — By admin on November 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm

From Sentinel Staff Writer Bianca Prieto

A 4-year-old girl was seriously injured this weekend at Disney’s Fort Wilderness when a golf cart she was riding overturned, partially pinning her underneath.

The child was riding with her father in their personal golf cart around 10:30 p.m. Saturday when the cart overturned. The driver, Charles Wickt, 37, of Big Pine Key, told officers that he swerved to avoid another cart that was driving toward them without lights, Orange County Sheriff’s Office reports show.

When the cart turned over the girl was thrown from the passenger seat and pinned. She suffered injuries to her neck, head and face, reports show. She was flown to Arnold Palmer Hospital where she was rushed into surgery. She was listed in stable condition.

Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the accident.

I heard it was that red cart with the 92 on it and it was a 7 year old.

100_3455-1.jpg

Doug / datgrt@fw

Girl, 4, severely injured in crash at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness
News — By admin on November 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm

From Sentinel Staff Writer Bianca Prieto

A 4-year-old girl was seriously injured this weekend at Disney’s Fort Wilderness when a golf cart she was riding overturned, partially pinning her underneath.

The child was riding with her father in their personal golf cart around 10:30 p.m. Saturday when the cart overturned. The driver, Charles Wickt, 37, of Big Pine Key, told officers that he swerved to avoid another cart that was driving toward them without lights, Orange County Sheriff’s Office reports show.
When the cart turned over the girl was thrown from the passenger seat and pinned. She suffered injuries to her neck, head and face, reports show. She was flown to Arnold Palmer Hospital where she was rushed into surgery. She was listed in stable condition.

Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the accident.
We seen a couple golf carts out at night with NO lights. Also some bikes and scooters. Where is peoples common sense these days ?

yep i saw a few carts without lights also. but even worse is the bikes and scooters without lights. Those are really hard to see at night. We have cart and scooters but none are driven or ridden at night without good lights.

Disney security needs to come down on all these people without lights at night.

Just my 2 cents

One detail not mentioned is that this incident happened on the 700 loop. We were in the 900 loop, and saw and heard the ambulance and fire truck go by. When another firetruck came by, we hopped in our cart to see what was going on- I thought maybe there was a fire.

The ambulance sped out of the 700 loop as we arrived, and the other emergency vehicles left. WDW employees were there taking statements.

I asked a group standing in the front of a campsite what was going on, and they told me about the accident and injured little girl. It also turned out that one of the folks in the group that I spoke to was Disboard member Mobile Mickey. He was camping in the 700 loop, and the WDW security vehicle was parked in his site. I believe the incident happened right around there.

There is a problem with traffic going the wrong way on the 700 loop. Since the last two sites are so well decorated, a lot of people pull into the loop that way, and travel down the loop going in the wrong direction. The article says that the accident was caused by a cart coming in the wrong direction. Since both of the campers on the end of 700 will be there through the end of the Christmas season, this dangerous situation could continue to exist.

As far as I can see, there is no enforcement of any of the golf cart safety rules at the Fort. The new rental procedures have become more lax, in my opinion, regarding communicating the rules for carts. On every visit, I see more and more underage drivers, and more and more folks not stopping for buses, and not pulling over to allow motor vehicle traffic to pass. It has gotten very bad.

TCD

We actually yelled at a couple people who passed a bus in front of 1500 Friday night. The driver actually went around the stopped bus from the back end. A couple was fixing to come across and we yelled for them to stop so the oncoming cart wouldn't hit them, then I yelled at the cart driver as he went by. I got the one finger salute btw. Disney is going to have to start making people accountable for cart driving.

Donnie,

Was the couple fixing to buy you more beer?

I bike all the time at night at the fort and you will NEVER see me without lights!:thumbsup2

I run a couple of headlights in the front so I can see anything I might hit or hit me and two separate flashing tail lights. Really don't want a Disney bus or other driver to run me down if I have to get off the sidewalk.

I thought lights were required on carts, I agree this needs to be enforced if this is true.

I sure hope that little girl is OK! My brother rented a golf cart from the Fort for the weekend that was obviously in need of new batteries (slow & getting slower despite being charged). Anyway, as we were going so slow we kept getting passed, sometimes by multiple other carts at a time. Eventually he returned the cart as it seemed so unsafe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter