help me decide AP VS MYW

gharrer

Mouseketeer
Will be at SSR for 5 nights in april. There will be 6 people staying in the 2BR, my 3, and 3 friends. My options are-
1. buy 1 AP and the DDE, and the rest MYW nonexpire 6 day plus tickets- DDE will be worth it for 6 people.

2. all MYW- I don't need DDE because I have DVC discounts

3. 3 APs The DVC discount will be worth it if I am back for another trip with my family
I've looked at all of the options but can't figure out the best plan. Thanks- Nancy

We came back from a trip in June and have a trip planned for next May. This was our big debate also before we went and I am still not sure that we did the right thing. We were comparing 10 day no expire with the 5 plus options and park hopping vs dvc discount annual passes. We did buy annual passes for our family of 5, but we knew we were definately coming back within the year. Since then we also added a trip in August since our tickets are "free". So we will get 3 weeks on our annual passes. When we added the August week, then I really felt better about the annual pass purchase. Some things I like about the annual pass is the ability to just spend a morning or evening in the parks and not feel like you have wasted a day pass. Some things I didn't like about the pass is that I like to do other things at Disney vs going to the parks and with the annual pass, my husband was always lets go to the parks so we can take advantage of the annual pass. I also didn't think the Premium annual pass was worth it for our family of 5 (an extra $500 I think), and my 2 older children were bugging to go to TL which was vetoed by my husband as something to save for a time when we didn't have the annual passes. If we had the MYW, we would have received 5 opportunities to go to TL or any of the other places.

So I think if we would just have had 2 weeks on the annual pass, I would have considered it a very close toss up. With 3 weeks, I am a bit happier about the annual passes. I am not sure if we'll do it again, because 3 trips in one year is definately not the norm for us. But we will enjoy the rest of these annual passes.

We did get the DDE card. We do not eat out alot, but even with the 2-3 main meals and 2-3 smaller meals, we got back our money and a little more with the DDE card on our first trip.

It was funny though, because we were always like OK, we have the DDE, annual pass and DVC member card, which one gives us the best discount.

This is exactly what I have been going through. I can't seem to find a clear winner here in this dilemma Thanks for your experience. Nancy

I too am deciding what to do and think I am leaning towards the MYW passes.

The simple reason is because I don't want to feel that we should be at the parks to "get our monies worth".

I like to relax by the pool and do a bit of shopping and not feel like we should be doing other things at the parks.

With the 10 day no expiry, as I understand it you can get the pluses and get 15 days total with the water parks? Not quite sure if this is correct but we like to do 2 parks in a one week trip and this would take us through almost 7 vacations!

The most we would ever visit Disney (because it is just too far) is 3 times in a one year period. Fall, spring and fall.

When we got our APs, I actually felt less obligated to spend every minute in the parks. It was easier to go in the morning, leave if it got crowded, and go back at night without feeling like we were wasting money. When we had hoppers we felt like we had to stay all day. I'm assuming I'd feel the same way with MYW. Also, our kids love mini golf and you get 50% off with APs. I think you also get a discount at the World of Disney store but correct me if I'm wrong. One year we were able to time it to get the renewal rate which saved even more. We weren't able to do that this year so I was thrilled when I heard about the DVC discount. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter