Guest Assistance Cards ending, to be replaced with Fastpasses?

I don't have a disability. My daughter and son don't have disabilities and neither does my husband and I think this is awful. Who really cares if someone gets on a ride ahead of you? Really? Is this what our civilized society has come down to? Would you really trade your situation for the situation of someone who does have a disability? I think it is awful that people have found ways to "cheat" the system, but I really don't care. They have to live with themselves, not me. I wish Disney had left it alone. From reading these comments it seems like folks that really need it the way it was are NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO ENJOY THIS MAGICAL PLACE. And, for me, that breaks my heart.

This really makes me upset that people who actually need the GAC have to suffer. My daughter has cancer and cannot walk. We actually were a make a wish family in 2011. She had so much fun we took her back in 2012 and this year. She doesn't "look" sick though. I always provide medical records and a letter from her doctor when getting the GAC card. What is wrong with requiring this information and keeping the system like it is??? She is on MANY medications that make her sensitive to heat and sunlight. She isn't able to just SIT while waiting on a time to go back to a ride! This is ridiculous! As a matter of fact on our last trip this past Easter people were getting MAD because they had to WAIT on her. It made me cry because I would rather wait three hours in line then for her to have STAGE 4 CANCER. This makes me sick even thinking that when we take her back she has to suffer because of others that are lazy want to abuse the privilege.
I totally agree with everything you say, and I'm also *SO SORRY* about your daughter! Just to answer your question that I bolded above, it is illegal (or at least against the ADA) for Disney to require that information from you. Not only can't they require it, they can't even *ask* for it! It would make everything much cleaner & simpler if they could, but they can't.

Sayhello

I totally agree with everything you say, and I'm also *SO SORRY* about your daughter! Just to answer your question that I bolded above, it is illegal (or at least against the ADA) for Disney to require that information from you. Not only can't they require it, they can't even *ask* for it! It would make everything much cleaner & simpler if they could, but they can't.

Sayhello

Thank you so much! And I really appreciate you addressing my question! I guess that does make since now why they wouldn't require that info. I wish it wasn't illegal though! I am now unsure why it would be illegal? Idk I just wish the kids and adults that really needed the card didn't get punished. We have another trip planned in a few weeks and I am now wondering how it is going to go. I am not as excited for her as I was. :sad1:

Thank you so much! And I really appreciate you addressing my question! I guess that does make since now why they wouldn't require that info. I wish it wasn't illegal though! I am now unsure why it would be illegal? Idk I just wish the kids and adults that really needed the card didn't get punished. We have another trip planned in a few weeks and I am now wondering how it is going to go. I am not as excited for her as I was. :sad1:

I think it's the root of the problem that has been growing up until now. Disney's GAC program was extremely permissive in cases, but it was fine early on because few knew about it. Unfortunately word of mouth grew, as did the fact that Disney could not require any proof. Slightly exaggerated, but I could walk up and say, "I am unable to stand in any crowd situations", and get a GAC card that could allow me to backdoor many attractions to avoid all the people in line. And they couldn't ask me why.

I've heard so many times that "a GAC is not a Fastpass", but In my experience that's not exactly true (we DID use one once for my DFiL). It depends on why you got the GAC and what was stamped on it. Even in it's simplest form, for a guest in a wheelchair or ECV and their family, it still often got people on to the attractions much faster than normal standby (with the notable exception of Toy Story Mania, which if there is a line for the accessible loading area, can take a long time). And some guests would take any advantage they could.

Just an example of what I believe was abuse: Last month, I saw a group of four younger (10-12ish) girls enter IASW via the accessible entrance, one of them brandishing a GAC card. They were not accompanied by an adult on the attraction. I know all about the "hidden disabilities" thing, but the GAC wasn't for any of the girls - it belonged to the adult who stayed outside in their ECV while the children went on the attraction, took it out of their lanyard pouch and handed it to them. Now I could be wrong, but I don't believe that's how the GAC was supposed to be used - I believe that the GAC holder is supposed to be the one actually using it. But the CM just waved them though.

The recent publicity about it being abused and how easy it was I believe prompted Disney to have to take action before it got any worse.

In general, this just seems like another of Disney's permissiveness suddenly having to be reined in, much to the detriment of those who needed it most.

This really makes me upset that people who actually need the GAC have to suffer. My daughter has cancer and cannot walk. We actually were a make a wish family in 2011. She had so much fun we took her back in 2012 and this year. She doesn't "look" sick though. I always provide medical records and a letter from her doctor when getting the GAC card. What is wrong with requiring this information and keeping the system like it is??? She is on MANY medications that make her sensitive to heat and sunlight. She isn't able to just SIT while waiting on a time to go back to a ride! This is ridiculous! As a matter of fact on our last trip this past Easter people were getting MAD because they had to WAIT on her. It made me cry because I would rather wait three hours in line then for her to have STAGE 4 CANCER. This makes me sick even thinking that when we take her back she has to suffer because of others that are lazy want to abuse the privilege.

:hug::hug::hug:

This has been working this way (issuing a return time) occasionally for several years. My Mom was in a wheelchair. If the wait times for the regular line was long, they issued us a return time. If it was a short line, we were allowed to go right in. It also varied some depending upon the attraction because many rides only allow a few non-fully-ambulatory people on the ride at any one time, in case of an evacuation.

Here an LA station news report about this - first time I've seen anything that indicates Disney is officially changing things. Other interesting point is that they have been speaking with Autism Speaks, but it seems that all the rules aren't exactly nailed down yet.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Disneyland-Disabled-No-Longer-Skip-Lines-224810762.html

I've also heard in some threads that the return time would be shorter than the current standby wait time, which seemed a bit odd...the article says, "Under the change, visitors with special needs will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone."

I wonder if the "shorter wait" is being misinterpreted - I think it just refers to the typical Fastpass wait.

http://wdwdreamin.com/2013/09/23/ch...isney-parks-pt-2-a-response-to-autism-speaks/

Changes to the GAC at Disney Parks (pt. 2), a Response to Autism Speaks

Author’s Note: I may come off as a wee bit angry or upset in this post. I normally am very grateful for the amount of work that goes into running Advocacy Groups. My main disappointment with regards to these changes has to do with the lack of communication to these families who have trips planned in the coming weeks. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Communication is Key to solving these issues.

It has been almost a week and while the dust has not settled on this issue, we have had new information come to light. Saturday evening Disney confirmed the changes to their established Guest Assistance Card program with confirmation to several blogs who were currently reporting the story and as well Cast Member emails that were sent as well to members of the Disney News Community. After reading, digesting, and reading some more I realized that Autism Speaks had been eerily quiet. Friday afternoon they stated there was “mis information” out there and they had been working with Disney, more information was due to come. So we waited, and we waited. Disney confirmed, yet no response from Autism Speaks. Then this morning a quip, a remark burried at the bottom of an AP piece that finally saw the light of day:

“Change is difficult,” said Matt Asner, executive director of the Southern California chapter. “I didn’t want it to change, but I understand there was an issue that needed to be dealt with.” (courtesy Associated Press)

Change is difficult. Why thank you Matt, for that stunning bit of revelation, I had no idea. That’s it, no further quotes on what further changes are coming, what “mis-information” is out there, nada. Just “Change is difficult.” I think for myself and for the millions of parents of people with Autism not to mention those with Autism themselves, we all grasp the idea that change is difficult. We get it. We work with the difficulty of changes on a daily, some hourly, heck some minutely, basis. What the problem is here that these changes don’t appear to have been taken from the perspective of the whole spectrum of people with Autism’s point of view.

First, it’s little, but the name. Disabled Access System. I really liked the idea of my son being called a Guest over and over in pure Disney style, versus “Disabled”.

Second, I can give Disney a pass to a certain extent because they are a Private business. They have to abide by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and really beyond that anything else is icing. So to spend time and effort to develop a system I have to at least give them credit for attempting. It’s kind of like older family members who try desparately to understand my son’s diagnosis. They may not fully get it, but they at least put forth the effort, know what I mean? But, Autism Speaks should really know better. They apparently advised Disney on this program, and well they do know better. It’s like your child’s teacher reaching out to you to ask “How can I better help them but not suffer the needs of my class.” And you tell the teacher to just not worry about your kid. Wrong answer.

Further to this point, both companies only responded when pressed to do so. I hate to tell Autism Speaks this, as again *you should know better* but 2 weeks is HARDLY ample time for parents and caregivers of those with Autism to prepare. You know the importance of pre-teaching, preparedness and helping your child adapt. To hear that this was going to sit out there unofficial until October 9th is completely ludicrous. Again, Disney doesn’t know unless you, Autism Speaks, the person called into Advocate for people with Autism tell them that’s a no no. There are thousands of families set to visit Disney on that day, countless numbers will have people not just with Autism but with other invisible disabilities and you thought “Eh, they’ll be fine!”

Finally, Autism Speaks, there appears to be zero amount of real time work done with the people who frequent the Disney Parks with a child or adult with Autism. From the looks of these plans, which I admit we are just getting the bare bones of still, it appears that your advisement to Disney was to just hope for the best in all cases. To ask parents to have their child wait in line at the kiosk, then wait in line at another ride, then go back to the attraction and wait in the Fast Pass line, you have tripled the amount of waiting that child would be doing. In essence you have created for the child and the parent a situation they didn’t have before your proposed changes. The advice to just “do something else” doesn’t work for every family. Will it work for mine, yes. But, I don’t know Autism Speaks, see Autism if you didn’t know this, is classified as a Spectrum Disorder. If you take my meaning that means those diagnosed are varied in their capabilities, impulse controls, and ability to pay attention or communicate. My son, is high functioning this will only effect him in small ways. There are those who simply put will not be able to immediately adapt to your recommendations. Did you think of them when you advised on this program? Your job is to be a voice not only for those with Autism, but for us their parents, families, caregivers and teachers. You are supposed to be able to weigh in on changes such as these for us. And it appears you didn’t do that at all.

Can I make this work? Yes. I can adapt to changes. I do it every day, my son is even better at adapting to changes than I am because he has to basically reprogram his brain in order to do so. But, I don’t know if Autism Speaks would know about that, see my son has Autism.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local...led-because-of-tour-guide-abuse#ixzz2fkxDIjvH

ANAHEIM, CA - People with disabilities will no longer go straight to the front of lines at Disneyland and Walt Disney World after growing abuse of the system, park officials said.
Under the change, visitors will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone.
The current way "certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register.
The change takes effect Oct. 9 for guests with park-issued disability cards. Disney officials said more details will be released after park employees are briefed on the new rules.
Currently, visitors unable to wait in the regular line can get backdoor access to rides or go through the exit and wait in a shorter line.
Brown compared the change to making a reservation and boarding at the appointed time.
The move was a response to the phenomenon of disabled "tour guides" who charge money, sometimes hundreds of dollars, to accompany able-bodied guests and allow them to avoid long lines. The park said others who don't have a disability have been able to get an assistance card since no proof of disability is required.
Some families of children with epilepsy and autism criticized the change, saying some kids' disabilities just don't allow them to wait in standard lines.
"Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities," Brown said in a statement.
Rebecca Goddard takes her sons, age 4 and 6, to Disneyland once a week. Her sons have autism and can't stand in lines longer than a few minutes before they start pushing other people.
"My boys don't have the cognition to understand why it's going to be a long wait," Goddard told the Register. "There are so few things for my boys that bring them utter joy and happiness — to mess with it just makes me sad."
The advocacy group, Autism Speaks, consulted with Disney officials on the change and urged parents to see how it unfolds.
"Change is difficult," said Matt Asner, executive director of the Southern California chapter. "I didn't want it to change, but I understand there was an issue that needed to be dealt with."

Read more:

I think it's the root of the problem that has been growing up until now. Disney's GAC program was extremely permissive in cases, but it was fine early on because few knew about it. Unfortunately word of mouth grew, as did the fact that Disney could not require any proof. Slightly exaggerated, but I could walk up and say, "I am unable to stand in any crowd situations", and get a GAC card that could allow me to backdoor many attractions to avoid all the people in line. And they couldn't ask me why.

I've heard so many times that "a GAC is not a Fastpass", but In my experience that's not exactly true (we DID use one once for my DFiL). It depends on why you got the GAC and what was stamped on it. Even in it's simplest form, for a guest in a wheelchair or ECV and their family, it still often got people on to the attractions much faster than normal standby (with the notable exception of Toy Story Mania, which if there is a line for the accessible loading area, can take a long time). And some guests would take any advantage they could.

Just an example of what I believe was abuse: Last month, I saw a group of four younger (10-12ish) girls enter IASW via the accessible entrance, one of them brandishing a GAC card. They were not accompanied by an adult on the attraction. I know all about the "hidden disabilities" thing, but the GAC wasn't for any of the girls - it belonged to the adult who stayed outside in their ECV while the children went on the attraction, took it out of their lanyard pouch and handed it to them. Now I could be wrong, but I don't believe that's how the GAC was supposed to be used - I believe that the GAC holder is supposed to be the one actually using it. But the CM just waved them though.

The recent publicity about it being abused and how easy it was I believe prompted Disney to have to take action before it got any worse.

In general, this just seems like another of Disney's permissiveness suddenly having to be reined in, much to the detriment of those who needed it most.

I know exactly what you are talking about. While we were there this past Easter there were a group of kids with a GAC. We were all waiting at Spaceship Earth to get on the ride. They were bouncing around and hopping (and I may be exaggerating) but I felt they may not be the ones that were issued the card. It made me so upset because I knew my daughter really needed her card. I thought right then that Disney would probably be doing something about this very soon. It just makes me SO mad! There has to be a better way but without having to provide the PROOF I am unsure what the way is. I don't think this is going to work really. I cannot see having to get a fp, walking around, or sitting for an hour in the heat, then going back to the ride. You can only shop and eat so many times a day so that can only take up a small amount of waiting time.

I know exactly what you are talking about. While we were there this past Easter there were a group of kids with a GAC. We were all waiting at Spaceship Earth to get on the ride. They were bouncing around and hopping (and I may be exaggerating) but I felt they may not be the ones that were issued the card. It made me so upset because I knew my daughter really needed her card. I thought right then that Disney would probably be doing something about this very soon. It just makes me SO mad! There has to be a better way but without having to provide the PROOF I am unsure what the way is. I don't think this is going to work really. I cannot see having to get a fp, walking around, or sitting for an hour in the heat, then going back to the ride. You can only shop and eat so many times a day so that can only take up a small amount of waiting time.

I totally agree with you!

Your story breaks my heart, and I know also how you feel. I have a daughter with multiple medical issues who also was Make-A-Wish kid this summer and stayed at GKTW. We were lucky to go with her to WDW on our own in the past using GAC, but this year her doctor qualified her for a Wish trip. We were planing to return this November and now are very worried about this upcoming trip. We know that she can only last in the park for couple hours, and DAS is not going to help us much given the level of crowd on Thanksgiving week and lack of FP+ for us with already planned off site arrangements. I believe there are many MAW families that extend their trip or return later if their child's health allows. They relied on GAC before to do that, and now it will be much more difficult for them to return. It is so sad...

Here is also the link to sign petition to Disney regarding GAC, and address where people could sent letters:
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/disneyland-discontinues?mailing_id=15469&source=s.icn.em.cr&r_by=8812872

Your story breaks my heart, and I know also how you feel. I have a daughter with multiple medical issues who also was Make-A-Wish kid this summer and stayed at GKTW. We were lucky to go with her to WDW on our own in the past using GAC, but this year her doctor qualified her for a Wish trip. We were planing to return this November and now are very worried about this upcoming trip. We know that she can only last in the park for couple hours, and DAS is not going to help us much given the level of crowd on Thanksgiving week and lack of FP+ for us with already planned off site arrangements. I believe there are many MAW families that extend their trip or return later if their child's health allows. They relied on GAC before to do that, and now it will be much more difficult for them to return. It so sad...

Here is also the link to sign petition to Disney regarding GAC, and address where people could sent letters:
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/di...ling_id=15469&source=s.icn.em.cr&r_by=8812872

According to reports, Wish (and similar organization) kids are not affected by this. They get their credentials through the organization and handling will be no different.

Your story breaks my heart, and I know also how you feel. I have a daughter with multiple medical issues who also was Make-A-Wish kid this summer and stayed at GKTW. We were lucky to go with her to WDW on our own in the past using GAC, but this year her doctor qualified her for a Wish trip. We were planing to return this November and now are very worried about this upcoming trip. We know that she can only last in the park for couple hours, and DAS is not going to help us much given the level of crowd on Thanksgiving week and lack of FP+ for us with already planned off site arrangements. I believe there are many MAW families that extend their trip or return later if their child's health allows. They relied on GAC before to do that, and now it will be much more difficult for them to return. It is so sad...

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/disneyland-discontinues?mailing_id=15469&source=s.icn.em.cr&r_by=8812872

I will have your family in my thoughts any prayers. I hope you all get to return this November. I have heard it is beautiful that time of year! It is very hard for us with kids with disabilities that want to return to Disney. We never know how many trips we will have with our kids. People don't think about this when they go with perfectly healthy kids. They don't realize that there are so many factors in play. Medical bills, doctor's appointment, etc that prevent us from getting to go anytime we feel like going so when we go we want our kids to have the time of their life! Not feel condemned for getting in line first.

It's a shame the system was abused but once it was I think the changes were inevitable.

I also don't think it's that bad expecting people to wait the same amount of time that regular guests wait in the standby line.

I personally use a GAC due to stamina issues and I wouldn't have any problem with being given a time and being asked to come back later. However I am worried about 2 things:

Firstly implementation. IT needs to work well for all types of issue. a child with autism will probably have a melt down if you have to go to the ride then walk away with a 'come back later' as they won't understand why the can't ride now. But a person with stamina issues won't want to be walking to a central location and back every time.

My second worry is more personal, based on what I've read I can see people with stamina issues being told to go rent a wheelchair\ECV rather than being given a GAC\DAS. Personally I dislike this for two reasons, firstly an obviously cost. Why should you pay extra when there is a free system in place that works perfectly? and secondly, and I'm sure I can speak for others in my situation, I spent a long time getting out of a wheelchair and I'll be <feel free to ad mild curse word here> if I'll get back in one!

But worries aside, I think we just need to wait and see how it goes.

I'm concerned for so many reasons. On a personal level, I have a child on the spectrum, and I am concerned about her not understanding why we are going and coming so many times. We never know when the "melt down" is going to come, so, if it is a good "time" then we try to do as much as possible. We have gotten FP after FP, and have rarely used them because of the need to "get away." Her issues are a result from anxiety, that is a result from sensory disorder and from being on the spectrum. I am very unsure about how this is going to work. Anxiety that ends in seizures and passing out, that then turns into an ER visit is a disaster, and has happened to us on other vacations that were not as user friendly for her.

On an unpersonal level, as a TA, I have lots of clients that come to me because their family has special needs, and they know that I can help them plan for it. I have several families traveling right at the beginning of this window that I really can't prepare, because I have no information to give them. I will be stalking the boards, and news, for information on how this will all work.

I am hoping it is a well thought out plan, that is not just being thrown out there. I am also hoping that the CM's are actually trained thoroughly on this bc I don't want to have to explain what is suppose to be going on to the CM's. I also do not appreciate for those individuals with disabilities to be singled out by going to a kiosk over and over each day to sign up for rides. Where will these kiosks be located? I think this is an issue with sensitivity that I hope has been thought through.

It's a shame the system was abused but once it was I think the changes were inevitable.

I also don't think it's that bad expecting people to wait the same amount of time that regular guests wait in the standby line.

I personally use a GAC due to stamina issues and I wouldn't have any problem with being given a time and being asked to come back later. However I am worried about 2 things:

Firstly implementation. IT needs to work well for all types of issue. a child with autism will probably have a melt down if you have to go to the ride then walk away with a 'come back later' as they won't understand why the can't ride now. But a person with stamina issues won't want to be walking to a central location and back every time.

But worries aside, I think we just need to wait and see how it goes.
I know how you feel. I went to Disneyland Paris for the first time this summer. My sister and I both got GACs there with those disabilities you mentioned. The CM at Thunder Mountain was rude but he did let us on a little while later. I felt sorry for the other people waiting as this had never happened to us before.

The issue with my DS is that if we walk up to a ride to get the FP or return time, he may literally throw himself on the ground if we tell him that we aren't riding Soarin', that we are coming back in an hour to ride Soarin'. I like the idea of Kiosks if they are centrally located, and not right in front of the ride.

I understand how your son is. I, myself have autism and we are already like this for Radiator Springs Racers.

pirate: Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Disney discontinuing its Handicap rule in October. People will no longer be able to automatically go to the front of the line. Love this!!!!!!!
Its about time they did something like this. You have a person come up in a chair followed by 20 family members. Disney found that this was being taken advantage of like the rest of us. Did I say I loved this!!!!
Now people will have to check in and get a card proving that they have a disability in order to get this perk.
I am not hating on persons with disabilities, just tired of seeing large families take advantage of perks such as this. Especially when you see someone in a chair at a ride, then walking at the water park the next day. Yes I did see this.
I can see this helping a lot in some instances.

I guess this is where everyone has their differences. I on the other hand HATE this and I am pitching a fit. My daughter has cancer and cannot walk. People don't realize how hard this is going to be on her when we go back in October. She is on chemotherapy and MANY other medications that limit her from a lot of different things. I don't see how people could be happy about this knowing there are sick people that need assistance. I do know people were abusing the GAC card and witnessed it on previous trips. I get this and I makes me mad. But Disney is not thinking about the sick kids that were once Make a Wish kids that return wanting to experience what everyone else does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter