HELP, How Do I Re-Use Unused Air Tickets????

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
I had scheduled a trip in December 01, and unfortunately, had to cancel. I have 4 unused airline tickets that were non-refundable.

I have heard that for a fee, I can reschedule those tickets up to a year . . .how does this work? Has anyone done this?

I would rather pay the $75/pp ticket fee than to book another $180/pp flight . . .

It can vary airline to airline. SWA internet tickets are real easy to do. Other airlines, I would call the airline. Generally though, unless SWA the same people have to be going as were originally ticketed. Or that's my experience.

Definitely contact the airline - I once got a full credit good for two years from Continental on a cancelled Hawaii flight (4 years ago - don't know if they still do that)- more recently had to pay $50 per ticket to rebook flight with US Air - but that was over a year ago, too. Be sure and speak only to someone who has the authority to give you the answer - work your way up if you feel you're being put off - good luck - I've gotten upset before that the airlines can change my flight at the last minute with no penalty, but I can't change or cancel a ticket even with plenty of notice.

Call the airline to get your options. They tickets have to be re-issued where you purchased them.

On Delta, just call them up to make the new reservations, and when it comes time for payment options, tell them about the old tickets. They will apply what they can to the new ticket and you pay any difference.

Unfortunately, you can't use the web site or get the web rates with this option.

Unfortunately, I've had a few occasions where I've had to cancel. For US Air, you have to go through the re-issue department to book the new flights. I've had to reschedule Air Tran as well, but for some reason that went through Travelocity. For the latter, I had to actually send in my boarding passes to get the re-issue. The charge is $50 and the difference in fare price. I believe it is up to $75 per ticket with US Air. If you can find a cheaper fare than the tickets you cancelled, then you will reduce the out-of-pocket expense for the change fee.

For Air Tran, the new fare had to be booked one year from the original booking date . In '98, USAir had a two-year window...don't know if that's changed. Don't wait until the last minute to do the change, allow yourself at least one month before expiration in case you have to send in boarding passes, etc. I rebooked mine a few days before 9/11. If I had waited any longer, it's doubtful I could have gotten through and gotten the rebooking with all the chaos that occured at that time.

Another thing I do before doing the reissue is to look up the flight and price it online. Although you may not be able to get the online price, the fare you do get will usually be within a few dollars. I'd rather be armed with information as to the flight I want and the fare it's currently going for than be at the mercy of the airline reservationist.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter