Good GF Order-Ahead Options for CC?

Shanti

Momketeer
Has anyone actually ever had a tasty gluten-free order-ahead meal on Castaway Cay? On both of our sailings (Magic & Fantasy) I ordered ahead for my son for CC lunch, and on both of our sailings, that GF CC lunch was disappointing and not near the quality of the CC buffet.

Has anyone had a better experience? If so, what did you order? We'll be sailing on the Dream this time.

Hmm, not sure about that. I'm not full celiac, but non celiac gluten sensitivity and usually do fine just eating from the buffets. I just focus on meats and veggies. Though I realize for celiac you would want GF seasonings, cross contamination etc.

If your son was 18+ I'd say go to Serenity Bay for food. I didn't pre-order and had steak and other naturally gf things and it was awesome!!

But I'm assuming he's under 18? In that case, if you are comfortable with making choices for him (really the only thing I saw at least at SB was the buns and the cookies...I guess maybe the sauce on some of the meat might be questionable - I haven't been to the family beach places, but I think they usually have similar menus other than the steak and occasional lobster at SB) and he's cool with no bun, you probably don't even need to pre-order. From what I've read the pre-order for GF is a standard meal with no variations.

If your son was 18+ I'd say go to Serenity Bay for food. I didn't pre-order and had steak and other naturally gf things and it was awesome!!
But I'm assuming he's under 18?..From what I've read the pre-order for GF is a standard meal with no variations.
Yes, my son will have just turned 13 for the cruise...Actually, they take a specific order from you for the gf CC preorder, so there isn't one standard meal. We've never had a good meal that way, though. And they always pressure us to pre-order, rather than to try to find naturally gf items at Cookies. After 2 bad experiences, I'm about ready to wing it at Cookies, but thought maybe someone else could share a better pre-order experience

I’ll be testing this out next month and can report back (if you can remember to remind me!)

I cooperate with ordering dinner each night in advance but I don’t like pre-ordering breakfast and lunch because we don’t keep a constant schedule during the day when we cruise - and there are so many easy GF options around the ship. Easier to wing it.

So - whether I wing it with the CC buffet or order ahead I’ll make a point of remembering how it is. Unless you’re sailing first in which case I look forward to your son’s recommendation! ;)

Yes, my son will have just turned 13 for the cruise...Actually, they take a specific order from you for the gf CC preorder, so there isn't one standard meal. We've never had a good meal that way, though. And they always pressure us to pre-order, rather than to try to find naturally gf items at Cookies. After 2 bad experiences, I'm about ready to wing it at Cookies, but thought maybe someone else could share a better pre-order experience

Gotcha. I've only heard reports that the pre-order meals are not good (probably because they're transported from the ship rather than being prepared right there - traveling usually does food no favors), which is why I opted to wing it. I did take a Luna bar with me just in case, but I was fine with the steak and fruit.

I have preordered twice for GF on CC. The first time the head server pushed me into Salmon etc. Not exactly what I wanted there (doesn't feel like island food) and it wasn't great. I'm blanking on the second time, but it was better than the first. Maybe ask if they could do a burger with a GF bun or something simple. They don't want him eating off the buffet as they don't want him sick.

My DH preordered once - BBQ ribs, a burger and fries. It was fine - they used a gluten free BBQ sauce for the ribs (the ribs at Cookies are not gluten free) and the burger had a gluten free bun.

He usually just eats off the buffet at Cookies though - he asks for a burger without a bun, and has chips, fruit and ice cream so the chance of cross contamination is pretty low.

Good luck!

I have preordered twice for GF on CC. The first time the head server pushed me into Salmon etc. Not exactly what I wanted there (doesn't feel like island food) and it wasn't great. I'm blanking on the second time, but it was better than the first. Maybe ask if they could do a burger with a GF bun or something simple. They don't want him eating off the buffet as they don't want him sick.

They can do a burger with GF bun. I am not GF, but have anapylaxis allergies to milk, tree nuts, peanuts, and seafood. The safe hamburger bun for me is also GF. When I preorder a burger and fries for CC, the bun is a GF bun.

SW

Gotcha. I've only heard reports that the pre-order meals are not good (probably because they're transported from the ship rather than being prepared right there - traveling usually does food no favors), which is why I opted to wing it. I did take a Luna bar with me just in case, but I was fine with the steak and fruit.

It's not just the transportation. They just don't put much effort into making it fancy. She usually will try it (because they insist on doing something) and then she will go and look for GF options in the buffet line. It's a pretty plain meal and my wife normally hates it. She also hates pre-ordering meals because she doesn't know what she will feel like having the next night.

It's not just the transportation. They just don't put much effort into making it fancy. She usually will try it (because they insist on doing something) and then she will go and look for GF options in the buffet line. It's a pretty plain meal and my wife normally hates it. She also hates pre-ordering meals because she doesn't know what she will feel like having the next night.
Yes, that's basically been our experience, too. The pre-ordered food they send to CC is awful. I think we'll just do the buffet this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter