Help!! Where to stay? SS Weekend 2024

claireclaire

Earning My Ears
Hi there! đź‘‹
Fellow Disney LOVER here...
First time participating in runDisney, doing the SS Hakuna Matata 10-Miler with my mama.
Trying to decide WHERE to stay (???)
Our race is Sunday and we are arriving either Friday night or Saturday early afternoon. Going to stay through to the next Friday for R&R and a couple low-key park visits.
We normally LOVE the Swan & Dolphin (and even the Swan Reserve) -- shoutout to Marriott Disney properties -- but are CONCERNED about buses/transportation on race morning. Any thoughts/insights from previous years? I honestly have NO idea how any of this works or how we get to where we need to be... in pitch darkness!
Sidenote: We are also considering Animal Kingdom Lodge (been there, love it), Saratoga Springs (never been), Old Key West (never been), and Wilderness Lodge (never been).
Thoughts much appreciated!!!

:welcome:

You'll find ALL the info you need here in our corner of the DIS. All the resorts, including Swan & Dophin, will have reliable bus service to the start line. There will be an email from runDisney with an Event Guide link a week or two before the races with all the times and transportation info, and also posters in your hotel lobby. Depending on the resort, buses often pick up in the convention area, so it may be a bit of a walk. But rest assured there will be other runners up early and doing the same thing, going to the same place. Base your choice on where you want to stay for your vacation.

As for timing, I would come in Friday rather than Saturday. You'll both need to visit the expo at the ESPN Sports complex (Disney will provide buses) to pick up your bibs and race shirts. Saturday will be the last day of the expo, and they usually close early (2 or 3pm iirc). Give yourself plenty of time to get there and make it part of the fun! There are lots of photo opps.

You may also want to join the official SS thread here to read up on things, get to know the other runners, and ask any questions. See you in April!

When we go to race weekends as a family, Swan & Dolphin are our first choice. Great property and zero issues with race weekend transportation. In fact because all the crescent lake resorts are so close I will sometimes hop on one of the other buses if it happens to be there and I don’t want to wait.

Second choice is Pop. Stayed there for MW which I did solo and loved being on the Skyliner.

Stay where you will be the happiest for the week or maybe consider a split stay if you want to try out something new. @The Expert had really great advice about coming in on Friday. You don’t want to miss the Expo and if you come in too late Saturday afternoon you might miss it. Take your time to check out the independent vendors when you pick up your race shirts and the photo ops by the Disney merchandise.

Any resort will have reliable bus transportation to and from the races on Sunday so you don’t have to worry about that. You may want to consider your transportations options for the rest of your stay since most of your time will be after the weekend. SS and OKW have boat transportation to Disney Springs for a non park day. Also if you feel you will need a microwave and a better mini-fridge then the DVC studios are a good choice.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

I’ve personally stayed at the all stars, pop, art of animation & French quarter for race weekends and all were good experiences

Honestly do what you and your budget feel is most comfortable

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter