Haleakala sunrise or sunset?

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
After our visit to Aulani, our family will be in Kauai and Maui for a few days. We’ve decided we’d love to visit Haleakala at sunrise or sunset. Since we have a 1 yr. old, we weren’t sure which one to attempt.

Sunrise is at 5:44 am and the drive is two hours so we would need to leave around 3:00 am or sooner.

I know sunrise gets all the glory, but we are trying to decide if it would be worth it or if sunset is “almost equally” as breathtaking.
We'd appreciate your input...

We've only done the sunrise. Be advised that it is very, very, VERY cold up there; temps in the 30s with wind. It might be really unpleasant for your little one.

It was very unpleasant for my not so little ones!! LOL When you're in the middle of summer, somehow the cold is much harder to take. But you guys can take turns and let the little one stay in the car. The viewing areas are not far from the parking area.

We did sunset. The drive up during the day was amazing. You would drive seemingly to the edge of the clouds and turn just before driving out into them.

We did sunset. The drive up during the day was amazing. You would drive seemingly to the edge of the clouds and turn just before driving out into them.
I think I need convinced that sunset will be just as worth it because all you hear about is sunrise! So was the sunset worth seeing, as well as the drive during the daylight? Would it be worth doing again?
Also, did you stay long enough to see the stars come out?

Thanks so much!

It was very unpleasant for my not so little ones!! LOL When you're in the middle of summer, somehow the cold is much harder to take. But you guys can take turns and let the little one stay in the car. The viewing areas are not far from the parking area.

That’s a good idea! I wasn’t sure how far the parking area would be. I’ve read you have to get there really early to get the closest spots. I do use a handicapped pass, but that still wouldn’t guarantee a spot.

I had read about the cold and wondered how I would pack my winter coat!

From your groups’ opinion, was the sunrise worth the cold and early morning??

I think I need convinced that sunset will be just as worth it because all you hear about is sunrise! So was the sunset worth seeing, as well as the drive during the daylight? Would it be worth doing again?
Also, did you stay long enough to see the stars come out?

Thanks so much!
We did stay for several hours past sunset. My wife wanted to try her hand at star pictures.

Other pictures my wife took from our early trips to Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii.
http://www.judydonnelly.com/Travel/Destinations/Hawaii1

Here are some pictures:

At 8000 ft, not at the top yet.
DSC_4981-XL.jpg

Sunset
DSC_5206-X2.jpg

A star picture from that night. You can actually see the Milky Way in the concentration of the stars.
DSC_5253-X2.jpg

Last edited:
We did stay for several hours past sunset. My wife wanted to try her hand at star pictures.

Here are some pictures:

DSC_4981-XL.jpg

Sunset
DSC_5206-X2.jpg

A star picture from that night. You can actually see the Milky Way in the concentration of the stars.
DSC_5253-X2.jpg
Oh man, these are beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing!! I was amazed that I could see the Milky Way from our cruise ship, but zero chance of a photo there. Super cool to see yours.

That’s a good idea! I wasn’t sure how far the parking area would be. I’ve read you have to get there really early to get the closest spots. I do use a handicapped pass, but that still wouldn’t guarantee a spot.

I had read about the cold and wondered how I would pack my winter coat!

From your groups’ opinion, was the sunrise worth the cold and early morning??
As of last year, you have to reserve a pass for sunrise (on the NPS website) in case you choose that route. I think it's 60 days out, but you might check on that sooner if you think you might use it. I think it was like $1.50 fee, but the sign as you turn into the park now says it, so I assume that's a permanent change.

kdonnel your pictures are spectacular!! Based on those it’s pretty safe to say sunset is breathtaking! Thank you so much for sharing!

cgattis - thanks for the tip about getting the pass online. I hadn’t seen that info in my internet exploring. I’m thinking I will book the pass for the sunrise even if we are still unsure. It may depend on the baby’s mood the evening before, so we will still have the option if all works out.

I love doing the sunset because it’s such a great way to end the day. Instead of dragging yourself up at ungodly hours, you can have a nice day in the Kula region and close everything out with a magnificent sunset. Personally, when I get up at three in the morning to do something, I’m not interested in having a full day afterwards. I just want to go back to sleep!

Honestly, I think this is just one of those things where either way you will be happy that you experienced it. I think it’s awesome you’re taking time out to see other islands, so just enjoy yourself.

We're staying at the same resort in Maui!

We loved the Sheraton. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was spectacular, and the beach was great.

The Luau picture was taken from our balcony. We were closer to the stage on our balcony then the paying guests. We didn’t get the food but the kids wouldn’t have enjoyed Luau food. We got takeout from a nearby restaurant and ate on the balcony while we watched the Luau.

I love doing the sunset because it’s such a great way to end the day. Instead of dragging yourself up at ungodly hours, you can have a nice day in the Kula region and close everything out with a magnificent sunset. Personally, when I get up at three in the morning to do something, I’m not interested in having a full day afterwards. I just want to go back to sleep!

Honestly, I think this is just one of those things where either way you will be happy that you experienced it. I think it’s awesome you’re taking time out to see other islands, so just enjoy yourself.
Thank you for this sound advice! When you are planning what’s is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime trip, you want to do “everything!”
I have to keep your words in mind while I’m actually in Hawaii so I allow myself to be immersed in the experiences I DO have and not be concerned about the ones we miss.
I think we are leaning toward sunset. I too am the same way when I get up early. The rest of the day suffers. And knowing we only have 3 precious days in Maui, I’m not sure being exhausted for one of them is worth the early wake time.

Thanks again!

Here are some pictures:

DSC_4981-XL.jpg

Sunset
DSC_5206-X2.jpg

DSC_5253-X2.jpg
I am curious about your sunset picture. Did you guys go to the side that has the observation tower, or the other side? I'm trying to figure out which one would be better for sunrise.

I am curious about your sunset picture. Did you guys go to the side that has the observation tower, or the other side? I'm trying to figure out which one would be better for sunrise.

We were parked in the parking lot by the summit building(observation tower?).

My wife was hopeful that she could get some of the observatories in the foreground of the picture but it didn't work out.

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 11.21.34 AM.png

We were parked in the parking lot by the summit building(observation tower?).

My wife was hopeful that she could get some of the observatories in the foreground of the picture but it didn't work out.

View attachment 297475
Sorry for the confusion, yes I meant the summit building (thank you for the map picture that helped me realize what I was asking lol). I have heard that the side that has the building can get quite crowded (for sunrise) and that the other side (across from the building) has a small trail you can walk to and is not quite as crowded and has fantastic views as well. Since we are planning for sunrise I want to make sure we are situated on the best side for viewing, and you picture looked exactly for what I had envisioned. :goodvibes

Sorry for the confusion, yes I meant the summit building (thank you for the map picture that helped me realize what I was asking lol). I have heard that the side that has the building can get quite crowded (for sunrise) and that the other side (across from the building) has a small trail you can walk to and is not quite as crowded and has fantastic views as well. Since we are planning for sunrise I want to make sure we are situated on the best side for viewing, and you picture looked exactly for what I had envisioned. :goodvibes
It was crowded for sunset but nothing like I had seen in pictures that showed sunrise. If you change your mind and go for sunset it gets very dark, very quick. If you walk any of the trails I would be sure to bring multiple flash lights. You might need flashlights to walk the trails prior to sunrise.

People wise it cleared out quickly after sunset, we were the only ones there for several hours while my wife took star pictures.

It was crowded for sunset but nothing like I had seen in pictures that showed sunrise. If you change your mind and go for sunset it gets very dark, very quick. If you walk any of the trails I would be sure to bring multiple flash lights. You might need flashlights to walk the trails prior to sunrise.

People wise it cleared out quickly after sunset, we were the only ones there for several hours while my wife took star pictures.

How early did you arrive for the actual sunset? If sunset is 7:15, when would you suggest we be at the entrance of the park? We will want to take some time getting to the top.
I’m trying to figure out timing since we have a couple stops earlier in the day.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter