Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

We are planning on Wednesday as well. We are not staying onsite(well, not anymore) IOA opens to the general public at 9:00, so I planned on getting there around 8:30. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait. We probably will not wait more than an hour to get in HP world, as we are not die-hard fans. Would like to ride the rides(single rider is fine) and try the butter beer.

Marsha

Finally got around to riding Harry Potter this evening with the family. We had been at Universal and IoA earlier in the day. At about 3 it was pretty brutal with the heat and the crowd. So we decided to go for a swim and dinner then headed back around 7. The que for HP was showing 90 minutes. Including the ride and all it took us 60 minutes to get through it all.

Very fun ride, lived up to our expectations. Now to get my son a wand at Ollivanders without a long wait. LOL

I think everyone wants to go to WWOHP first thing when they get there at 9am. It would probably be better if WWOHP was visited in the evening or the last thing to see before leaving the park.

It seems that the massive crowds die down in the evening....perhaps it's time to change the touring plan.

If we on site guests, do you think this will work?

Sleep in, swim and relax. Head to the parks around 2:00. Use our FOTL access for everything we want to see then head to WWoHP around 7 or 8pm.....

Would love opinions on the best way to see everything and beat the massive crowds in the mornings.

On-site should go early. You only have the on-site crowd to contend with plus there is the potential of getting in before the stated 8am opening time. Also it's not as hot.

The risk of afternoon and evening are the thunderstorms might make yor wait soggy. I do not know if they close Dueling Dragons during rainstorms.

My parents and I went yesterday 6/21. We arrived at the front gate about 7:45. Most people were making their mad dash through the islands to get in the Harry Potter line. But we stopped for breakfast at Cinnabon, took some pictures and realized that there were people on Hulk even though it was only 10 after 8 and the posted opening time was 9. So off we went. We rode Hulk, Dr Doom and Spiderman twice before 9 AM.

Exiting Spiderman we saw the WWoHP line stretching through Super Hero Island back towards the entrance. I was really afraid that it was worse than the reports from Sunday and everyone had waited until Monday. We did the water rides in Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, toured the Discovery Center. The line still looked very long to get into WWoHP. Took the bridge over to Lost Continent, tried to do Posiden's Fury but got walked out of the line when it broke down. Headed into Seuss for the Caro-seuss-el. Back into LC for Sinbad, back into Seuss for the Trolley and lunch.

The trolley line was the first line we had longer than 5 minutes. It was posted at 25, down from 45 when we saw it at the Caroseussel. There seemed to be some issue at the Circus with food. The right side lines weren't moving, and people were coming out with disgusted looks. But we were in the left, and it seemed fine, although it took about 15 min. After lunch, we were going to do Cat in the Hat but it was 45 minutes. So we decided to go find the HP line and get the tickets so my Dad could wait, while my Mom and I did something else. We walked around the islands, found the end of the line in front of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. Got tickets, and realized it was moving super fast. 5 minutes later they were collecting our tickets at the barrier, and another 5 minutes we were in Hogsmeade.

Posted wait time for FJ was 120 min, but there were 10 minute waits for Dragon Challenge and Hippogriff. So we did those first. By then the weather was looking suspect, so we decided if it was going to rain, maybe we should be in the FJ queue instead of outside. I tried the test seat because I was really worried about fitting. I couldn't get it to turn green on my own, but the TM didn't have to push very hard to get it to turn. He said the one outside wasn't calibrated and thought I should be fine, so off we went into line but the posted wait time was 150 min.

I misread my watch, so I don't know exactly what time we got in line, but it was about 3:40. By 5PM (so 80 min), we had retrieved our stuff from the locker and had purchased the photo and were leaving Filch's. The line outside was moving slowly, but once we were in the castle, it went really fast. I think because of all the people stopping for pictures. Got to the test area, and they didn't even pull me out, but I asked for the test. I got my 3 clicks on my own, although they were assisting a little, and I was a happy camper!

After the ride, my Dad got in line for the regular butterbeer at the barrel outside Dervish & Bangs, my Mom and I headed for the line for Honeydukes. That took about 20 minutes. After we made our purchases, we got in the line at 3B's. That took about 30 minutes. Lines for Ollivanders and Dervish & Bangs were still really long, so we decided to save those for another day.

And since we were tired, we headed out of the park. Wait at Cat in the Hat was down to 15 minutes, so my Mom and I did that. On the way out of the park, I got stopped to do a survey.

We were all really pleased about how the day went. We only had a really long wait at FJ, which was completely expected. But 90 min from entering the gates, getting a locker, ride, and getting our stuff, we did not think was too bad for only 4 days post-GO.

So you got in the line to get into HP at around 3:30? Just trying to plan when we should hit it. We are going tomorrow, but are flexible with our times.

Also, were the single rider lines open for the rides in there?

Marsha

My parents and I went yesterday 6/21. We arrived at the front gate about 7:45. Most people were making their mad dash through the islands to get in the Harry Potter line. But we stopped for breakfast at Cinnabon, took some pictures and realized that there were people on Hulk even though it was only 10 after 8 and the posted opening time was 9. So off we went. We rode Hulk, Dr Doom and Spiderman twice before 9 AM.

Exiting Spiderman we saw the WWoHP line stretching through Super Hero Island back towards the entrance. I was really afraid that it was worse than the reports from Sunday and everyone had waited until Monday. We did the water rides in Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, toured the Discovery Center. The line still looked very long to get into WWoHP. Took the bridge over to Lost Continent, tried to do Posiden's Fury but got walked out of the line when it broke down. Headed into Seuss for the Caro-seuss-el. Back into LC for Sinbad, back into Seuss for the Trolley and lunch.

The trolley line was the first line we had longer than 5 minutes. It was posted at 25, down from 45 when we saw it at the Caroseussel. There seemed to be some issue at the Circus with food. The right side lines weren't moving, and people were coming out with disgusted looks. But we were in the left, and it seemed fine, although it took about 15 min. After lunch, we were going to do Cat in the Hat but it was 45 minutes. So we decided to go find the HP line and get the tickets so my Dad could wait, while my Mom and I did something else. We walked around the islands, found the end of the line in front of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. Got tickets, and realized it was moving super fast. 5 minutes later they were collecting our tickets at the barrier, and another 5 minutes we were in Hogsmeade.

Posted wait time for FJ was 120 min, but there were 10 minute waits for Dragon Challenge and Hippogriff. So we did those first. By then the weather was looking suspect, so we decided if it was going to rain, maybe we should be in the FJ queue instead of outside. I tried the test seat because I was really worried about fitting. I couldn't get it to turn green on my own, but the TM didn't have to push very hard to get it to turn. He said the one outside wasn't calibrated and thought I should be fine, so off we went into line but the posted wait time was 150 min.

I misread my watch, so I don't know exactly what time we got in line, but it was about 3:40. By 5PM (so 80 min), we had retrieved our stuff from the locker and had purchased the photo and were leaving Filch's. The line outside was moving slowly, but once we were in the castle, it went really fast. I think because of all the people stopping for pictures. Got to the test area, and they didn't even pull me out, but I asked for the test. I got my 3 clicks on my own, although they were assisting a little, and I was a happy camper!

After the ride, my Dad got in line for the regular butterbeer at the barrel outside Dervish & Bangs, my Mom and I headed for the line for Honeydukes. That took about 20 minutes. After we made our purchases, we got in the line at 3B's. That took about 30 minutes. Lines for Ollivanders and Dervish & Bangs were still really long, so we decided to save those for another day.

And since we were tired, we headed out of the park. Wait at Cat in the Hat was down to 15 minutes, so my Mom and I did that. On the way out of the park, I got stopped to do a survey.

We were all really pleased about how the day went. We only had a really long wait at FJ, which was completely expected. But 90 min from entering the gates, getting a locker, ride, and getting our stuff, we did not think was too bad for only 4 days post-GO.

I looked at the time stamps of messages I sent my DH.

2:15 got in line @ JP Discovery Center
got into Hogsmeade about 2:25
3:47, I texted DH from the FJ line, so we had already gotten lockers and had been in line 5 or 10 minutes.
5:12, we were all done.

And yes, they were running single rider. We were 3 people, and then a 4th person was put in the car with us.

We were there today at 0920 (not staying onsite). I had not been on here since the opening so had no idea this was going on and thought we could just wander around WWOHP and buy some items. I never had any plans to ride the FJ. There were no TM's in sight, no signs, no warning at the turnstiles just a ginormous queue snaking back into Suess Landing. I asked one guy what they were queuing for. He tells me HP and the TM had told him at least 3 hours from that point. I thought he was kidding but then a whole bunch of angry people came storming past telling the same story.

So that was today. 9.20 am approx 3 hour wait.

Oh forgot to add.....
What really annoyed me is that all the other wait times were posted as 5 mins. When we got Hulk it was 25 mins we turned back and walked to the other park which was all posted as all rides 5 mins.

Of course when we get in there RRR 35 mins Shrek 30 mins we didn't see anything else because we had already turned to walk out.

The lines for guest services at both parks were GINORMOUS! I think there a lot of really unhappy people in Universal right now.

Oh forgot to add.....
What really annoyed me is that all the other wait times were posted as 5 mins. When we got Hulk it was 25 mins we turned back and walked to the other park which was all posted as all rides 5 mins.

Of course when we get in there RRR 35 mins Shrek 30 mins we didn't see anything else because we had already turned to walk out.

The lines for guest services at both parks were GINORMOUS! I think there a lot of really unhappy people in Universal right now.

That's what happens to lines at that time of the morning. Once the GP is let in, the lines change very quickly. 30 minute lines in the summer are really good.

Looks like lines for the Wizarding World will be long for a while yet. It is just opening week.

That's what happens to lines at that time of the morning. Once the GP is let in, the lines change very quickly. 30 minute lines in the summer are really good.

Looks like lines for the Wizarding World will be long for a while yet. It is just opening week.

We are AP holders and I've never seen them be that different before today. And as an aside they were still like that when we left over an hour after intially seeing them. Universal can't change the board within an hour to reflect a more accurate time scale? Mind you seeing the ridiculousness that is WWOHP that should not surprise any of us. We go in the summer all the time I am aware thats a decent wait time but I myself prefer not to wait that long.

That's one thing that bothered me. We walked all the way back to the main entrance and were turned away and told there was a line elsewhere. There should be signs or TMs directing people, since this is so new. Sounds like the same deal is still going on(not letting people know the procedure)

Marsha

Here is my question. If Im not staying on site, get to Universal at say 6 AM for 9 AM GP opening. Am I still gonna be in line for hours inside due to onsite guests still in a line? If so, wow, that's even more ridiculous than I planned for.

My experience was very different today. My husband hadn't been on the ride yet so we decided to give it a try today. Arrived at the parks at 8:30 AM. Headed toward Harry potter. Right when we got through the Port of Entry there were 2 very large signs. One pointed toward Marvel and said Harry potter. Another pointed toward Seuss and said Onsite Hotel Guest "Harry Potter." There was a table with a Team Member beside the onsite hotel line and a roped off area. He was checking hotel IDs. We weren't staying onsite so we followed the very prominent sign posted pointing to Harry Potter that went through Marvel. We joined the line a little past Spiderman. There were team members stationed EVERYWHERE along the line who were talking to guests and watching for line jumpers. There were also First Aid/Health Services team members who were walking up and down the line looking for anyone who may have looked overheated, etc. The TMs were announcing the wait time up and down the line. He told us the wait would be about 2 hours from that point when we first entered the line. He also said the 2 hours wait would be just to enter the area and not to get on FJ.

Then right before we got to the Toon Lagoon area, there was a team member handing out tickets to get in (just in case other park guests tried to jump into line.) We weaved around the back side of Toon Lagoon and Jurassic park. The line continually moved and there were water and soda carts available everywhere along the line and also restrooms and smoking areas. No one had a problem when some people slipped out for restroom or smoke breaks since they already had their ticket and the rest of their party waited in line. We entered the Harry Potter area at 9:50 AM after having been in line 1 hour and 15 minutes, not the 2 hour wait we had been told to expect by the team members.

Then we entered the FJ ride line. It was stated to be 75 minutes. It took us only 45 minutes to get on the ride. Fans were blowing with mist almost every where and we sure appreciated that in the Greenhouse are of FJ. We left the Harry Potter area at 11:30 when I found a purse with wallet in the restroom. Since we had done most of what we wanted and I really wanted to get the purse to Lost and Found, so we left.

Time in line: 1 hour and 15 minutes to get into the Harry Potter area. Time in line for ride: 45 minutes. Total wait time 2 hours.

ETA: I got to Guest Services at around 11:40 AM so I could turn in the purse and there were only 2 families there. One needed to use the phone there and the other looked to be asking about a ticket upgrade. I certainly didn't see an angry mob at that point in time.

My experience was very different today. My husband hadn't been on the ride yet so we decided to give it a try today. Arrived at the parks at 8:30 AM. Headed toward Harry potter. Right when we got through the Port of Entry there were 2 very large signs. One pointed toward Marvel and said Harry potter. Another pointed toward Seuss and said Onsite Hotel Guest "Harry Potter." There was a table with a Team Member beside the onsite hotel line and a roped off area. He was checking hotel IDs. We weren't staying onsite so we followed the very prominent sign posted pointing to Harry Potter that went through Marvel. We joined the line a little past Spiderman.

What about the offsite package holders with early entry/breakfast ressies ? Which line did they join?

After reading this thread I am tickled pink that we went last week during the soft opening.

I think the biggest thing to take into consideration is that while WWOHP is BREATHTAKINGLY accurate in its attention to detail, etc... It's accuracy is it's downfall.

The gift shops, Olivanders, etc.. are not designed to handle mass crowds. They are SMALL.

On top of that, the actual LAND ITSELF, is quite small. the streets are narrow, and it's designed to be a land inside the park itself.

The park is being sold to capacity, and everyone is there for Harry.

Last week, when it was open at night, b4 the crowds, the wife and I walked through every shop, did OLivanders twice, rode FJ and the dragon coaster, and took the kid on Hippogriff twice in less than an hour. It's not a big area, and there isn't a lot to do once the novelty wears off.

That is, until they turn the rest of the lost continent into Diagon alley and the weasleys house... or the ministry of magic.... or Sirius blacks house...

Which is gonna happen next.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned- where can you stay offsite and still get early entry? Thanks....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter