Healthy Cooking 3/21: Will your diet choice be a good life choice?

Betcha thought I forgot, huh? :)

Today's topic may seem like putting the cart before the horse but in reality it should play a key role in your diet and lifestyle changes to keep your weight off.

Many diets can help you take that weight off but can they help you maintain that weight loss?You may see great results with a low-carb, high protein diet but can you maintain that eating style for the rest of your life? If you can't, how will you keep that weight from coming back?

A diet is not something you turn to for the short term; it is a long term -- life time -- change in lifestyle if you intend on keeping this weight off. It is an integral part of a lifestyle change that involves a triangle of nutrition, exercise, and attitude. If you can't maintain any one of those three pieces of the triangle, your triangle (efforts) will collapse.

Here on WISH we are all using different programs, ones that work for each of our lifestyles. I have tried to provide a variety of recipes to meet the different programs. I am guilty of providing most with more of a WW slant because that's the program that is working for me. I try out each recipe before publishing them here so I know if it actually taste good. If I haven't met your needs or you want more variety, please let me know.

I also try to provide advice from a cooking standpoint that will be applicable to all weight loss methods. I hope it's helping you -- I know the research I've been doing has been helping me a lot!

And this week, in addition to providing some recipes, I am including a link to Oxygen's diet reviews. It's a fairly comprehensive listing of the different types of diets out there, reviewed by independent nutritionist and dieticians. I think they are objective and provide you with some interesting information to help you succeed with a diet that fits your style. Also, each diet review contains suggestions and a sample menu -- valuable for those of us who end up eating the same thing day after day!

So if you are contemplating weight loss, are looking for a new weight loss method but have questions, or are just interested in seeing how your chosen method stacks up with the rest, give this link a try.

http://www.oxygen.com/health/diet/diets/diet_reviews_20020311.html

And now onto the recipes!

Tortellini with Prosciutto and Peas in a Creamy Sauce
Makes 4 servings (yield 8 cups)

½ lb refrigerated fresh cheese tortellini
1 cup frozen peas
¼ lb deli sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper

1. Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Stir in peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking; drain.
2. Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat.
3. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (approx. 3 minutes).
4. Remove and reserve the prosciutto.
5. Dissolve flour in the milk in a small bowl and add to the skillet.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened (approx. 8-10 minutes).
7. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese and pepper.
8. Add prosciutto, tortellini, and peas and toss to coat.

6 points per serving
358 calories - 0g total fat - 6g saturated fat - 66mg cholesterol - 1236mg sodium - 38g total carbohydrates - 4g fiber - 25g protein - 324mg calcium

Sea Scallop Salad
Thoroughly dry scallops before you sauté them. If you don’t, they will steam instead of brown.
Makes 4 servings

1 lb sea scallops
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup orange juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp honey
2 navel oranges, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and coarsely chopped
½ cup thinly sliced red onion
6 oil-cured black olives, pitted
4 cups mesclun greens
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint (optional)

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, spray with nonstick spray.
2. Sprinkle scallops with pepper and ½ tsp of slat.
3. Saute scallops until brown on the outside and opaque on the inside.
4. Whisk together orange juice, oil, lemon juice, honey and remaining ¼ tsp of salt in a large bowl.
5. Add oranges, grapefruit, onion, and olives.
6. Stir in scallops.
7. Divide mesclun greens among 4 plates.
8. Top each plate with an equal amount of scallop mixture.
9. Garnish with mint if desired.

5 points per serving
251 calories - 9g total fat - 1g saturated fat - 37 mg cholesterol - 667 mg sodium - 23g total carbohydrates - 4g fiber - 21g protein - 99 mg calcium

Asparagus and Potato Frittata
Use a nonstick skillet with curved sides to the frittata slides out easily from the pan. If the handle is not ovenproof, wrap it in heavy-duty foil before putting it in the oven.
Makes 4 servings

1 large baking potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
4 large eggs
4 egg whites
½ cup fat-free milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 onion, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
2. Put potato into a sauce pan and add sufficient water to cove by 3 inches. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat; boil 5 minutes.
3. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes longer; drain and set aside to cool.
4. Combine whole eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, baking powder, and 3 tbsp of parmesan cheese in a bowl.
5. Mix in potato and asparagus.
6. Heat an ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Coat with nonstick spray and add onion; cook, stirring occasionally (approx. 2 minutes).
8. Add egg mixture and reduce heat to medium.
9. Cover and cook until almost set (approx. 10 minute).
10. Uncover skillet, sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, and transfer to the oven.
11. Bake until frittata is cooked through and cheese has browned (approx. 5 minutes).
12. Invert frittata on a plate and cut into wedges before serving.

4 points per serving
199 calories - 7g total fat - 3g saturated fat - 217mg cholesterol - 555mg sodium - 17g total carbohydrates - 2g fiber - 16g protein - 155mg calcium

Enjoy and let me know what you think of these recipes and the link. Did they help you?

Have a great Thursday,
Jeanne

YumMEE, Jeanne, these recipes sound awesome. I'm a pasta fiend so that tortellini recipe is a keeper!

Robin,
Here is another pasta dish from an earlier Healthy Cooking post. I'll keep my eyes out for others.
Jeanne

Penne with Cherry Tomatoes, Provolone, and Broccoli
A small amount of the sharp flavor of the provolone gives this dish a great flavor without much fat. Because provolone’s flavor becomes more robust with age, pick a nicely aged piece for this dish.
Makes 4 servings (yields 7 cups)

½ lb penne
2 ½ cups broccoli florets
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 oz sharp provolone cheese, shredded
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

1. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
2. Add broccoli florets to pot during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden (approx. 1 minute).
5. Add tomatoes and cook until skin begins to blister slightly (approx. 1 minute).
6. Add pasta and broccoli, salt and pepper.
7. Cook 2 minutes more to heat through.
8. Transfer to large bowl.
9. Stir in cheeses.

7 points per serving
338 calories - 9g total fat - 4g saturated fat - 12 mg cholesterol - 559 mg sodium - 50g total carbohydrates - 4g fiber - 14g protein - 185 mg calcium

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter