Help me Pack

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
I’ve never had an issue packing for FL before but I’m second guessing everything because it’s right at the temps of needing long sleeves in the am/pm and short in the afternoon. We leave tomorrow. We are coming from the Midwest so not thin blooded. We plan to be at the parks at open and will close them down at least a couple nights. Highs of either low 70s or high 60s. Lows of 50-60. I’m leaning towards pants, t-shirts, and a couple hoodies. I also have one pair of shorts and a couple long sleeve light weight shirts. I’m not thrilled with hauling hoodies or jackets with us all day but I think that’s going to be inevitable. Or t-shirts and gloves and a hat (smaller to carry)?

Can I get away with sandals if my feet are somewhat cold hearty?

I just don’t know. I’ve lost the sense of what humid 60 feels like all day.

Cold. Those were our temps when we went in Nov. When it was sunny, it was nice, and sandals, capris, a t-shirt and cardigan were perfect, but when it got cold, windy, and rainy, it was freezing. The mornings when it was in the 40s were cold as well. There's just no way around it. You need layers. It will be cold in the morning, then warm up, them get cold again once the sun goes down.

One of my tricks is to wear the jacket / sweater in the morning. Then, when you are done with it, buy something in a gift shop, and you can shove your jacket in the purchase bag and send it to Citywalk to pick up later that night.

You need to pack it all. Even a small temperature change can feel cold if it's breezy.

We've done countless trips this time of year. The key is to dress in layers. Get a locker if you need to peel stuff off and don't want to carry it.

You'll see all sorts. You can be wearing shorts and sandals and the TMs will have their winter coats on.

Cold. Those were our temps when we went in Nov. When it was sunny, it was nice, and sandals, capris, a t-shirt and cardigan were perfect, but when it got cold, windy, and rainy, it was freezing. The mornings when it was in the 40s were cold as well. There's just no way around it. You need layers. It will be cold in the morning, then warm up, them get cold again once the sun goes down.

One of my tricks is to wear the jacket / sweater in the morning. Then, when you are done with it, buy something in a gift shop, and you can shove your jacket in the purchase bag and send it to Citywalk to pick up later that night.
Interesting. I’ve not picked up anything at CW before. I’ll have to look into that.

You need to pack it all.
😭😭😭
🤣
That’s not what I wanted to hear but I know you’re right. Better to be prepared. It’s not that expensive to check a bag. I hate paying for lockers but that makes sense. It would be easier than dragging things around all day and means we can have some thicker hoodies or jackets.

That’s not what I wanted to hear but I know you’re right. Better to be prepared. It’s not that expensive to check a bag. I hate paying for lockers but that makes sense. It would be easier than dragging things around all day and means we can have some thicker hoodies or jackets.
It's cheaper than buying jackets or gloves in theme park gift shops! We were there during a cold snap in 2010 and were so grateful not to be with all the people we saw swarming the racks of cold weather gear. It was below freezing one of the mornings we went to the MK and stayed cold all day long. It was really something. And I was glad to have so many layers along with us.

Last edited:
Here now… I’ve spent a lot of time wondering if so many people really desired the Hogwarts sweatshirts, or if they were necessary purchases. 😂. I’ve seen most people in leggings/sweat shirts, with a few venturing to puffy coats and beanies.
Are the long pants and sweatshirts warm enough for you? The puffy jackets are coming with us since we need to wear them to the airport but I’m hoping no worse than sweatshirt weather. And maybe gloves and a hat.🤞

I’m sure you’re right on Potter sweatshirts. 😉

Are the long pants and sweatshirts warm enough for you? The puffy jackets are coming with us since we need to wear them to the airport but I’m hoping no worse than sweatshirt weather. And maybe gloves and a hat.🤞

I’m sure you’re right on Potter sweatshirts. 😉
I’ve been comfortable mid-day, but cool in the mornings and evenings. But I’m from TX, so sub 70 degrees = cold in my world. 😂. But some of our evenings were mid40s/low 50s. Last night I was comfortable in jeans and a light sweater.

My go-to this time of year while visiting is wearing a tshirt and a skort (or sometimes leggings) and also wearing a thin jacket that I can tie around my waist during the warmer hours. Just a note: Some rides require you to wear your jacket if it’s not in a locker instead of around the waist. We are from the northern states though…

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!!

I’ve been comfortable mid-day, but cool in the mornings and evenings. But I’m from TX, so sub 70 degrees = cold in my world. 😂. But some of our evenings were mid40s/low 50s. Last night I was comfortable in jeans and a light sweater.
Thanks! Mid 40/low 50s is cold for park touring in my opinion. It feels nice just walking the dog for 30 mins but not sustained without a coat (for me at least).

The thing that got us was that even though it was 45 in the morning, it had been hot in the afternoons the past few days, so all the rides still had air-conditioning blasting. Not sure if that will be the case in January or not. It wasn't too bad outside, especially in the sun. You were cold but not freezing, but then, you'd step inside, and get blasted by cold air. 🥶 It felt like an arctic blast hit you. The single rider line for MIB was the worst offender. We were definitely some of the people looking for sweaters to purchase. I only had sandals with me that trip, and I really regretted not having tennis shoes and socks to help keep warm, but I'm from the south, so below 70 is cold, 40s and 50s are freezing, especially with air-conditioning going on top of that!

I've only made one Orlando trip in Jan, and all the pictures have us in long pants, and either long sleeved shirts, and often a fleece or light sweater. DH is going in 2 weeks, and he's bring a couple of fleeces, will just wear as needed. He's pretty warm natured though, and can stand the cold more than I can. I'm usually freezing. Also from the South, and think the 60s are cold!

Have a wonderful trip!!! Great time to go for low crowds, and not sweltering weather. I'd take cold over that!

The thing that got us was that even though it was 45 in the morning, it had been hot in the afternoons the past few days, so all the rides still had air-conditioning blasting. Not sure if that will be the case in January or not. It wasn't too bad outside, especially in the sun. You were cold but not freezing, but then, you'd step inside, and get blasted by cold air. 🥶 It felt like an arctic blast hit you. The single rider line for MIB was the worst offender. We were definitely some of the people looking for sweaters to purchase. I only had sandals with me that trip, and I really regretted not having tennis shoes and socks to help keep warm, but I'm from the south, so below 70 is cold, 40s and 50s are freezing, especially with air-conditioning going on top of that!
That is one thing I’ll never understand about FL. It’s hot outside and everyone’s in shorts and they air condition to 60 degrees. You need a sweatshirt for restaurants in the summer.

I've only made one Orlando trip in Jan, and all the pictures have us in long pants, and either long sleeved shirts, and often a fleece or light sweater. DH is going in 2 weeks, and he's bring a couple of fleeces, will just wear as needed. He's pretty warm natured though, and can stand the cold more than I can. I'm usually freezing. Also from the South, and think the 60s are cold!

Have a wonderful trip!!! Great time to go for low crowds, and not sweltering weather. I'd take cold over that!
thank you! On the way to the airport now. Super excited!

I’ve spent a lot of time wondering if so many people really desired the Hogwarts sweatshirts, or if they were necessary purchases. 😂.
The short version is yes, there are people who buy HP merch like sweatshirts because we like it and plan to wear it outside the parks.

The longer version: When I did my most recent Universal Orlando trip, I wore shorts and t-shirts in the park for pretty much the entire trip. I did buy two Harry Potter themed sweatshirts to wear in my day to day life because where I live it gets cold for part of the year. The sweatshirts were a practical/useful purchase to me.

I realize this advice comes too late, but FWIW, if you want to pack light and be ready for however the weather "feels," layers are your friend. I'd bring both sandals and sneakers, a selection of jeans/capris or similar, tee shirts, and sweater/hoodie/jacket layers. I try to stick to a single complimentary color palate (e.g., black/white/beige, or red/white/blue, jewel tones, etc.) so that everything in my suitcase can be mixed and matched as desired.

For a cool winter week at Universal (assuming I wanted to travel carryon-only, and was okay with wearing some of my bottoms twice), I would:

- Wear: jeans, sneakers, tee and a hoodie or light jacket on the plane, since those are my bulkiest items
- Pack in my 21" carryon: one or two additional pairs of jeans or other pants, a couple of pairs of capris or skorts (or shorts, if you tend to "run warm"), a second hoodie/sweater/light jacket, a fresh short-sleeved top for each day plus one extra, socks, underwear, swimwear if needed, a rain poncho, a pair of sturdy sandals, and my toiletry bag. (All other items, including electronics and chargers, snacks, and travel essentials, go in my "personal item" bag. If I expect it's going to be extra-cold on the plane, I'll even throw in a pashmina scarf and/or a beanie hat.)
- Subtract whatever I plan to purchase in the parks, like Kit just mentioned (e.g., if you always buy a souvenir sweatshirt or tee, you can subtract one from your packing list)

Last edited:
layers are your friend.

I try to stick to a single complimentary color palate (e.g., black/white/beige, or red/white/blue, jewel tones, etc.) so that everything in my suitcase can be mixed and matched as desired.

- Wear: jeans, sneakers, tee and a hoodie or light jacket on the plane, since those are my heaviest items

This is what I do as well, pack items that can be layered and mixed and matched and wear my bulkiest items or put them in my carry-on personal item which is usually a tote bag that a jacket or sweater can easily fit inside.

I agree with Weather_Lady, Layers are your friend. Pack for that. Also keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time outdoors walking around the parks. Anything on water is going to be a bit colder. January can sometimes be a very cold month in Florida be prepared.

I wore jeans and packed some capris as well in case it warmed up. I also packed very thin leggings from Old Navy that could double as another layer. I ended up purchasing a hoodie due to chilliness. We were there is December and the wind got quite cold at night. Plus it seemed like the Universal hotels were not turning on the heat. It was so cold in he lobbies of Royal Pacific. Freezing. I think the air conditioning was still running

Today in Tallahassee we had low's in 30's and high in the low 50's

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter