Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

We rescheduled aulani from may to September and yesterday just cancelled that. We moved our points to WDW in September. This will be the first year we haven’t gone to aulani in 7 years. We love it there. We hope to try again next year.

I respect the Hawaii state government's right to make their own decisions. I disagree with many of those decisions. I'm frustrated, like many WDW tourists are frustrated, that we keep having to change our plans and I'm of the mindset of "screw it, I'll go to Hawaii maybe in 5 years after this has all blown over."

A week ago, they were babbling about "we're going to make every incoming visitor get a COVID-19 test before they arrive" to "if you don't get tested at home, we'll test you when you land" to yesterday's proclamation from the lieutenant governor stating that they can't force everyone to get tested, so they're now thinking of randomly testing 1 out of every 20 incoming visitors and then the test (the shove the giant Q-tip up your nose test) will be voluntary.

But only for US visitors. International visitors from specific countries - you're fine, no need to test.

Say goodbye to the Hawaiian economy. It'll end up as bad as the economic impact of that hurricane years ago to Kauai. It took Kauai 10 years to recover from that.

As much as I absolutely love Hawaii, I want it to reopen when it is safe. That may mean a vaccine. Their health care system is not large enough to support their residents and tourists.
I landed in HNL near the end of January, entered a taxi, and sneezed (and subsequently tried to restrain myself from sneezing more) The taxi driver asked 'you didn't just come from China did you?' to which I replied, 'No, Japan'. I had in fact been on Hokkaido, the first Japanese hotspot, surrounded by Chinese tourists in close quarters like packed public busess and shopping malls and restaurants, and did have respiratory symptoms (It may have been my usual monthly bug that I pick up with an immune system impacted by cancer and flying 3-5x a week, or it may have been COVID19, as both of the people I was with during that period also had a strange illness) We were already aware of an illness in Wuhan from late December, and it was certainly being discussed in Asia and in Europe by early January.

With the exception of the secluded beaches I know on the North Shore, wherever I went those few days was full of Chinese tourists. Waikiki shops and restaurants were as busy as always, or to me frankly even busier than I recalled seeing.

There is a very good chance that in fact COVID19 was being transmitted around HI (or more likely Oahu based on where Asian tourists visit) in January. Yet HI was not hard hit. This is similar to other places which never banned flights from China, and still did not see significant increase in cases.

I landed in HNL near the end of January, entered a taxi, and sneezed (and subsequently tried to restrain myself from sneezing more) The taxi driver asked 'you didn't just come from China did you?' to which I replied, 'No, Japan'. I had in fact been on Hokkaido, the first Japanese hotspot, surrounded by Chinese tourists in close quarters like packed public busess and shopping malls and restaurants, and did have respiratory symptoms (It may have been my usual monthly bug that I pick up with an immune system impacted by cancer and flying 3-5x a week, or it may have been COVID19, as both of the people I was with during that period also had a strange illness) We were already aware of an illness in Wuhan from late December, and it was certainly being discussed in Asia and in Europe by early January.

With the exception of the secluded beaches I know on the North Shore, wherever I went those few days was full of Chinese tourists. Waikiki shops and restaurants were as busy as always, or to me frankly even busier than I recalled seeing.

There is a very good chance that in fact COVID19 was being transmitted around HI (or more likely Oahu based on where Asian tourists visit) in January. Yet HI was not hard hit. This is similar to other places which never banned flights from China, and still did not see significant increase in cases.

I’ve expressed the same sentiment. Hawaii, along with most states, was not allowed to test but for very specific circumstances and may have missed confirming an early wave of cases. On my (physician) message boards there was a lot of consternation of such in February from docs there. In any event, their serious life threatening numbers remained small thankfully so it’s water under the bridge except for the damage of the misperception.

I’ve expressed the same sentiment. Hawaii, along with most states, was not allowed to test but for very specific circumstances and may have missed confirming an early wave of cases. On my (physician) message boards there was a lot of consternation of such in February from docs there. In any event, their serious life threatening numbers remained small thankfully so it’s water under the bridge except for the damage of the misperception.
I do think that there are places where the numbers were relatively low, or cases were mild, as in much of Asia. The challenge is how to balance the response and plans to reopen and in some areas it does seem that the response is out of proportion to the risk.

HI would be wise to look to Europe and how the reopening is progressing especially after 15th June. In Germany, R0 may have risen again, but cases and deaths continue to drop. All over Europe it is similar patterns, and people already began to travel a few weeks ago with some markets seeing strong hotel numbers.

Certainly the isolation of places like HI does mean that they have to be cautious, but at what cost to their people and their economy? Even in this thread it sounds like some visitors are put off for future visits because of these decisions.

Edited to add: there are other places more isolated, such as the Seychelles, and the Maldives. Both have reopened to private jets and private yachts as they have demand from the super wealthy. They have taken the risk that someone from Germany or Switzerland may have brought it, because they had to weigh the risk to the overall economic impact to their people. Both countries are now weighing how to invite back other tourists, although the Maldives plan of a minimum 14 day stay is not realistic. Both are also places where visitors go to one island/atoll for the most part, and do not travel around the country.

Last edited:
Today Fiji declared itself COVID-free, 45 days after the last case was reported.

And now what? Fiji joins a list of mostly island countries with extremely low or no cases, which has to find a way to move forward from isolation. While HI may be one of the poorest states, poverty in Fiji is much more significant. Most tourists unfortunately never travel the main island away from the resorts to see the reality of a country often ravaged by hurricanes, with poor soil and few resources other than tourism.

65 percent of their tourism comes from Australia and New Zealand, and 9 percent from the US. If Australia and NZ continue to prohibit their citizens to leave the country, Fiji will be devastated. I've seen what life is like there in a 'good' year when there are tourists to provide jobs and support schools and villages.

I'm struggling to imagine what people are going through in these poor countries reliant on tourism. I can fully understand why Tanzania opened up to try and capture at least some business during migration. Many NGOs have had to discontinue critical work helping to support populations.

There is no easy answer, but ultimately continued isolation as what Hawaii seems to be planning will have a devastating impact on the population.

I think the Gov knows that that they can’t stay shutoff until there is a vaccine. He’s played for as much time as he can but it looks like out of state visitors may be back by August. Unlike Vacation Rentals, Aluani owners are “property owners”. They are staying at property they have bought into so really can’t be denied access to their “property” Indefinitely.

Today Fiji declared itself COVID-free, 45 days after the last case was reported.

And now what? Fiji joins a list of mostly island countries with extremely low or no cases, which has to find a way to move forward from isolation. While HI may be one of the poorest states, poverty in Fiji is much more significant. Most tourists unfortunately never travel the main island away from the resorts to see the reality of a country often ravaged by hurricanes, with poor soil and few resources other than tourism.

65 percent of their tourism comes from Australia and New Zealand, and 9 percent from the US. If Australia and NZ continue to prohibit their citizens to leave the country, Fiji will be devastated. I've seen what life is like there in a 'good' year when there are tourists to provide jobs and support schools and villages.

I'm struggling to imagine what people are going through in these poor countries reliant on tourism. I can fully understand why Tanzania opened up to try and capture at least some business during migration. Many NGOs have had to discontinue critical work helping to support populations.

There is no easy answer, but ultimately continued isolation as what Hawaii seems to be planning will have a devastating impact on the population.

We know, from outbreaks like Ebola, that more people will die (at least in LMICs) from other (e.g. non-Covid) causes. For example, malnutrition because child feeding stations are closed; malaria because bed net distribution and/or spraying programs have been curtailed; vaccine-preventable diseases (measles is often a big one) because they weren‘t able to be properly vaccinated; and diarrheal diseases (among others) because basic sanitation services fall apart.

Part of my work is helping to build up essential services so that countries are able to keep providing them throughout emergencies such as this pandemic, but, in many countries, we just aren’t there yet.

Unfortunately, there is a strong correlation between the countries unable to keep up with essential services and those most at risk of the highest mortality rates from Covid. There really is no easy answer (and I am very thankful that my role does not involve trying to make such decisions).

By all reports New Zealand / Australia / Fiji are not far off a travel bubble. Will be interesting if Hawaii decide to join as it has been mentioned. Not sure how that would work with the US mainland.
I have plenty of expiring DVC points I would love to sink into the Aulani.

So I had an interesting conversation last night with a friend of ours that lives in Oahu. I told him we are scheduled for Kauai in September and getting nervous that we won't be welcome or will need to do various protocols to even be allowed in. His first comment to me was: "After July 15th I will bet my house, kids, and everything in it that your trip will be normal and fine in September." So apparently July 15th seems like some sort of "magical date" for them? He did say that the Gov is starting to feel the pressure to reopen and could reopen restaurants etc as early as today or tomorrow. He has not seen or heard any animosity towards mainlanders/tourists and he works in that industry! He also reiterated what has been said here that unemployment funds are running out and people are anxious to get back to work. He encouraged me to travel in September, but he did say if it was before July 15th he would reconsider, but anything after he feels "everything will be back to normal." Take all that for what you want, but I hope it encourages some of you that have trips coming up. It did help assuage some of my anxiety. Oh, and one more thing, he said SW was starting to amp up flights into and out of the island and that was the first time in 2 months.

So I had an interesting conversation last night with a friend of ours that lives in Oahu. I told him we are scheduled for Kauai in September and getting nervous that we won't be welcome or will need to do various protocols to even be allowed in. His first comment to me was: "After July 15th I will bet my house, kids, and everything in it that your trip will be normal and fine in September." So apparently July 15th seems like some sort of "magical date" for them? He did say that the Gov is starting to feel the pressure to reopen and could reopen restaurants etc as early as today or tomorrow. He has not seen or heard any animosity towards mainlanders/tourists and he works in that industry! He also reiterated what has been said here that unemployment funds are running out and people are anxious to get back to work. He encouraged me to travel in September, but he did say if it was before July 15th he would reconsider, but anything after he feels "everything will be back to normal." Take all that for what you want, but I hope it encourages some of you that have trips coming up. It did help assuage some of my anxiety. Oh, and one more thing, he said SW was starting to amp up flights into and out of the island and that was the first time in 2 months.
Thank you so much for this - we are booked for Thanksgiving at Aulani and honestly just looking for any glimmer of hope right now. :)

thanks for sharing. Hope, it goes as your friend suggests. We have our trip planned to Aulani and Maui over Christmas/New years. Hope for everyone else’s sake, things open up soon and the virus is contained.

By all reports New Zealand / Australia / Fiji are not far off a travel bubble. Will be interesting if Hawaii decide to join as it has been mentioned. Not sure how that would work with the US mainland.
I have plenty of expiring DVC points I would love to sink into the Aulani.
Keep in mind however that just because borders open, people will not immediately travel. They need advance notice and preparation time to book a holiday, and those countries who continue to maintain closed borders or quarantines despite marked improvements globally will find themselves the economic losers.

Indications are now that the EU will open up to Schengen by 15th June, and possibly to most of the rest of the world by 1st July. If Hawaii continues to dither, they may not be able to take advantage of the short term opportunities.

I think the Gov knows that that they can’t stay shutoff until there is a vaccine. He’s played for as much time as he can but it looks like out of state visitors may be back by August. Unlike Vacation Rentals, Aluani owners are “property owners”. They are staying at property they have bought into so really can’t be denied access to their “property” Indefinitely.

Actually, unlike many other vacation time shares, DVC members are not considered “owners”. That was made very clear to us when we joined in 2008. There is an ending date on all of the contracts.

I have a friend/old coworker that lives on Oahu also and when I asked about the July 15th date, she said that nothing has been said about any date. At first she was all for them opening up but now doesn't seem too anxious for that to happen. She's a transplant from my hometown. Her husband suffered a pretty bad heart attack while they were vacationing in Honolulu about 10 years ago. He had to stay in the hospital and she flew home, sold their house, and moved to Oahu. We work in healthcare, incidently so I'm guessing she is aware of the healthcare capabilities in Hawaii.

I have a friend/old coworker that lives on Oahu also and when I asked about the July 15th date, she said that nothing has been said about any date. At first she was all for them opening up but now doesn't seem too anxious for that to happen. She's a transplant from my hometown. Her husband suffered a pretty bad heart attack while they were vacationing in Honolulu about 10 years ago. He had to stay in the hospital and she flew home, sold their house, and moved to Oahu. We work in healthcare, incidently so I'm guessing she is aware of the healthcare capabilities in Hawaii.

I think what he is referring to is that the CARE act money runs out mid July and people will start getting antsy to get back to work?

We have a vacation planned for Aulani in late July. I wish that a) the governor would offer more specific guidance instead of just saying he is extending the quarantine past June 30th, and b) that the policies of their major air carrier which transports tourists into the state, Hawaiian Airlines, would match the wants of the governor and the people of the state.

I am concerned our trip will fall in this weird administrative limbo where the people of the state won't want me there, but things will be officially 'open' although limited. Where if I don't want to go I don't get my money back. I have tried getting a refund from HA and of course they aren't willing to give my money back at this point, just a credit. But who knows what the value of that credit will be in the future, will they go bankrupt, will fares go up drastically in an attempt to save their business? So the only certain thing right now is it appears that I will be giving HA an interest-free loan going into the future...

We have a vacation planned for Aulani in late July. I wish that a) the governor would offer more specific guidance instead of just saying he is extending the quarantine past June 30th, and b) that the policies of their major air carrier which transports tourists into the state, Hawaiian Airlines, would match the wants of the governor and the people of the state.

I am concerned our trip will fall in this weird administrative limbo where the people of the state won't want me there, but things will be officially 'open' although limited. Where if I don't want to go I don't get my money back. I have tried getting a refund from HA and of course they aren't willing to give my money back at this point, just a credit. But who knows what the value of that credit will be in the future, will they go bankrupt, will fares go up drastically in an attempt to save their business? So the only certain thing right now is it appears that I will be giving HA an interest-free loan going into the future...
Sorry—that limbo really sucks. We’re going in 2022 and I’m almost certainly not flying Hawaiian for this very reason.

that the policies of their major air carrier which transports tourists into the state, Hawaiian Airlines, would match the wants of the governor and the people of the state.
Just to be clear, Hawaiian Airlines is not a state owned company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter