Gringotts Reviews starting to come in

OK they are wearing hats on the ride....hmm.

The main still picture I've seen of the vehicle show what look to be like the Mummy, but when I nearly get out my magnifying glass I was only seeing ONE bar from it, not the two of Mummy. It's not the across-the-lap bar that's the issue in my family, but the two bars going down, that you have to put your legs in between. The combo kills DH's chances.

So I've been holding out hope that my bar counting (seriously, I've been trying to do that...even called in DS's eagle eyes with the pictures) was accurate. :upsidedow

There are definitely shin restraints.

Doing an internet search, I found a picture of the test seat on twitter. You can definitely see the shin bar. I'm assuming, it moves as the lap bar comes down.
Bqn2_24CMAALBpW.jpg:large

As many have already said, there is no clear distinction of who will fit and who won't fit on Gringotts. In general, those with wider hips or bigger legs probably won't make the cut even though they still have room to pull the lap bar down. There are exceptions like Forbidden Journey. If your hips and legs are more "squishy" and you can manipulate where your body is inside the restraint you have a better chance but it is still a very tight fight on the shins. For reference, I am 6'3" and I was slightly uncomfortable on Gringotts because more of my length is in my legs.

If anyone needs any further information, check out our Diagon Alley review of The DIS Unplugged: Universal Edition or feel free to message me directly.

I guess I am confused. I thought I had ridden a lot of rides, but what is the point of the shin bars. If your legs are trapped between the U bar and the bar is locked down how much movement would your legs have anyway? If it doesn't invert why do you need to lock down our shins too.

Sorry about the rant, I just don't think I have any chance of fitting now.

I guess I am confused. I thought I had ridden a lot of rides, but what is the point of the shin bars. If your legs are trapped between the U bar and the bar is locked down how much movement would your legs have anyway? If it doesn't invert why do you need to lock down our shins too. Sorry about the rant, I just don't think I have any chance of fitting now.

The main reason is for the first drop. If you know nothing about the ride I don't want to ruin it for you but you are temporarily put in a position where you are held looking down the first hill. It's not super intense but the shin supports help keep you in place.

The main reason is for the first drop. If you know nothing about the ride I don't want to ruin it for you but you are temporarily put in a position where you are held looking down the first hill. It's not super intense but the shin supports help keep you in place.

Ugh,
That sounds terrifying.

I would really love to have more details from people who have ridden the ride about what actually happens. If they can't be shared on this thread, could there be a "spoiler" thread or something?

TP

I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend to attend the media event with them. Yes Gringotts has a lap bar and that does include restraint against your thighs and shins. Could that restrict some sized people from not riding? Maybe yes. But I'd say it won't be something that will be as restrictive as FJ was when it first opened.

Honestly, the ride has to be safe and it is impossible to make a ride that will perfectly fit every body size, especially a thrill ride. The way Gringotts spins and jolts suddenly, I think the lap bar/leg bar system is the right way to go for this ride. Gringotts contains many spins and sudden jolts and with the open sides it is best to keep a secure hold on all extremities inside the ride vehicle. The restraints are not put into these thing for giggles but for a very necessary reason. Yes they could put in a ride that every body shape can ride and they did, the Hogwarts Express, but just like Gringotts comes with a height restriction for safety reasons, it also comes with a restraint system for safety reasons.

Ugh,
That sounds terrifying (about the facing down hill).

Yeah was thinking the same. Can anyone who has ridden this either pm me or set up a spoiler thread? I'm not bothered about fast rides I just HATE that negative 'g' feeling of 'dropping'. Ie the weightlessness feeling. For example - the bit on Expedition everest that gets me is the bit going backwards not the drop. The drop is smooth and fast the backwards bit forces me down into the seat and makes me feel like I'm going upside down. Same thing with space mountain and BTMR - fast is fun, sudden 'drops' are not (especially where I leave the seat). I can't compare to Universal rides as I'm a coaster whimp and barely ride anything at all at IOA…I prefer US cause of the rides like Jaws :sad:, terminator, back ttf, etc. Forbidden Journey freaked me out because everyone said "it is fine, it doesn't go upside down or anything" then it threw me all over the place (scarier I think cause I didn't expect it). So…how does this compare? If you don't want to post spoilers, please can you pm me? I really wanna ride it but not if it's gonna traumatise me lol.

If you want to post spoilers all you have to do is put the word spoiler and then put the spoiler in white. If someone wants to see it, they just highlight it and then the white font will show up.

Thank you so much for posting this review! My family and I just returned from a wonderful week at Universal and I was heartbroken that we didn't plan our trip for a week or so later. I was able to watch (in our hotel in Orlando) the TV special "The Making of Diagon Alley" (hosted by Meredith Viera). I am a bit nervous about Gringotts, though. I rode The Mummy for the first time last week and hated it. I am willing to suck it up for Harry and the gang, though. Thanks again!

I am a scardey cat that wants spoilers!!!!! lol

I did not ride FJ.. DH rode it first and said" If I tell you you would be ok and you went on it, you would kill me after."

I "tolerate" mummy. haven't gotten up the nerve for everest. :scared1:

I am a scardey cat that wants spoilers!!!!! lol

I did not ride FJ.. DH rode it first and said" If I tell you you would be ok and you went on it, you would kill me after."

I "tolerate" mummy. haven't gotten up the nerve for everest. :scared1:

I like the Mummy. Everest gives me motion sickness.

Without giving away spoilers all I can really say about Cringotts is that you can't really use another ride as a base of comparison because it really is unlike any other ride created before.

I guess the closest comparison would be if Spiderman and Mummy had a baby then that baby would kind of be Gringotts.:rotfl: It really is not something you can explain. It's not a coaster, it's not just a 3-D dark ride, it's a hybrid that has never been seen before. I would not say it's a mega thrill ride by any stretch, personally I found it far less thrilling than Forbidden Journey. However there are spins and jolts and mild drops.

It really is one of those rides that you just have to experience for yourself. It's not something that someone can explain and give you a comparison of. It's really a one of a kind.

Without giving away spoilers all I can really say about Cringotts is that you can't really use another ride as a base of comparison because it really is unlike any other ride created before.

I guess the closest comparison would be if Spiderman and Mummy had a baby then that baby would kind of be Gringotts.:rotfl: It really is not something you can explain. It's not a coaster, it's not just a 3-D dark ride, it's a hybrid that has never been seen before. I would not say it's a mega thrill ride by any stretch, personally I found it far less thrilling than Forbidden Journey. However there are spins and jolts and mild drops.

It really is one of those rides that you just have to experience for yourself. It's not something that someone can explain and give you a comparison of. It's really a one of a kind.

Ok, so can we compare 'sections' of it? Spins like Primeval whirl?, Drops like 'Big Thunder' or 'Space Mountain? Jolts like Dinosaur?

Ok, so can we compare 'sections' of it? Spins like Primeval whirl?, Drops like 'Big Thunder' or 'Space Mountain? Jolts like Dinosaur?

The thing is that it's mostly simulator more than roller coaster. So no there are no drops like Big Thunder or Space but there are movements that feel like drops. There is spinning and there is launches and jolts.
Like I said the best way to describe it would be a hybrid of Spiderman and Mummy with motions similar to both combined.

The thing is that it's mostly simulator more than roller coaster. So no there are no drops like Big Thunder or Space but there are movements that feel like drops. There is spinning and there is launches and jolts.
Like I said the best way to describe it would be a hybrid of Spiderman and Mummy with motions similar to both combined.

Thank you, that helps. I've never ridden spiderman or mummy cause tbh I assumed I'd hate them…thought they were coasters. Simulators I'm usually good on…Star Tours for example I love. Simpsons I hated but that's cause it simulated a roller coaster and a fall from a crazy height. But it sounds much more promising for me being ok on it. I survived FJ (if only just lol). Thanks

thanks for trying, but some of us don't want to experience it for ourselves unttilwe know what it entails! lol

thank you!

ah! now we are getting somewhere. spiderman scared me to tdeatht he 1st time, even tho I knew we weren't really falling off the building.

waht I would like to see .. and it could be called a spoiler thread... is something like this:

first you are launched at such and such a speed up a big hill.... then.... you spin aroun 360 degrees, 2 times.. then.... etc. etc.

OR first it FEELS loike you are launched, but you really aren't, it's simulated.. then.... etc etc

yes, I really want to know exactly what will happen to me if I go on the ride. lol some think it silly, but that's me.

spiderman scared me to tdeatht he 1st time, even tho I knew we weren't really falling off the building.

Closing your eyes takes out all of that sort of fear with Spidey. Your eyes are tricking you most of the time (same with Simpsons). Closing eyes lets you ONLY feel what the ride is doing, and eliminates the mind tricks. Doesn't feel a thing like falling off a building with your eyes closed.

Doing an internet search, I found a picture of the test seat on twitter. You can definitely see the shin bar. I'm assuming, it moves as the lap bar comes down.
Bqn2_24CMAALBpW.jpg:large

You can definitely see....a lap bar and a thing under it. The thing...that's the shin bar?

If you've never seen a shin bar you don't know what you're looking at when you are being shown one. :)

I would really love to have more details from people who have ridden the ride about what actually happens. If they can't be shared on this thread, could there be a "spoiler" thread or something?

TP

Spoiler threads are good!

...I'm not bothered about fast rides I just HATE that negative 'g' feeling of 'dropping'. Ie the weightlessness feeling. For example - the bit on Expedition everest that gets me is the bit going backwards not the drop. The drop is smooth and fast the backwards bit forces me down into the seat and makes me feel like I'm going upside down. Same thing with space mountain and BTMR - fast is fun, sudden 'drops' are not (especially where I leave the seat)....

Forbidden Journey freaked me out because everyone said "it is fine, it doesn't go upside down or anything" then it threw me all over the place (scarier I think cause I didn't expect it).

Weightless...I find that breathing OUT for the entire weightless part helps immensely. I used to love coasters on my own, and now I want to still go on them though I am scared to death. And I have to go, right now, because although my son could go on alone, I'm scared even more to death of the idea of him being on them alone. I want him to not be fearful, but I am fearful *and* I don't want to stop him too much. Make sense? So I'm going on these things while not liking them. And I've had to find ways to deal with them. Inhaling fully before you get to the drops and then exhaling slowly during the drops helps keep my heart and stomach out of my throat, so to speak.

FJ can indeed throw you around. I need big foam ear guards on it!

That inhale/exhale trick is how I manage the big drop on Splash Mtn and Jurassic Park. However, the ride photos look ridiculous. It does work, though!

hopefully someone worried about being spoiled would be smart enough not to click on a thread titled "Gringotts Reviews" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter