Help!!! I Got Super Glue On My Wedding Rings!

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
It's on the gold bands & on the diamonds of my eternity ring. I know nail polish removes super glue, but is it safe to use on rings? TIA :) I'm in a bit of a panic. :scared1:

Ugh! I can't help you, but I would call a jeweler first! Hopefully with "good" rings, it will be easier. Good Luck.

luvsgrumpy said:
Ugh! I can't help you, but I would call a jeweler first! Hopefully with "good" rings, it will be easier. Good Luck.

Thanks :) If I don't hear from someone knowledgeable in the matter, I'll take them to the jewelers to be cleaned. I hate spending extra money on my mistakes, but my wedding rings aren't something to be a cheapskate with. :sad2:

I have never had a jeweler charge me for cleaning my rings, even if I didn't buy them there. I think they do it as a good-will service so you may consider them when you are in the market for jewelry again.

Good luck!

If your rings aren't gold plated you should be fine. Just make sure to use non-acetone nail polish remover. If you want to make sure, just dab a little on the inside of your ring and check the ring in about 2 hours or so before doing the whole thing.

There is a debonder product designed to remove that type of glue. Head to a model shop that sells model airplanes and supplies. They sell glue for balsa wood that is identical in composition to Super Glue. They will also sell
the debonder that will take it off almost instantly.

I have used it to get glue off my hands, so it isn't very harsh. That said, I don't know what it would do to metal.

Nail polish remover may work, I haven't tried.

I would try popping them in the freezer, super glue isn't the best hold in the cold and you shoud be able to flick the glue off. Works for hot glue, too.

When I worked in the jewelry industry we used industrial strength acetone to remove dried on glue such as epoxies and super glue. As long as they have no porous stones such as pearls, opals, etc. Yes, most jewelry stores will do a free cleaning for you, but unless they have a jeweler on premises, they probably will not have anything to remove the glue, and will have to send it off to whoever does their repair work. The one thing you NEVER want to expose your precious metals to is chlorine or mercury. In the old days if you had a particulary dirty piece of jewelry we actually cleaned with a combination of peroxide and cyanide, believe it or not!! (DON"T try this one at home) But, if you're still uncomfortable with the thought, take it to a professional jeweler.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give the freezer a try. If that doesn't work, I'll try nail polish remover now that I know it won't hurt my rings.

BTW, I've never heard that you shouldn't expose precious metals to chlorine. I never take my rings off. How strong does the chlorine have to be to damage jewelry?

Stein said:
There is a debonder product designed to remove that type of glue. Head to a model shop that sells model airplanes and supplies. They sell glue for balsa wood that is identical in composition to Super Glue. They will also sell
the debonder that will take it off almost instantly.

I have used it to get glue off my hands, so it isn't very harsh. That said, I don't know what it would do to metal.

Nail polish remover may work, I haven't tried.

The debonder works well. Not only does it work good when I CA(model airplane glue) my fingers together but it also works if I get some fingernail glue on my cuticles. I can't see how it will hurt your jewelry as long as it is 10K or 14K gold or platunium you should be fine.

Never, Never, Never wear your jewelry into chlorinated pools, hot tubs, etc. or clean with products containing bleach while wearing it. Chlorine content is too high and will cause pitting making the gold brittle over a period of time. I had a friend who wore her ring into a hot tub only to have the piece literally fall apart before her very eyes. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive piece, and wasn't good quality to start with, but still... We never worried about common tap water, it's what we usually cleaned jewelry in, along with an ammonia based jewelry cleaning product. I read one article many years ago about it probably being best not to expose jewelry to tap water, this may have been the jewelers opinion, can't recall, but IMHO I never worried about it, and the umpteen other jewelers I worked with didn't either. I would be the type to forget a ring in a public restroom and walk out without it.

you didn't mention whether the ring was white or yellow gold, I'd be very very careful what you clean your white gold jewelery with as it all eventually will get a yellowish color to it, you can get it rhodium plated at most jewelry repair shops however and it will give it back its original coloring

3disAddicts said:
Never, Never, Never wear your jewelry into chlorinated pools, hot tubs, etc. or clean with products containing bleach while wearing it. Chlorine content is too high and will cause pitting making the gold brittle over a period of time. I had a friend who wore her ring into a hot tub only to have the piece literally fall apart before her very eyes. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive piece, and wasn't good quality to start with, but still... We never worried about common tap water, it's what we usually cleaned jewelry in, along with an ammonia based jewelry cleaning product. I read one article many years ago about it probably being best not to expose jewelry to tap water, this may have been the jewelers opinion, can't recall, but IMHO I never worried about it, and the umpteen other jewelers I worked with didn't either. I would be the type to forget a ring in a public restroom and walk out without it.

I have never heard of this before. So how much time are you talking about? I have been wearing my wedding rings in pools for over 12 years and they still look like the day I got them.

Hey, at least you didn't glue them to your finger!!! :lmao:

I got it off! :woohoo: 1st I put them in the freezer, which helped a little. Then I used nail polish. It took awhile, but I finally got it all off. My rings are back on my finger looking good as new. :thumbsup2

I don't suppose it matters now, but my rings are yellow gold. Thanks for the warning, in case they had been white gold.

I'm wondering how long it would take chlorine to harm rings too. Like I mentioned earlier, I rarely take my rings off. (That is, unless I super glue them. :rolleyes1 ) I've had one of them for 16 years. One for almost 15, & my eternity band for almost 5 yrs. I'll be sure to keep that in mind & remove them in the pool from now on. I do remove them before I get in the ocean, because they're kind of loose at times & I'm afraid I'll lose them.

karynnix said:
Hey, at least you didn't glue them to your finger!!! :lmao:

I think my DH would like that. :rotfl: He called to see if I got them clean & make sure I had put them back on. I don't know if he thought once I took them off I'd never put them back on again or what. :confused3

Just another helpful hint that I am sure the Coca Cola company may not appreciate but regular Coke Classic (Red Coke) dissolves super glue. I know this for a fact and even had to use it to unglue my dd's nose when she was about 3 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter