• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Handicapped Parking ?

Stacy9402

Mouseketeer
Where is the handicapped parking located? Is it both in the general parking and the preferred? Or do you just have to pay for preferred to get the handicap spots? Sorry I am quite young at 30 and this will be the first time I will have to use my handicap parking thingy (I had foot surgery and the doc is trying to mininumize my walking.. lol I have a 2 yr old.. Thanks in advance.

Also where do I get a wheelchair at Walt disney? Since I don't think I will make it thru out the day with out it..

STacy

Well.........I take it that you are driving your own car or will have a rental.....so you will display your hangtag and generally, the lot attendants will see that and direct you to the h/c parking lots (which, at each park, are the closest to the main entrances)........however, sometimes they will ask if you have a wheelchair with you (not IF you are getting one) and sometimes will direct you to park at the end of a row (which is closest to the tram).

If you are staying onsite, when you check-in you can ask for a room that is close to h/c parking (for mods or values) and if you are deluxe, these are closest to the entrance.

Here's some un-asked for advice.........don't get a manual wheelchair, rent a scooter instead (an EVC) and those are located right inside each park where the strollers are.

Thanks for the advice. I also was born with a deformity in both my arms and I think the scooter will work better. I have no muscle and my hands do not turn over so the palm would be face up. So that may be a problem with reg. wheelchairs.

Anyone know the cost of an evc??

Check the FAQ which is the 4th item in this forum. Generally the off-site locations charge $30 per day but cap at $199 for a week, while Disney is $30 per day with no guarantee of getting one later than park opening.

After you read the FAQ you will be able to ask better questions.

I would tell the parking CM that I needed to park next to the tram pickup in the regular parking lot if you are renting something at the parks. The handicap parking can be a long walk depending which park you are at.

I started to post, but then DD's bus got home and I got busy.
Everyone else posted what I was going to post, so all I have to add is that an ecv would be your best choice (I was going to add that with a 2 year old, you will probably need a stroller and would need someone to push the stroller plus a wheelchair.
I'm not sure what you mean by "preferred parking". The parks have a regular parking area, an area you can park in if you have a AAA permit to park there and Handicapped Parking (they call it "Medical Parking"). The fee for parking in each area is the same.
The Medical Parking is more suited for people who have brought a wheelchair or ecv with them. It is closer to the park entrance than the regular parking, but there are trams to take you from the regular parking area to the park entrance. There is NO tram service from the Medical Parking area. They do have some "loaner" wheelchairs at the Medical Parking that you can use to get to the park entrance, but they are first come, first serve with no guarantee that there will be one.
So, as Michigan mentioned, if you are going to rent in the parks, you would be better off asking to park at the end of a row near the tram stop.

I have a question: My grandmother and I will be renting a wheelchair in the park for her but there is no way she could get on and off the tram. What do we do then? Should I tell the CM that she needs to go to the handicapped spot? She has horrid knees and can walk for a short while if she takes it easy but climbing onto and off of a tram would be impossible for her.

homer424 said:
I have a question: My grandmother and I will be renting a wheelchair in the park for her but there is no way she could get on and off the tram. What do we do then? Should I tell the CM that she needs to go to the handicapped spot? She has horrid knees and can walk for a short while if she takes it easy but climbing onto and off of a tram would be impossible for her.
In you grandmother's situation you will do better renting a wheelchair from an offsite vendor. I actually rented from my regular provider at home when I rented a manual wheelchair to go on my cruise. He was fixing my power wheelchair anyway.
First if your grandmother has a handicapped placard it is still a long walk from medical parking and there may or may not be any complementary wheelchairs to get you to the park. At least for the MK you aren''t allowed to take those wheelcahirs past TTC so you still have to walk to the monorail (steep ramp) or the ferry and then enter MK and then get the rental.
Second there is no guarantee a wheelchair will be available when you get there. I have had situations where there haven't been any.
Third if you park hop there is no guarantee on will be available at the second park.

Talking Hands said:
In you grandmother's situation you will do better renting a wheelchair from an offsite vendor. I actually rented from my regular provider at home when I rented a manual wheelchair to go on my cruise. He was fixing my power wheelchair anyway.
First if your grandmother has a handicapped placard it is still a long walk from medical parking and there may or may not be any complementary wheelchairs to get you to the park. At least for the MK you aren''t allowed to take those wheelcahirs past TTC so you still have to walk to the monorail (steep ramp) or the ferry and then enter MK and then get the rental.
Second there is no guarantee a wheelchair will be available when you get there. I have had situations where there haven't been any.
Third if you park hop there is no guarantee on will be available at the second park.

Thanks for the help-that is the biggest hurdle: the wheelchair. She is going to need it but she feels getting in the wheelchair is like she is admitting defeat. I have her sold on the idea of a wheelchair in the parks and when we get to an attraction or a store or a restaurant, she can get out and walk, thankfully. I have heard that the wheelchairs lend out fast so I am now trying to convince her to rent one off-site. That is another hurdle I hope we can get over before we leave on monday!

homer424 said:
Should I tell the CM that she needs to go to the handicapped spot?
A word of warning about this. I have recently seen Orange County Sheriff's cars around the medical parking. It is a $250 ticket to park in a handicap marked space without either an HP plate or hang tag. About two years ago I forgot to put up my hang tag in a space at DTD and got a ticket; however, I was told (when I called) that if I sent a photocopy of the hang tag along with the ticket the fine would be reduced to $20.00. So even if a CM tells you to park there without a tag you can still get in trouble.

Cheshire Figment said:
A word of warning about this. I have recently seen Orange County Sheriff's cars around the medical parking. It is a $250 ticket to park in a handicap marked space without either an HP plate or hang tag. About two years ago I forgot to put up my hang tag in a space at DTD and got a ticket; however, I was told (when I called) that if I sent a photocopy of the hang tag along with the ticket the fine would be reduced to $20.00. So even if a CM tells you to park there without a tag you can still get in trouble.

She has a hangtag and we will be bringing it. Even though we have one, I wouldn't park there if we didn't have it with us.

BTW, I was able to talk her into renting a wheelchair offsite and we will have one waiting at our hotel when we get there. And it comes out to cheaper than if we rented everyday, plus we have it just in case she needs it in DTD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter