Have security checks changed what you carry into the parks?

amyntx

Earning My Ears
This is our first WDW trip and mine & the kids first time to fly since 9/11. I was wondering how the extra security checks impact entering the parks and if anyone who has been can suggest ways to make that go as smoothly and quickly as possible. Do you feel like you are really delayed entering if you have a bag and have to get it checked? I normally take a backpack that has several compartments and pockets. We normally take some snack foods, wipes, camara film, light jackets, maybe a thing or two to keep the kids occupied while waiting in line. Really as much as we can comfortably carry just in case we need something. Should I try to downsize a little bit and try to fit essentials in a couple of small fanny packs?

I personally do not think you ned to downsize your backpack if you do not want to. The security line is the same whether you have a backpack or fanny packs. Just have all the zippers open when you get to the security table. They look through your bag very quickly and they have to look in fanny packs too. It takes them less than a minute to look at your stuff, so I don't think you will save much time by downsizing.

So guards are more thorough than others, but still fast. The line looks long but moves well in most cases.
A clear backpack would be even better. I have seen some posts that say to put stuff in ziploc bags so they can see through them. Anyway, you will be fine.

Have a great trip!

pam2girls mentioned the clear backpacks....they will speed you through security. With a conventional backpack, you will be asked to unzip every compartment. When they look into each compartment, they need to be able to see to the bottom of the compartment, so you may have to unpack some items for them. We carried in one conventional backpack and went through this each time. We also carried in a mesh backpack (that you can see inside).....all we had to do was lay it down, turn it over and we were done (we did use clear ziplocs instead of opaque plastic bags for thing inside the packs, so we didn't have to open up the bags for them to inspect them. Since schools started a couple of months ago, you can find probably find the clear plastic or nylon mesh backpacks on the clearance tables at stores with the rest of the back to school stuff.

My suggestions would be to wear the jackets just to get through the line, carry the camera on a strap over your shoulder and have all the compartments unzipped before it is your turn to be checked. That will speed things up, but really it's not a big deal.

The only thing that I've changed is that pre-cut my moleskin since I can't bring in scissors to cut it. Gotta have that moleskin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter