HELP!! Need Wheelchair Info

Disney Bumfords

Mouseketeer
Hi All -

My DD16 broke her ankle last night and it's so severe that she needs surgery ASAP. :sad2: Our vacation is scheduled for 6/25 and now she'll be in a wheelchair so it's going to be all different.

I'm wondering if I should call AKL and ask for a wheelchair accessible room? What are her options at the parks, transporation, etc.

This is all new to us - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

May I suggest you rent a wheelchair from offsite. The ones at the hotels and in the parks do not have the ability to elevate the leg and having her leg elevated with be more comfortable. All rooms have door wide enough for a wheelchair so that will not be an issue, Get a cover for the cast for bathing. THe resort can provide a tub chair and I would request it now before arriving through the special needs department. Buses can tranport a wheelchiar so no problem there. As long as she can get in the ride she should be fine. Will she have crutches?

Hopefully in three weeks she will be able to manage crutches to get around in the room. If she is casted she will need to cover the cast for showering . Requesting a tub/shower chair is a good idea. If you request a H/P room you might want to be sure it has a shower with the seat. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon. PD for a great trip.

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board, you'll find all sorts of information about the different places where you can rent a wheelchair, taking a wheelchair to the parks on the buses, and there are also some links to things like the Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities for each park and a past thread about boarding rides.
You will see some mentions in that thread about renting ecvs (electric scooters). I wanted to mention that you have to be over 18 to rent/use an ecv.

As the others mentioned, renting a wheelchair from off-site is probably the best for you because you would have it all the time and could get one with an elevating footrest.
Here is the phone number for the Special Reservations number that was already mentioned: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

Thanks all - I will check out the FAQ's now. She will be using crutches, however when we visit the parks, we won't use them and will rely on the wheelchair only.

We are buying her a xerosox so that she can swim and bathe with no worries.

Thanks again for your input!!

As a side note, you might want to find out who will be removing her cast and ask them to draw a line on the cast where it will be cut. Bring a few "Sharpie" pens/markers with you. Ask the characters to autograph her cast (this is where the Sharpies are needed), but warn them not to sign across the drawn line. Once the cast is taken off she will have an interesting souvenier of both the trip and the problem.

I love the idea about the autographs!!! I'm sorry, I don't have any tips, but I do wish you a wonderful trip! Think positive! You'll certainly have a great story to tell in a few years! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter