Harry's Holidays

I think they are on as marathons over the holidays because that’s when more people are off and have time to watch them not because they are closely associated with Christmas.

The one with the Yule ball as a major plot point is the one I most closely associate with Christmas. But since all of them have a Christmas piece, I guess that's why they put them on now. I mean, there are movies associated with various holidays that have far less association. (Ex: Back in the day, they always showed Wizard of Oz around Easter, Sound of Music is always on at Christmas, etc.)

I have definitely noticed that Harry Potter stuff is associated with Christmas a lot, and I never really understood how it is considered a Christmas movie. I have seen all of them once... I binged them during Covid, so I could have easily forgotten the connection.

That said, I guess it isn't really too far-fetched, there's a lot of Star Wars Christmas stuff out there too and I never really considered Star Wars a Christmas movie. Although, I hear there IS a Star Wars Christmas special out there somewhere.
For sure... although the Guardians Holiday Special is a classic!

The first two movies definitely have a bit of a holiday feeling for us. Yes, both have scenes in the middle during Christmastime, but the vibe is tied to the release dates. They were both released in mid-November (2001 and 2002). With some of the costumes and settings vibes, not to mention the snow and decorations in several of the scenes, the early movies started to make Harry a holiday tradition. It changed with Azkaban but went back to a November release with Goblet of Fire. Most were summer after that, until Deathly Hallows. Either way, we've always thought it's why certain networks have chosen to run them a lot during the holidays.

Honestly, I see more logic in Harry Potter being given the holiday treatment vs. The Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz. One had a spring release, the other a summer release, and neither have anything wintry or holiday in the mix. My Favorite Things obviously has been covered by many as a holiday song, but it's not exactly overly holiday sounding. So, I guess Harry is in good company with other movies turned "holiday classics."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter