Help, please! Haven't been in 5 years, walk me through new..

Minnesota!

Shoeless in Minnesota
I swore off WDW after our ridiculous trip in 2019, and then of course, Covid has kept us away, too.

However, my youngest son is graduating and before he flies the coop, I want one more trip with him and WDW is his favorite place on earth, so...taking advantage of the Disney+ deal and some airline points..

However - HELP!!! We have never been when Lightening Lane was a thing, there are so many new rides/attractions that we want to hit (Guardians, Rat, Tron for start), and we have a short amount of time in WDW. His only requirement, out side of the new stuff, is EE and Boma breakfast. I can handle those no issue.

But, what is the easiest way to guarantee we get the other things done? I miss fastpass...I assume that is not really a thing anymore? I tried reading up on LL, but my brain went into scramble mode and none of it made sense.

Help a mom out, please?? We will have a Sun - Wed in parks. So, walk me through, point by point, what I will need to do if you could, please! And, thanks!

Honestly it's basically fast pass plus but you, currently, don't make any ride selections until morning of. And, currently, initially, one at a time. I think the worst of it is figuring out the timing of when, how often...

Last edited:
There are many good YouTube videos that help explain from the ground up. Learn about the new system Genie + (and decide if you want to use that based on crowds and cost). There are also ILL that are like one single paid fast pass. Lastly, look at videos about Virtual Queue which is how you could ride Guardians and Tron.
Ear Scouts has some very good, basic, easy to follow videos, with shots of the app side by side so you can see just what to do.

There are many good YouTube videos that help explain from the ground up. Learn about the new system Genie + (and decide if you want to use that based on crowds and cost). There are also ILL that are like one single paid fast pass. Lastly, look at videos about Virtual Queue which is how you could ride Guardians and Tron.
Ear Scouts has some very good, basic, easy to follow videos, with shots of the app side by side so you can see just what to do.
I just came across that guy recently. Is pretty good

Was just going to recommend Ear Scouts as well.

Also think it depends on when you go to the parks - season, time of day, etc. I think you will get all that done no issue.

Honestly it's basically fast pass plus but you, currently, don't make any ride selections until morning of. And, currently, initially, one at a time. I think the worst of it is figuring out the timing of when, how often...

That is what I gathered (and hated) about it - I do not want to be on my phone from the getgo each day. And refreshing and crossing my fingers. Let me run across the park with the masses and elbow some grandma out of the way for my ticket!

Was just going to recommend Ear Scouts as well.

Also think it depends on when you go to the parks - season, time of day, etc. I think you will get all that done no issue.

We are going mid-August. Our favorite time of year in FL. I know there will still be summer crowds, but I am hoping at least some less ppl due to school being back in the south.

A thread is pinned on the top of the TPAS board that contains a lot of helpful information and links. It's designed for people just like you! Please see the, 'Planning Tips for Your Walt Disney World Trip - Start Here!' thread.

That is where I tried to read and it was too much for me. I need point by point cuz ADHD :) I get super overwhelmed with a ton of info and do better with simple bullet lists or visuals. Thank you for the links, however!

There's just too much to write out, and it's all been done. The links above will help, a lot of great information there. And as others have suggested, check YouTube. Disney Food Blog, Mammoth Club - have all done good videos on how to use Genie+ and ILL's. Have a great trip with your son! Let him help with the planning - it will get him excited, too!

There's just too much to write out, and it's all been done. The links above will help, a lot of great information there. And as others have suggested, check YouTube. Disney Food Blog, Mammoth Club - have all done good videos on how to use Genie+ and ILL's. Have a great trip with your son! Let him help with the planning - it will get him excited, too!

Thank you - I am going to check out the videos as the threads on here are not conducive to how my brain works.

He is already in major planning mode - he has wanted to go back SOOO bad for SOOOO long and I just couldn't swing it (other kid in college), or work schedules or Covid. This Disney+ deal was way too good to pass up, however.

One last question - are there any rides where STANDBY is not an option at all? Like, if we decide to 100% wing each day, are there things we will for sure not get to do? Thanks!

One last question - are there any rides where STANDBY is not an option at all? Like, if we decide to 100% wing each day, are there things we will for sure not get to do? Thanks!
Right now, Guardians and Tron do not have a standby line. Either purchase an ILL or try to enter a virtual queue at 7am or 1pm. By August, who knows if they will still have the VQ, they could move to a standby line.

Thank you - I am going to check out the videos as the threads on here are not conducive to how my brain works.

He is already in major planning mode - he has wanted to go back SOOO bad for SOOOO long and I just couldn't swing it (other kid in college), or work schedules or Covid. This Disney+ deal was way too good to pass up, however.

My brain works the same way. A few sentences of info - great, I got it down! 45 sentences, different fonts, bullet points, numbering, indenting... sorry, I'm out!

Try Ear Scouts. He speaks calmly and slowly and clearly. He has the screen on the side showing you the app and where to click. if you miss something, pause the video and go right back to re-listed. You'll glean a lot of info there.

My brain works the same way. A few sentences of info - great, I got it down! 45 sentences, different fonts, bullet points, numbering, indenting... sorry, I'm out!

Try Ear Scouts. He speaks calmly and slowly and clearly. He has the screen on the side showing you the app and where to click. if you miss something, pause the video and go right back to re-listed. You'll glean a lot of info there.

You get it! I need "just the facts, ma'am". Even a word extra throws off my entire brain. I appreciate the recommendation - I will look to Ear Scouts, with my kid, this weekend!

You get it! I need "just the facts, ma'am". Even a word extra throws off my entire brain. I appreciate the recommendation - I will look to Ear Scouts, with my kid, this weekend!
I think I'll check out Ear Scouts, too. I need a new Disney vlogger to watch. Getting a little tired of the ones I currently view (with the exception of 4K WDW - love it).

That is what I gathered (and hated) about it - I do not want to be on my phone from the getgo each day. And refreshing and crossing my fingers. Let me run across the park with the masses and elbow some grandma out of the way for my ticket!

We are going mid-August. Our favorite time of year in FL. I know there will still be summer crowds, but I am hoping at least some less ppl due to school being back in the south.

That is where I tried to read and it was too much for me. I need point by point cuz ADHD :) I get super overwhelmed with a ton of info and do better with simple bullet lists or visuals. Thank you for the links, however!

Sadly the challenge is there is no easy way these days. Disney is complicated if you want to learn how to best do everything. It is why we have created so many ‘Everything…’ threads and pinned them to the top of the main TPAS board.

The great thing is you can still go and have a wonderful time without any pre-planning if you wish.

I agree with others that Ear Scouts is great if videos are easier.

I have been in mid-August and last week of August. This past August was great but there was also a hurricane going through. We just got some heavy rain on one day, so it did not bother us. We put on the ponchos and got out there. I think the time of year will help you out. We were able to do all the rides we wanted, including the virtual queues for Guardians and Tron. We did not pay for Genie+ on any of the days.

I think it depends on how long you are willing to wait and how everyone does in the heat/humidity etc. If you have been before then that's not the issue. We took mid-day breaks since we all needed a break (traveling with kids as well). I probably complained the most!

Good luck!

I have been in mid-August and last week of August. This past August was great but there was also a hurricane going through. We just got some heavy rain on one day, so it did not bother us. We put on the ponchos and got out there. I think the time of year will help you out. We were able to do all the rides we wanted, including the virtual queues for Guardians and Tron. We did not pay for Genie+ on any of the days.

I think it depends on how long you are willing to wait and how everyone does in the heat/humidity etc. If you have been before then that's not the issue. We took mid-day breaks since we all needed a break (traveling with kids as well). I probably complained the most!

Good luck!
Thanks! I've been ..50+?...times and this kid has been probably 30. So, we are cool with waiting, or not, for favorites. And the heat and humidity is why we love it, ha! We usually do the same...rope drop, head back for lunch and rest/swim, close out the park from like 430 on.

Our main goals are the new things and some log standing favorites 💜

The best way to do the new rides guaranteed is spend more money over and above your park ticket.

You can buy individual rides for Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy the morning of your planned ride for $15-$20 each starting at 7am. You can also do this for Avatar Flight of Passage, Seven Dwarves Mine Train and Rise of The Resistance if you want I don't know if those are new for you.

You can also buy a ride on the Remy by purchasing Genie+ service for $17-$23 and making a reservation starting at 7am. You can use that Genie+ to make other reservations as well (i.e. Test Track, Soarin etc. Other parks also if you get the multi-park version)

That should cover the new and new-ish rides.

If you don't want to spend the extra cash, you can sign up at 7am for a Virtual Queue and get a free boarding time for Guardians and Tron. They sell out in seconds to minutes however (usually seconds). You get another shot at 1pm though if you are inside the park. If you miss the Virtual Queue for these, and don't pay for an individual ride, you are out of luck you can't ride them. For the other newish rides you can then rope drop or wait in line.

I didn't include Millennium Falcon ride because it kind of stinks IMO but you can wait on line for that one also if it is new to you, or buy the Genie+ service and make a reservation.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter