Has anyone else heard this in MK?

Joyciemc

DIS Veteran
I meant to post this earlier, but I kept forgetting!
On at least 3 separate occasions, Eric and I stopped for rest/bathroom breaks by the old skyride in Fantasyland. Each time we would hear at least one group insist that this was the Haunted Mansion. We heard people ask CMs where the entrance was, others wondering why HM was closed with no notice. With just us hearing it so many times, I wondered if any of you had heard this. I'm willing to bet that when they continue to walk into Liberty Square they all say "ohhhhh... that's the Haunted Mansion!"

Dan- What I meant was people were mistaking the Skyride for the Haunted Mansion... it struck me as funny because once you see the HM, it is a much more impressive building than the Skyride. I just wondered if anyone else had heard people mistake the one for the other.
My guess is these people are touring counter-clockwise and haven't come upon the HM yet, so they assume this somewhat spooky empty place is it.

sorry for the confusion!

Originally posted by Joyciemc
I meant to post this earlier, but I kept forgetting!
On at least 3 separate occasions, Eric and I stopped for rest/bathroom breaks by the old skyride in Fantasyland. Each time we would hear at least one group insist that this was the Haunted Mansion. We heard people ask CMs where the entrance was, others wondering why HM was closed with no notice. With just us hearing it so many times, I wondered if any of you had heard this. I'm willing to bet that when they continue to walk into Liberty Square they all say "ohhhhh... that's the Haunted Mansion!"

Well, they were wrong and the HM is still alive and well.

I guess I'm not going to be able to explain this.. sorry for a confusing post!:o

It makes sense to me, because i know what I'm trying to say. We heard people mistakenly think the Skyride IS the Haunted Mansion. That's all. It struck me as funny.

Sorry guys!

Ahhh, I see. :) I could see them making the mistake. It does look a little spooky and that in that area. The only time I went up there was for a meet and greet of Snow White, seeing if it was the DD of one of the DIS'ers here. It was not her on that day. But you are now clear, Joyce.

And I do not recall if I said it to you, but I like all your pictures!!!!!

I understand what you are saying. Guests were trying to go into the cottage in Fantasyland (the old skyway que line) where Snow White used to (or does she still?) do sets thinking that was the Haunted Mansion. Because of their confusion, they thought it was closed since there is nothing going on there any longer. You were asking if any of us have ever heard another guest make this mistake. I don't see why no one else understands your post. :confused: :confused: :confused:

LOL! I get what you are saying, but no Ive never heard it. However on our trip last month when we went on TTA, as soon as we entered the dark part my 3 1/2 yo said(in the most serious voice) "Dont tell me this is the Haunted Mansion???". Of course now that we are home he cant stop asking when he can go in the HM again.:rolleyes: ;)

Where is that building? I don't know if I would even remember where it is from my early trips.

Thank you! My family and I visited in August, and I wondered what that closed attraction used to be. I didn't mistake it for the HM, though. :)

It's that swiss chalet looking building next to small world. Before all of these cutbacks from the bad economy and 9 11, there was talk of converting that area to another eatery. Haven't heard anything about that lately though.

Lol, thank you for understanding me! I was regretting posting this! I guess I was just lucky to hear so many people making this mistake. Camcolt, that's a cute story!

Dan- I'm glad you liked the pictures, it's great to be able to share them!

Lora- The building is in Fantasyland. As you're walking toward Liberty Square, it'll be on your right (just past small world).

Originally posted by Lora
Where is that building? I don't know if I would even remember where it is from my early trips.

Here it is. :)

http://www.***********.com/ea9d0170.jpg

http://www.***********.com/eab61ed0.jpg

I also understood your question just late in reading it..I thought about what would make them think that and then looked at my Magic Kingdom map and BAM !!! IASW is in Fantasyland #23 and right next to it is # 22 HM. In Liberty Square. I guess they they thought it should be right next door to Small World.

:teeth:

From the time she was two up until our last trip at eight, dd has always wanted to go in there. She thinks of it as the house Snow White lived in with the dwarves....

I can see why someone in the park for the very first time may confuse it for the HM. It's a little spooky looking...

I have heard people say that before.
Other strange conclusions people jump to:
1) "This must be the tower of terror." (entering mansion)
2) "It's closed!" (upon reaching the doors at Mansion and finding them closed.)
3) The idea that City Hall is:
~a bank
~a hotel
~a post office
~an actual city hall for "governmental purposes."
4) Jungle Cruise will take you to the parking lot.
5) Liberty Sq. Riverboat will take you to the parking lot.
6) TSI Rafts will take you to the parking lot.
7) You have to pay for your meal when making a priority seating.
8) You have to go to City Hall to get FastPass.
9) The monorail and ferryboat will stop running before all guests have left the park.
10) WDW Railroad will take you to the parking lot.

Some people have all the answers.

I think they just don't know how to read the map correctly. If you look at the map, it looks as if the Haunted Mansion sits at the far end of Fantasyland, instead of in Liberty Square. If you don't really know, it can be confusing. Don't be afraid to let those poor confused souls know that if they just keep walking into Liberty Square, they will find HM, fully operational and waiting for them. They will definitely thank you!

Joyce, I understood your post and that's funny they thought that. I'm sure WDW to a first-timer that hasn't a clue can be very confusing.

Steve - LOL, Those are hilarious!! How can people even think that all those rides take you to the parking lot!!!! Thanks for sharing them! I'm sure you've seen and heard it all there in the park. :)

I think the good thing about this particular confusion is that all they need to do is keep walking, and they'll see the REAL thing shortly. Basically, as soon as they say it aloud, they realize they're wrong. So it's funny, and won't hurt their chances of having a good time.

Laura- thanks for the pics! I wished I had got some while I was there, but never did.

Steve- your list is hilarious! I'm so glad that i enjoy reading about WDW as much as going, so I'll hopefully not see something that I say on a post!

I've never heard anyone say that....but we generally just walk right through that area going the opposite direction.

And darn, I know I've heard some people come out with some interesting "statements of fact" at WDW.....but I can't recall exactly what. Safari Steve...your list is quite funny!

One thing I love about WDW though...there are so many little things you'd never know were there if you didn't wander across them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter