Heads up for Canadian drivers in Florida

What the heck?!?!? That is just nuts! PLEASE anyone who is going down in the next few weeks post back and relate your experience, if any, with this!!! I want to know if the rental counters are enforcing this

It's not the rental companies enforcing this that I'm concerned about. If indeed this is a new law and it isn't changed before we leave in April, I'm more worried about being pulled over by the cops or getting into an accident and not having the the proper licences...then that's when the real trouble will start. I think this is a stupid law, especially for Canadians where driving in the U.S. is the same as in Canada, but for peace of mind, I'd spend the $25 for the IDP. Let's see what happens over the next couple of months.

It's not the rental companies enforcing this that I'm concerned about. If indeed this is a new law and it isn't changed before we leave in April, I'm more worried about being pulled over by the cops or geting into an accident and not having the the proper licences...then that's when the real trouble will start. I think this is a stupid law, especially for Canadians where driving in the U.S. is the same as in Canada, but for peace of mind, I'd spend the $25 for the IDP. Let's see what happens over the next couple of months.

Agreed. The one article posted earlier in this thread said the author reached out to the Florida authorities who said there will be NO grace period on this law. So I'm going to get it one way or another. Probably the only thing more annoying than having to get it is standing there trying to convince the CAA agent that I have to have it. :rotfl:

Anyone know if you can get one actually in the CAA office? i.e. processed while you wait.

From the CAA Southern Ontario site:

If you visit a CAA South Central Ontario Store, we can process the application for you in approximately 15 minutes. If your IDP is being mailed, you should allow at least three weeks for the IDP to reach you.

I went to get passport photos at Costco today but their camera was broken, so I'll try again tomorrow and report back.

This may be a stupid question, but could a non-Florida resident get a Florida DL?
The IDL is only valid for a year and it may be cheaper to get a Florida DL.

If you visit a CAA South Central Ontario Store, we can process the application for you in approximately 15 minutes. If your IDP is being mailed, you should allow at least three weeks for the IDP to reach you.

I went to get passport photos at Costco today but their camera was broken, so I'll try again tomorrow and report back.

If I recall correctly it also said you could have the passport photos done at the CAA office and it was a little cheaper for members so you could get them there as well in one visit:)

This may be a stupid question, but could a non-Florida resident get a Florida DL?
The IDL is only valid for a year and it may be cheaper to get a Florida DL.

pigletto said:
I will let you know for sure. There's nothing on my local CAA website, but it's still pretty new so I am going to go in and stay until they look into for me. I'll report back:)

Yes it is only florida

Thanks. :goodvibes

My parents have been down there since the beginning of January, driving their car with Ontario plates. They haven't heard anything about this new law, so it isn't like Canadians are being pulled over left, right and centre. I'm wondering how many enforcement officers and rental agencies are even aware?

My parents have been down there since the beginning of January, driving their car with Ontario plates. They haven't heard anything about this new law, so it isn't like Canadians are being pulled over left, right and centre.

That's why I am thinking a cop MIGHT not do anything if they pull a Canadian over.

However you might expect a rental company to ask for an IDP but I have not seen any story where the rental company did not give you a car because you did not have an IDP.

So I think it is probably not the biggest deal to not have one but nevertheless I will probably get one.

That's why I am thinking a cop MIGHT not do anything if they pull a Canadian over.

However you might expect a rental company to ask for an IDP but I have not seen any story where the rental company did not give you a car because you did not have an IDP.

So I think it is probably not the biggest deal to not have one but nevertheless I will probably get one.

I totally agree. For those of us heading down and need to drive, I think we should get one. However, it doesn't seem like it is something that they are cracking down on.

I am a government worker and we were advised today that we must have them if travelling on business. We leave in less than 3 weeks for vacation. I called Budget and they had never heard of it. The car rental places won't care immediately as they still get your cash and can you imagine the people that wont have it given the poor communication on this. But the reality is that if you are pulled over or have to deal with the police, it will be as if you did not have a licence to drive in their state.

I see it as a total cash grab which seems to be coming from CAA/AAA. Both drivers have to have it AND it is only valid for a year so you will have to get one (or 2 in my case) every year you go.

Please post back on timing for getting it and where you can go. I'll be trying to get mine this weekend. i needed this like a hole in the head!!

Please post back on timing for getting it and where you can go. I'll be trying to get mine this weekend. i needed this like a hole in the head!!

The only place you can get an IDP in Canada is through CAA (you don't have to be a member). On the CAA South Central Ontario site, they say it can be done in 15 mins. I would expect it to be the same at other CAA offices.

I'm not sure anybody knows, but what is this permit providing that the regular license isn't? Looks to me like it is just the very same information. It really makes absolutely no sense. Is it just to validify that your license is a valid license? If you can fake a license, surely you can fake an international permit, lol.

One strange question on the form is State vehicle(s) for which IDP is required. How are you supposed to answer that for a rental?

This is a quote from the author of the TripWheels article listed in this thread..
Update* we had hoped that perhaps there might be a ‘grace period’ or leniency shown given that many tourists will be already in Florida and unaware of the new rules. We have received a response from Florida law enforcement on this subject which ends that hope:

Law enforcement is there to enforce the laws, we are not selective nor can we disregard the law.

So there's that. They aren't pulling people over but have the authority to fine or jail you if you are stopped or in an accident. Never mind the technical ramifications of getting in an accident and being considered to have no license to drive legally in Florida. That's scary.
I'm getting it so I don't have to think about the what if's or possibilities and I would advise others to do the same. It's not a CAA cash grab .. it's Florida law.

I'm not sure anybody knows, but what is this permit providing that the regular license isn't? Looks to me like it is just the very same information. It really makes absolutely no sense. Is it just to validify that your license is a valid license? If you can fake a license, surely you can fake an international permit, lol.

One strange question on the form is State vehicle(s) for which IDP is required. How are you supposed to answer that for a rental?

They are basically considered a translation of your license into the official language of the State or country you are driving in which makes sense when Canadians rent cars overseas for example. But in this case what has everyone so ticked off is that it is a translation of an English license into ..English.:rolleyes1

It's redundant (as the CAA website actually said themselves) but necessary apparently.

I don't know about those forms. I'll report back what they tell me at CAA tomorrow.

I live 3 hours away from a CAA office. I'm going to Florida on the 24th. I can't mail anything because there isn't time to get it back (3 weeks by mail). I'm just wondering if they can give you one if you go into their office. If so it means a trip to Halifax sometime next week which along with costing $25. for the application plus photo cost, it will cost us $100 to make the trip to get an English translation of an English driver's license. What a load of crap. :mad:

sympatico said:
I live 3 hours away from a CAA office. I'm going to Florida on the 24th. I can't mail anything because there isn't time to get it back (3 weeks by mail). I'm just wondering if they can give you one if you go into their office. If so it means a trip to Halifax sometime next week which along with costing $25. for the application plus photo cost, it will cost us $100 to make the trip to get an English translation of an English driver's license. What a load of crap. :mad:

They say it is processed in 15 minutes in the CAA office

I am going to have to ask some of my Truck driving buddies as Florida state law all so states that they reconise Canadian CDL ( Commercial DL ) i HAVE ONE OF THOSE .

There's nothing about it on the snowbirds.org website. I'm going to give them a call and see what they suggest for my snowbird parents who are in Florida now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter