Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just darn. I love that ride, I've yet to see the entire new movies in the wait line, every time I get into that room the line moves too fast and while I'm not crazy about how they changed the movies at the ending (they don't quite match the music) I still love the ride. I'm one of those people who actually liked the park when it first opened. I don't need thrill rides (although leave my ToT alone) and am not even a fan of TSMM so the old Hollywood theme was perfect for me. As far as a Mickey ride, I don't have anything against the mouse but I would think MK would be more suited for that ride. I'll have to make sure I GMR multiple times on my upcoming trip in Sept. just to say good bye to it.

According to several sources on WDWmagic once the Turner Classic Movies sponsorship ends in 2018 the ride will close for good. According to the rumors the facade will stay but the inside will be gutted for something new. No word as to what as I believe it is still in planning stages. Neither Disney nor TCM seem to have interest in extending the sponsorship.

I hope to see many more updates of attractions in the very near future....I am looking forward to putting our families biggest trip to date togteher for the 50th anniversary year in 2021, as i would imagine that Disneyworld will not be more "buttoned up" and updated as it will be that entire year!!!

Its supposed to be a top tier attraction. Trackless e ticket. You can't get any better than that.

Oh really? I didn't know that, it sounds like another rodent ride (Ratatouille). If they can make it anything like that one then I'm on board the Mickey train, Choo Choo.

Oh really? I didn't know that, it sounds like another rodent ride (Ratatouille). If they can make it anything like that one then I'm on board the Mickey train, Choo Choo.
Yep it's supposed to use an LPS trackless system just like ratatouille and mystic manor.

Sagging attendance? When it first opened the park hit capacity so much that they only expanded just to give the park a little bit more capacity

Depends on the source: some said the park exceeded expectations but was hampered by its limited capacity while others said the capacity was understated due to soft initial reviews. What's indisputable is that nearly all of the entertainment (e.g. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle characters), tweaks (back lot tour) and attractions (Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground) added shortly after the park's opening (and continuing in the subsequent years) were aimed at children, of which the Studios scored poorly amongst.

Nonetheless, it doesn't change the point that the Studios was always intended to be primarily a theme park, with the production aspect secondary, despite the marketing gimmicks.

A Mystic Manor style Fantasia ride would simply be amazing... could you imagine being completely immersed in the pieces of Fantasia? Or something villain-themed... a 20 foot Maleficent in dragon form within a ride like Mystic Manor would be terrifyingly awesome... or perhaps they should do both! Great Movie Ride would be a good location for something Pixer-themed (even though I know they said it's not) because of its proxity to TSMM - maybe a transplant of Ratatouille, or comething Cars themed since it's very lacking in the World. Perhaps a trackless "adventure" with the Incredibles?

As for the other two - put both over by Fantasmic. One could fit in between ToT and Fantasmic's stage (I would put Mickey/Fantasia here as an immersive trackless into the movie Fantasia and close it out with the famous quote about the mouse.) The other could go behind Beauty and the Beast and be a villain-based 3D dark ride.

A Mystic Manor style Fantasia ride would simply be amazing... could you imagine being completely immersed in the pieces of Fantasia? Or something villain-themed... a 20 foot Maleficent in dragon form within a ride like Mystic Manor would be terrifyingly awesome... or perhaps they should do both! Great Movie Ride would be a good location for something Pixer-themed (even though I know they said it's not) because of its proxity to TSMM - maybe a transplant of Ratatouille, or comething Cars themed since it's very lacking in the World. Perhaps a trackless "adventure" with the Incredibles?

As for the other two - put both over by Fantasmic. One could fit in between ToT and Fantasmic's stage (I would put Mickey/Fantasia here as an immersive trackless into the movie Fantasia and close it out with the famous quote about the mouse.) The other could go behind Beauty and the Beast and be a villain-based 3D dark ride.
This isn't going to be just Fantasia this is going to Mickey from steamboat Willie on.

The other thing to note on the article says it would close AFTER the opening of the Star Wars themed land - so chalk this one up to "Doubtful". This plan will change 18 times before then. OR just contradictory rumors.

Don't base your information on what WDWNT says, they are wrong more then they are right. They also took the story from Wdwmagic and placed their spin on it.

Possibly the footprint of DHS is just too constricted, all going back to the hastiness with which it was designed and constructed. Now they have to build a multistory parking garage which is bizarre when you think of how much land Disney owns. But they're blocked on three sides by two highways and a wetland.

Now I understand why they're thinking of dropping movie IP into Epcot. DHS is too restricted to be the future expansion pad for "whatever's hot" movie-based attractions. MK and AK are not as thematically appropriate and are both restricted either by railroad and water for MK or by animal habitats/exhibits for AK.

I think Disney will be very hesitant to add a 5th park. Perhaps only if Uni announces a 4th park and Disney really wants to appear to be always in the lead. So short of a 5th park, I think you're going to see a lot of replacement of older, less exciting and more neglected attractions in the Disney parks. The arms race is heating up noticeably. I would be worried if I was a big fan of GMR, Energy Adventure, Imagination, The Land, The Seas, Carousel of Progress, etc.

And at what point in time do we start worrying about Spaceship Earth being gone? Seems like its theme would eventually not fit into the "new" Epcot.

A Fantasia ride would be an E-ticket to me... like a totally immersive omni through Fantasia - seeing it come to life... I'd be all for that. I know they have Fantasmic, but still..

With Mickey, maybe a Sorcerer's Apprentice theme perhaps?

Mickey sure needs a ride style attraction. I love GMR, but with the park doing a hard reboot, I can't call this surprising.

They needed to do something with it. The movies displayed were showing their age, can't say I'm surprised either, but I'm excited to see what they'll do with Mickey in the space.

And at what point in time do we start worrying about Spaceship Earth being gone? Seems like its theme would eventually not fit into the "new" Epcot.

Tomorrow were it up to me. Like GMR, Spaceship earth is an attraction I would love to see re-imagineered into something new.

I always thought the problem with GMR was the ride vehicle. It's too long and too wide, so you're too far away from most stuff. A smaller omnimover so the sets are closer together would have been better.

The theme definitely needs to be broad enough to warrant the central location in the park. A trackless Mickey ride would certainly be an improvement and would fit all the criteria - as long as they don't make it too "spinny".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter