Grand Californian Super Thread

Yes I saw that post the other day. Confirmation for how I handle things when there is a major issue. As uncomfortable as it is, I will not back down until I speak with a manager and receive a satisfactory resolution when the situation warrants it.

Do you have any information as to who to contact / talk to if some help is needed during a stay at one of the DL Resort Hotel ?
I was basically told to email Disney and they would get back to me. But if you're actually at one of the hotels, sending an email doesn't help while you are there. Suggestions as what to do at the time of a situation at the resort about a room and all you get is "nothing we can do" ......

Do you have any information as to who to contact / talk to if some help is needed during a stay at one of the DL Resort Hotel ?
I was basically told to email Disney and they would get back to me. But if you're actually at one of the hotels, sending an email doesn't help while you are there. Suggestions as what to do at the time of a situation at the resort about a room and all you get is "nothing we can do" ......

The way I would handle a situation that required immediate attention is to politely refuse to leave the Guest Services desk until I am able to speak to a manager/lead. I would remain calm and polite, but very direct. I would be a broken record if needed, continuing to repeat my request to speak to a lead. I would acknowledge that I understand that Cast Members are instructed to avoid getting a lead involved at all costs and I apologize for needing to go above their authority but that I am not satisfied and require further attention. I would not leave the counter. Above and beyond this, I have had success with being called within hours of emailing Guest Services so you should still try that while onsite.

I do not feel right about giving out the contact info I have unless I know it's in reference to a specific incident like the one mentioned on the previous page. If you'd like to private message me we can discuss.

The way I would handle a situation that required immediate attention is to politely refuse to leave the Guest Services desk until I am able to speak to a manager/lead. I would remain calm and polite, but very direct. I would be a broken record if needed, continuing to repeat my request to speak to a lead. I would acknowledge that I understand that Cast Members are instructed to avoid getting a lead involved at all costs and I apologize for needing to go above their authority but that I am not satisfied and require further attention. I would not leave the counter. Above and beyond this, I have had success with being called within hours of emailing Guest Services so you should still try that while onsite.

I do not feel right about giving out the contact info I have unless I know it's in reference to a specific incident like the one mentioned on the previous page. If you'd like to private message me we can discuss.
Thank you .............

We are checking into a 2-bedroom suite in a week. What is the likelihood of getting a theme park view room? Should I send in a request for a upper flower, theme park view? Is there a better request to make that will more likely get us a theme park view?

We are checking into a 2-bedroom suite in a week. What is the likelihood of getting a theme park view room? Should I send in a request for a upper flower, theme park view? Is there a better request to make that will more likely get us a theme park view?
There is no complete map of suite locations (and so no exact way to estimate how many are Park View), but your chances for a Park View are about 1 in 4. The map (below) shows some suite locations, but as a composite of all floors some details are omitted (many areas do not have a 6th floor, or guest rooms on the 2nd floor). 2-bedroom suites are generally 1-bedroom suites connected to a regular room.

Some room comments (order is my preference):
  • 6412 (1 bedroom suite, based on prior posts): 6th floor is very nice if you have upgraded to Concierge (a good value for suites). Partial fireworks view.
  • 5329/4329/3329/5331/4331/3331: Park View with convenient access to elevators.
  • 5452/4452/3452: Park View and fireworks view. Long walk.
  • 3359/2359: Parial Park View, low floors and obstructed by trees.
  • 5014/4014/3014/2014/5312/4312/3312/5318/4318/3318/3360/2360: Pool View. Partial (distant) view of the park from floors 5 and 4.
  • 5169/4169/3169/5451/4451/3451: DTD View. Good view of fireworks. Long Walk. Noisy.
  • 5168/4168/3168: Courtyard view. Long Walk. Avoid.
It is a good idea make your request in advance: Park View on a high floor
When checking in, your room number is printed on the form you sign (although the CM will not point it out to you). If you are not happy with the room, try to have is changed immediately.

Good luck with your view. Report back with your room number and pictures of your view.

map_gch_suite_web2.jpg

Nonsuch is the GCH whisperer. Always such good info. I'll be checking in the 27th to a DVC one bedroom for the first time this month! Can't wait!

Does anyone know if construction is only in certain areas of the hotel? Has anyone had luck requesting rooms far from the construction area. We'll be staying the weekend before thanksgiving if that helps for construction timeline.

Nonsuch is the GCH whisperer. Always such good info. I'll be checking in the 27th to a DVC one bedroom for the first time this month! Can't wait!
Thanks for the compliment, and Welcome Home :goodvibes
I hope you receive your requested view :wizard:

Does anyone know if construction is only in certain areas of the hotel? Has anyone had luck requesting rooms far from the construction area. We'll be staying the weekend before thanksgiving if that helps for construction timeline.
We just checked out after a week-long stay. I had a standard room booked and requested high floor away from construction and never saw any construction our entire trip. We got room 5256 and it was amazing! We were overlooking Goofy's Sky School and the Fun Wheel and could see Cars Land in the distance. We spent a lot of time on our balcony enjoying the view. The best part was that we could watch WOC from our balcony. We couldn't see it straight on so couldn't see the pictures on the water, but it was great watching the lights and the water jets. We even got treated to almost nightly testing of the holiday WOC show. I loved everything about the GCH and it was truly one of the highlights of our trip! Our room didn't look worn. We were down some long hallways, but it was fine because our area was really quiet. I will try to post pictures in a few days.

We just checked out after a week-long stay. I had a standard room booked and requested high floor away from construction and never saw any construction our entire trip. We got room 5256 and it was amazing! We were overlooking Goofy's Sky School and the Fun Wheel and could see Cars Land in the distance. We spent a lot of time on our balcony enjoying the view. The best part was that we could watch WOC from our balcony. We couldn't see it straight on so couldn't see the pictures on the water, but it was great watching the lights and the water jets. We even got treated to almost nightly testing of the holiday WOC show. I loved everything about the GCH and it was truly one of the highlights of our trip! Our room didn't look worn. We were down some long hallways, but it was fine because our area was really quiet. I will try to post pictures in a few days.
Your room was part of the VGC expansion, completed in late 2009. These rooms should be in better condition that other areas of GCH, which opened in 2001.

Your room was part of the VGC expansion, completed in late 2009. These rooms should be in better condition that other areas of GCH, which opened in 2001.

Is the 2009 expansion area called something specific? I just want to be sure I'm asking for the correct area. Thanks so much for this info!

Some details of the remodel are on display near the lobby.

Concept drawing shows a Daybed where the table/desk is currently.

Yuk...I know the two biggest complaints of the GCH are that the rooms are small and dark, but as someone who frequents the GCH and stays in other hotels all over the counrty literally weekely the GCH rooms are one of the most comforable rooms I get to stay in. Not at all liking the new look.

Well, not the greatest news for anyone who has an upcoming stay at the Grand in early 2017 ...........

We have our first ever trip to DL coming up in January 2017 . Was able to get a whole week at GCV in a 1 bedroom villa using our DVC points !
Just got the dreaded "letter" today ..............

"Beginning January 3rd 2017 .......... the Fountain pool , Mariposa pool and the Redwood pool will ALL be closed until spring of 2017 . Including whirlpool spas , childrens pools, and cabanas will all be closed . Guests will be welcome to use any of the other Disneyland Resort Pools . "

WELL THAT'S JUST GREAT !!!!

I mean its cool that we can visit the Disneyland Hotel pools and all , but really ??? Closing ALL the pools at GC for a few months !!!! WHAT ?!?!?!
This has to belong in the "WHAT ARE THEY THINKING" folder right !?!?!?!?!

Yea .............this sucks !

Last edited:
I've read mixed info on this - if we are staying in the villas on points, do we pay for parking at the Grand? We are not owners, but are staying on points not through Disney.

Exactly! When staying on points (your own or rented) you DO NOT have to pay to self park. If you choose valet parking, there is a charge :)

However, just because you aren't supposed to pay, doesn't mean they won't charge you! So check that checkout statement closely, mistakes do happen. One year we flew in and took the DL Express so no car for us ~ we had a valet parking charge for every night we were there! Last year, we had self parking charges for 2 of our 7 nights.

The front desk staff took care of things right away as soon as this was brought to their attention, so not a huge deal, but check those statements!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter