Help Me Decide

tracylynnhare

Earning my ears, again! Lol, Haven't been on here
I am torn between POP and Shades of Green. :'(
Help me decide!!
Shades is a little less expensive, but not enough to make my decision...

Do you plan to spend more time at MK, or more time at other parks like EP and HS? The Pop location is probably better since you can Skyliner to EP/HS. Shades of Green seems more private and perhaps a bit quieter.

Do you plan to spend more time at MK, or more time at other parks like EP and HS? The Pop location is probably better since you can Skyliner to EP/HS. Shades of Green seems more private and perhaps a bit quieter.
We have 6 day ParkHoppers, so probably a good amount at each park. We will also be going to Universal a day or two and Legoland.

Sure wouldn't be quiet when we get there, hahaha. 4 adults, 4 kids and a baby! LOL

I love the idea of the extra hours at SOG, but love the theming at POP. I am so torn!

Will you have a rental car to get around and/or go to Universal? We stayed @ Shades of Green a number of years ago and had a rental car. It really isn't convenient to the Disney parks if you don't have a car. I believe the Disney bus is the only practical way to get to the parks from there. It is possible to walk to Polynesian (although a rather long walk) and the general layout of Disney seems to discourage walking.

With small children you will likely take a mid-day break to return to your hotel, so the convenience of how you get around is also a consideration.

We will have rental cars. It seems like, as I research, it is difficult (or at least time consuming) to go from SOG to the parks. My other concern is that I think the kids would really enjoy the large icons at Pop. I took my DD (26) when she was 5 and we stayed at Wilderness. Her fist comment was "could we not afford a Disney hotel this trip"??? SERIOUSLY?? lol

Also like the idea of a balcony ...

Depending on their exact route, a Disney bus may stop at multiple other hotels before arriving at a specific park. Some find that annoying while others don't mind. Obviously, if driving your own car, then you won't be stopping at other places to pick-up/drop-off other people !!!

Will you have a rental car to get around and/or go to Universal? We stayed @ Shades of Green a number of years ago and had a rental car. It really isn't convenient to the Disney parks if you don't have a car. I believe the Disney bus is the only practical way to get to the parks from there. It is possible to walk to Polynesian (although a rather long walk) and the general layout of Disney seems to discourage walking.

With small children you will likely take a mid-day break to return to your hotel, so the convenience of how you get around is also a consideration.
It is no longer an option to walk to the Polynesian to use Disney transportation. I don’t remember the details (we’ve never stayed at SoG, though my dad is eligible if we end up traveling with my parents in the future) but Disney is expanding the road there or something and there is no longer a safe path for walking.

They closed the path around the time they broke ground for the new Poly Tower. My dad being retired military, when we went as a family we stayed there. Since SOG has their own busses that only go to the TTC, etc and park way out from where you need to be, it's just not convenient enough the last time we were there with my Parents (when DH and I go we stay DVC). With the party you are going with OP, unless you really want the extra hours for staying deluxe, I'd choose Pop. It would be easier all around with the complimentary Disney transportation.

If Shades of Green is a little cheaper, I think I would go there.

I've stayed at both. Shades has much bigger rooms with a balcony or patio, 2 queen beds a twin sleeper sofa. If you drive you have to pay at both Shades and the parks. The buses go to the transportation center for Magic Kingdom and Epcot and then you transfer to monorail. AK and HS buses share one bus for both parks. We didn't care for the food options at Shades of Green for allergies.

At Pop parking is free at the resort and at the parks-so cost between the two resorts might not be a big difference when you factor in parking. Pop food court is really great with so many options. You can walk over to Art of Animation and see Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Sally, etc. Pop buses don't share with other resorts. One bus stop at Pop. Pop bus drops you off at the front gate of Magic Kingdom-no transfer to the monorail. The Skyliner is easy to get to two parks. Pop rooms are a lot smaller. Pop is a busier resort, more activity-more people. Not nearly as quiet as Shades of Green.

oh and Pop has exterior entry-room doors open up to outside like a motel. Shades is nice because you can around the resort indoors in the AC and stay dry if the weather is lousy.

Hard choice. Skyliner is awesome! But I love the large rooms and balconies and peace at Shades of Green.

Tough call. Remember if you stay at SOG, you'll need to add $17 a night, per vehicle, for parking. Parking at the theme parks for offsite guests is $30 a day. The parking charges might offset the price difference. Also, I know the extra hours are tempting, but how old are your kids, and will they stay up for the extra hours? We've found you can either stay for extra hours or get up for rope drop, but burning the candle at both ends is exhausting and not much fun if the kids melt down.

I guess I'd consider how many rooms I need and how much time you'll spend in your room, but I'm thinking POP might be the better choice. If you really can't decide, would you do a split stay? To me, moving is more hassle than it's worth, but some folks really like to resort-hop.

Make sure your cost comparisons include parking fees — both at SOG and at the theme parks. For a party that size it’s presumably 2 vehicles so be sure to account for that.

I think SoG has suites that will fit your whole party. Is your cost comparison using the suite price (plus extra adult charges) or 2 rooms? You may want to price that both ways. You’ll need 2 rooms at POP which cannot be guaranteed connecting.

There are definitely pros and cons to either choice. It will come down to what is most important for your party.

The restaurants and the PX were enough for me to switch my reservation from POP to Shades. I am an AP so parking at parks would be free but I will use an ECV so will have to rely on busses. Since I'm staying for 13 days total ( 11 shades/2 AKL) I am ok with transportation taking a little longer-if you have limited time and want to maximize park time a Disney Hotel may be the better option but I'll know more once I get back from my trip.

Tough call. Remember if you stay at SOG, you'll need to add $17 a night, per vehicle, for parking. Parking at the theme parks for offsite guests is $30 a day. The parking charges might offset the price difference. Also, I know the extra hours are tempting, but how old are your kids, and will they stay up for the extra hours? We've found you can either stay for extra hours or get up for rope drop, but burning the candle at both ends is exhausting and not much fun if the kids melt down.

I guess I'd consider how many rooms I need and how much time you'll spend in your room, but I'm thinking POP might be the better choice. If you really can't decide, would you do a split stay? To me, moving is more hassle than it's worth, but some folks really like to resort-hop.
Thanks!! I surely don't want to do a split stay. Packing once is hard enough! haha

I am thinking we will go POP this trip. Several of the people going have never been and I think the kids will like the outdoor icons at POP!

The restaurants and the PX were enough for me to switch my reservation from POP to Shades. I am an AP so parking at parks would be free but I will use an ECV so will have to rely on busses. Since I'm staying for 13 days total ( 11 shades/2 AKL) I am ok with transportation taking a little longer-if you have limited time and want to maximize park time a Disney Hotel may be the better option but I'll know more once I get back from my trip.
Please be sure to update when you return!!

Make sure your cost comparisons include parking fees — both at SOG and at the theme parks. For a party that size it’s presumably 2 vehicles so be sure to account for that.

I think SoG has suites that will fit your whole party. Is your cost comparison using the suite price (plus extra adult charges) or 2 rooms? You may want to price that both ways. You’ll need 2 rooms at POP which cannot be guaranteed connecting.

There are definitely pros and cons to either choice. It will come down to what is most important for your party.
I tried looking for a suite and couldn't find one available. So I am comparing two rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter