Great News!

Thanks, Denise~ I only eat Chocolate, don't wear it...;):p

We won't be leaving until Sunday and it is going to take us *at least* 8 hours to get there, so if you have the meet on Sunday I won't be able to attend:( My DH works Saturday nights, so there would be no hope of leaving early either...but whatever you all decide is fine with me, maybe we could have a meet on Monday as well??

:)

Originally posted by Tantor
(minds out of the gutter people!)

Denise, is Hershey Highmeadow Campground a good campground to stay at? Is it close to the park? And how far in advance do I need to make reservations?
Is there anyway we can move the meet up to the 11th (Sunday) instead of the 12th?

Karen, since I live so close and we usually only tent camp about once a summer, we've never stayed there. I did copy these reviews from Epinions.com. Hope they help!

Here's the link to the campground site: http://www.hersheypa.com/accommodations/hershey_highmeadow_campground/index.html

Here are their rates:

The Sweet Summer Season (May 13 through September 6, 2004)
Full Hookup $40.50
Partial Hookup $36.50
No Hookup $33.50
Camping Cabins $73.00 to $77.00 plus tax

-----------------------
Kisses For Hershey Highmeadows
Feb 14 '00

Author's Product Rating 4 our of 5 stars

Pros
very clean, offers shuttle service to park, has many cabins

Cons
some sites are very close together, rather expensive for a campground

A few weekends a year, we go to HersheyPark in Hershey, Pennsylvania and have one annual trip where about 40 or 50 people from our family go. We always stay at the Hershey Highmeadows campground.

Hershey Highmeadows is about a mile away from HersheyPark amusement park and is considered one of the resorts. This is one of the nicer campgrounds I've been to that's affiliated with an amusement park. It is very family friendly and is kept extremely clean. During the summer season the campground itself also offers activities such as campfires with songs and marshmallows, arts & crafts and games.

The campground offers many amenities and has campsites that range from primitive to electric and water hook ups. Hershey Highmeadows also has cabins for rent. These cabins are popular with many in our family. A great convenience to the campground is that they offer shuttle service to and from the park. Since the parking lot at Hershey Park is usually very crowded, this is great.

Amenities
There are two olympic sized pools and a nice sized wading pool.

There are two large playgrounds that we noticed were just redone this season.

There are volleyball and basketball courts.

There are large bathhouses with decent sized showers.

There is a camp store that sells grocery and camp items along with souvenirs both from the campground and from Hershey Park. The Park souvenirs are much cheaper at the campground than inside the park itself.

Adjacent to the camp store is a laundry room and a game room. The game room offers various video and pinball games.

Campsites
The primitive sites are just that. They are designed for tents and have only a fire ring and picnic table.

Other offers are water only or water and electricity. These sites also have a fire ring and picnic table.

There are no sites with sewage hook ups but there is a dump station that is kept very clean.

Prices for campsites range from $18 to $35 a night depending on the season and type of site.

I would recommend staying at a site in the Hilltop section because the sites in other sections seem very close together. This section is toward the back of the campground and does have a railroad right next to it but after the first couple of trains, you don't notice it very much.

Cabins
The cabins sleep four and most have a double bed and a set of bunk beds and a dresser.

They also have a microwave, small refrigerator, breakfast bar and ceiling fan, electricity and are heated.

Outside each cabin has a porch, picnic table and fire ring.

Resort Options
Since Hershey Highmeadows is a HersheyPark resort you can purchase some exclusive options. You can buy tickets for Breakfast At Hershey. This includes a decent buffet breakfast at Chocolate Town Cafe and photo opportunities with characters such as a Hershey Kiss and Mr. Goodbar. You are also given early admission to the park and can either ride certain rides or be in the front of the line for others like roller coasters.

Another option to campers is a golfing package. There are 5 golf courses that are affiliated with Hershey Park and they are only open to people staying in the resorts. I have never been to any but several relatives say that a couple of the courses are pretty nice.

As for food - what things always come down to with me - there are several places within 5 minutes of the campground. Right up the street is our favorite, Dempseys. Dempseys is basically a diner and has some nice homemade items like pork chops and meatloaf. They also have excellent homemade pie - the strawberry rhubarb is my favorite. Also not far away is a shopping center that has several fast food places and a Pizza Hut. This shopping center also has a grocery store and a drugstore.

The only thing about Hershey Highmeadows that I could find to complain about would be the prices for the campsites and cabins. They are pretty high next to a comparable campground but I'm sure this is because of the affiliation with Hershey Park. Even at the higher than normal prices, Hershey Highmeadows is a much cheaper place to stay than a hotel.

Recommended
Yes
----------------------------------------

Some people posted pics of their stay at this campground.

http://www.wagg.com/Projects/ThePlayground/

Sorry Odddog, But there's 3 of us that are commit to the12th because of work,, I'll tell you how this all started.. Denise started it all by asking for a meet in disney,, which we all knew wasn't going to happen and then belle mentioned about coming to PA to see me for the week,, so then denise,belle and I thought about meeting in hershey and it sort of snowballed from there,, The More the merrier,, I hope to get to meet everybody,,but belle and beanie and I wouldn't be able to be there til the 12th.. Those wanting to go early and need a place to stay,, let me know what dates and I'll let you know what the company rate is for a hotel in hershey..I haven't heard back yet, but I should soon... I was also planning a picnic in the park, so if you think you can make it on the 12th,, please let me know how many in your party.. I stopped at the vistors center today to pick up information to send everyone that needed it,, Now which vistors center do you think I should of stopped at?? PA right.. Which one do you think I stopped at ?? New York's:crazy: :crazy: I drove an hour in the wrong direction:teeth: :teeth: Oh Well I hit the disney store near by and got some great deals again:p :p I'm not going to have any money leftover for this trip to hershey :teeth: I'll stop later this week and pick up the information and get it out to everybody.. Laurie

I did not know how this was planned, I have the "work" issue also that is why we would get their on Saturday late morning and leave on Monday after noon for work on Tuesday. We are about a two hour drive. We don't want to change anybody's plans but what is the agenda? Are you planning on meeting in the park, at the hotel, by the way Laurie what hotel and what are the rates, that would be interesting, right now I was thinking of using points to stay at the hampton inn, the garden inn has black out dates that weekend!!! I have to mention that to Paris Hilton next time I see her!!!!LOL Thanks for any info you can give me.
Gregg

I was just thinking of those poor souls that work Monday to Friday;) I'm okay with Monday.
We haven't worked out anything yet but I think we will be staying for 2 or 3 nights in Hershey.

shrug.gif
Ok, blame it all on me.
guilty.gif
All I wanted to do was meet the other RP bad girls and boys and have some fun!
buddies.gif
Now everyone is arguing! ;) Whaaaa!
cry.gif

It's only denise's fault because it was her idea to meet in the first place and I sort of took over ,, Sorry denise...
To answer your question gregg we really don't have agenda or a really good plan yet either :).. Let's say I plan the picnic/ birthday party for 11:00am on monday the 12th,, would that work for you ?? My orginal plan was to have everyone here at the lake for a bad girl barbacue,, you know sit around ,relax kick back and have a few and hang out by the hot tub in our thongs,, but nobody wanted to do that except belle;) So hershey park it is.. I haven't found out about which hotels and rates yet,, I'll let you know as soon as the boss wakes up and lets me know.. Laurie

Just kidding about the arguing! Just trying to stir up trouble in the true RP Bad Girl fashion. :hyper: :teeth:

Sorry sweetpea if I started the Hershey thing. Don't know why I thought that is where you lived. See, there I go again stirring the pot! :eek: It's probably because I'm in my commando Disney planning phase for our cruise. As soon as I get an idea about planning a trip, I become obsessive compulsive. :tongue:

I'd be more than glad to hang out at the lake. I'm flexible. I'd really just like the chance to meet everyone.

Barry Hom is planning a Hersheypark DIS meet for June 12 that I was considering going to. But if I can't make it to that one (see thread here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=417791 if anyone's interested) I'd like to come to yours. Do you think a Monday would be less crowded than a Saturday? Or do you think being in July will make it more crowded? (I don't like :crowded: LOL) The last time we went to Hersheypark it was the beginning of June during the week (Tuesday, maybe?) and practically everything was a walk-on! It was great! :teeth:

Weekends are alot more crowded than the weekdays. I don't think it will be too bad especially since we're not going near the 4th.

This sounds really cool! I really would like to meet all of you. Now I just have to convince DH and family to go on the trip. We've all been dying to visit the Hershey Park. Maybe I could convince them by making it a week trip and zipping over to Cedar Point afterwards. (We have season passes there) Anyone know the distance between hershey and cedar point?

:scratchin That would be alot of driving coming from Northern Ky. but it would sure be a fun trip!:jumping1:

Well, on your way from Hersheypark to Cedar Point, you would pass Kennywood park in Pittsburgh (maybe a 5 hour drive from Hershey), and Six Flags Worlds of Adventure in Cleveland (maybe a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh)-- you could always stop at those, too! LOL :p

Does anyone know how many Amusement Parks are in PA?? It seems like a lot...can anyone tell me where they are as well?

Thanks!

Originally posted by jcemom
I found this: http://themeparks.about.com/cs/usparks/a/PAparks.htm but I'm not sure if it's completely accurate.

It certainly covered the ones I know about (and a few others). I also don't know if there are more.

If you're in the SW PA area, Idlewild is a pretty good park. I actually like it a little better than Kennywood--more shade! Less crowds when we've been there. But maybe that's just because I grew up going to Idlewild all the time. It's changed tons in the past 20 years. I'm not big on roller coasters, so I don't mind that it really only has one or two. It's just big enough that there's plenty to do in a day, but small enough that it's not overwhelming. And we've never even been to the waterpark part. I took swimming lessions there years ago before they added all the slides and expanded that part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter