Greeting cards - Yay or nay?

I really have no use for cards. They don’t mean a thing to me. I’d be happy to never receive one again.

I give birthday cards with a gift, and I’ll give thank you cards, but I’ve been done with Christmas cards for many years now. I might buy a nice gift, but my card is from the dollar store. I hate wasting money on cards. I’m cheap that way.

I send cards and like to receive them. I have a shoebox filled with cards that I have received. I go through it every so often and cull the cards. I refuse to collect more than that amount. These cards are special to me.

I send maybe 20 Christmas cards each year, birthday to close family (that's only 6-7), sympathy and get well cards to our church family and friends.

I get cards on sale from Current and Dollar Tree. Our Dollar Tree has nice cards 2/$1 or $1 and they have started carrying Hallmark cards recently.

Are greeting cards important to you? As a sender? A recipient?

How about you?

I hate them. Waste of time, money and effort.

My MIL on the other hand....she gets offended if you don't send her one for every occasion. And not just ANY greeting card. It has to say "mother" or "grandmother" or she feels offended that you didn't care enough to get the "right" card.

Back in the day, I had software to make you own greeting cards. That got me in trouble because that homemade card was not good enough because I 'couldn't be bothered to go to the store and choose a nice card'.

In my house we call them the "I'm not worthy" cards. If it has a verse that reminds her how lucky we are to have her, that's the perfect card. :crazy2: And cards cost like $5 each! What a waste.

I'm a NAY. Don't like to give, don't like to receive. It's a rare occasion anymore where I card captures the perfect sentiment.

I will send a card for sympathy to someone that I can't express my sympathy in person to.
I feel the same way. Unfortunately I'm odd-one out since my family and friends all seem to love them. I get tons of lovely cards with heartfelt messages written in them and I'm hard-pressed to be able to reciprocate. I just don't have the knack. Weirdly though, I find myself with a lump in my throat when I try to pick out a meaningful card for someone very dear and pretty much always default to a goofy or generic one. :blush:

My mother was the only person remaining in my life who felt greeting cards were very important.
Whilst cleaning out her paperwork I discovered how dear they were to her; she kept them all.

When DH's grandmother was still living, she was a big believer in giving birthday cards. She didn't sign them, or include a message because she wanted us to keep them pristine and give them to someone else as needed. Since our kids were young at the time, we didn't have much use for re-gifting "a fine grandson" card. When friends/family gave b-day cards to her, she gave them back so the gifter could re-use them. Not many chances to re-use a "Happy 100th birthday" card.

Nope, I think spending $6-$10 for a card is ridiculous. I could care less if you give me one. To me, handing someone a card once a year on their birthday or mother's day to show love is a cop out. Showing appreciation for a person is year round. A simple "I love you" or "thanks" year round means way more than a piece of paper with some canned verse on it.

My son and his fiance have a fun game that they will do when they are at the grocery store. They will pick out card for each other, let each other read them, and then put them back. $15 saved.
:lmao: :rotfl2: This made me laugh so hard. I absolutely love it. :rotfl:
And btw I agree with you 100% on the card thing. Its a waste of paper, a waste of trees. I suck at writing corny messages in cards anyway. I would rather show them how much they mean to me throughout the year. Giving them a card once a year doesn't do diddly squat. It doesn't mean I love them more just because i gave them a card.

I dont send out Christmas cards either. And frankly, I dont care to receive them either. When I get them, I might hang on to them for a couple days, but then i toss them.

I prefer no cards, given or received.
Years ago, I was picking out a card for my son’s birthday. I found *THE* perfect card with all the right words.
We celebrated his birthday & I gave him his gift & the card I found.
I told him, I’ll never find a better card that sums up what you mean to me more than the one you are holding.
I want you to save this card & send it to me the month before your birthday every year & I will add my words to it for this new year you are celebrating.
So he has & now it is like a very meaningful, sentimental memento instead of $6 that went in the trash.
I do this with all my immediate family members now.

I like to give cards to my children and friend for their birthday. And photo Christmas cards to about 45 of our friends and family. My friend gets extra cards during the year that are thinking of you that I write a little about what our friendship means to me. I hope those getting the cards get cheered up by them. It doesn’t cost much because I go to the Dollar store.

No, I’m not a card person. I’ll include a card with a gift for special occasions such as weddings and babies, but not for annual occasions like birthdays and holidays. I’ve never sent Christmas cards and doubt I ever will. I don’t tend to keep them either, with the exception of the aforementioned extra-special occasion types, and only those from people I really like. ;) Generally, they hit the recycling bin as soon as I’ve finished reading them. I’ve never quite understood the appeal of cards, tbh.

I prefer no cards, given or received.
Years ago, I was picking out a card for my son’s birthday. I found *THE* perfect card with all the right words.
We celebrated his birthday & I gave him his gift & the card I found.
I told him, I’ll never find a better card that sums up what you mean to me more than the one you are holding.
I want you to save this card & send it to me the month before your birthday every year & I will add my words to it for this new year you are celebrating.
So he has & now it is like a very meaningful, sentimental memento instead of $6 that went in the trash.
I do this with all my immediate family members now.
Your family members are much better sports than I would be! I can barely get around to mailing something the first time let alone every year. Do you at least cover the cost of the stamps? :lmao:

No, I’m not a card person. I’ll include a card with a gift for special occasions such as weddings and babies, but not for annual occasions like birthdays and holidays. I’ve never sent Christmas cards and doubt I ever will. I don’t tend to keep them either, with the exception of the aforementioned extra-special occasion types, and only those from people I really like. ;) Generally, they hit the recycling bin as soon as I’ve finished reading them. I’ve never quite understood the appeal of cards, tbh.

Your family members are much better sports than I would be! I can barely get around to mailing something the first time let alone every year. Do you at least cover the cost of the stamps? :lmao:

Ha! I said "send" but I guess I should have said "give it back to me" every year. My son lives in the same town I do, my daughters are still at home...no stamps required :)

Still send/receive greeting cards for major holidays (like Christmas), but usually check the price on the back. Some can be very expensive and for something funny like a birthday card, the person probably reads it for 30 seconds or so and then tosses it in the trash. Most stores that sell cards now have a $.99 section and they are just as good as ones that cost over $5.......LOL.

For Christmas cards, we have cut back and if we haven't seen/heard from them in the past 2+ years, they no longer get a card. I do laugh at those who feel the need to summarize their prior year in a letter in the card. Seems to me if you know them well enough to be friends and exchange Christmas cards, you would already know those things.

I will buy birthday cards for people I am close to. I have sent sympathy cards. I no longer send Christmas cards, nor do I care if I get them.

I don’t really care either way and I’m not a card saver. Having said that, every month that we’ve been married (four years in December) my husband gives me a card on the 26th and I’ve kept every one of those.

My family mostly all give cards. Other than siblings, I send them to my grown children now plus the Grands! And, of course, Hubby!! :love2: He always gives me two - a mushy one, and a funny one! :love:

I don’t really care either way and I’m not a card saver. Having said that, every month that we’ve been married (four years in December) my husband gives me a card on the 26th and I’ve kept every one of those.
That is very sweet. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter