Has anyone sailed DCL with a carrageenan allergy?

I wouldn't necessarily expect servers to be knowledgeable about carrageenan. I recommend you have the allergy noted on your reservation, and stop by the dining changes at boarding to chat with them - though you may need to wait until dinner time the first night to speak with your assigned Head Server. I'd be prepared to suggest safe alternatives you can eat, or if it's a short list the specific items you cannot eat.

I also wouldn't expect them to be knowledgeable about it. If you know things that it tends to be used in, I'd ask specifically about those things before ordering them, and make sure to be specific.

My wife has nut allergies (standard) but also a sensitivity to coconut. We didn't find out until ~halfway through our cruise that much of the illness she was having was because they cook a LOT in coconut oil - which isn't listed as an allergen because it's processed (a lot of places also don't list peanut oil as an allergen, and I think the agent told my wife that they didn't on DCL), but which my wife reacts to. (They were great about steering her away from things that contained coconut, though, including coconut oil/fat, as an ingredient. Which is how we know that most of the desserts and dairy dishes have coconut.)

I wouldn't necessarily expect servers to be knowledgeable about carrageenan. I recommend you have the allergy noted on your reservation, and stop by the dining changes at boarding to chat with them - though you may need to wait until dinner time the first night to speak with your assigned Head Server. I'd be prepared to suggest safe alternatives you can eat, or if it's a short list the specific items you cannot eat.

Thank you. I don't expect them to be knowledgeable about it. The allergy was noted at booking, and I know to see them the first day & to place my orders the night before. There are certain items that it's almost always in, like ice cream & whipped cream, but unfortunately it's in many items that that you wouldn't suspect, like rotisserie chicken.

I've done research on how DCL handles allergies, just wanted to know if anyone has dealt specifically with carrageenan so I can ask them specific questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter