Help with first timers must do list

dorisdvu

Mouseketeer
First timer trip for 3 adults and 2 kids (boy 7, girl 5) in March. Staying 5 days at DW and 2 days at US/IOA. I'm thinking that the following list is the must see/do attractions.

Illuminations Cruise
HDD
Fantasmic
Cirque du Soliel

Please help me decide which ones are absolute musts if we are unable to do them all. We are also planning 2 character meals CRT (hopefully) and another one (whereever Mickey is). Any other suggestions?

I guess you have to figure out which parks you want to see in three days, also. If you are doing USO/IOA, do you plan on getting both done in one day or one day each park?

Also, are your kids into thrill rides? You could put off USO/IOA until they are older and focus on WDW. We did USO/IOA with another family this summer and their kids (5 and 8) had not experienced thrill rides and there were a lot of tears and "I'm not going on that" throughout the parks. They enjoyed WDW rides much more. My kids have been on rollercoasters since they were tall enough, so Universal rides were a hoot for them. Just a thought. We spent a lot of time with our friends' kids explaining that Back to the Future was not going to hurt them, etc. It was tough.

Looks like you are including MK and the Studios with CRT and Fantasmic! You could plan Illuminations Cruise on one of the Universal days, along with HHD or Cirque. I, personally, would choose Cirque over HHD, but I am one of the few who did not like HHD. You have three evenings filled with activities, so try to do those on the days that the parks close early.

You could do AK in one morning and hit the Studios in the afternoon and include Fantismic! that night. That gives you a day at MK and another day at Epcot.

Dumb question, but is this during Easter Break? You have to deal with the crowds then with the few days you are going. You should do MK on an Extra Magic Hour day to get Fantasyland done in the morning without long lines. We only use the extra magic hour for MK for our family and find that it works well for Fantasyland and young kids.

Start on day one of your trip to make PS at CRT just in case you don't get through the first day, you have four other days to try for. Work around that if CRT is very important to you.

I know I have not helped with the do not miss, but just wanted to help a little in the planning. Good luck and happy planning!

Originally posted by AZKathy
I guess you have to figure out which parks you want to see in three days, also. If you are doing USO/IOA, do you plan on getting both done in one day or one day each park?

Also, are your kids into thrill rides? You could put off USO/IOA until they are older and focus on WDW. We did USO/IOA with another family this summer and their kids (5 and 8) had not experienced thrill rides and there were a lot of tears and "I'm not going on that" throughout the parks. They enjoyed WDW rides much more. My kids have been on rollercoasters since they were tall enough, so Universal rides were a hoot for them. Just a thought. We spent a lot of time with our friends' kids explaining that Back to the Future was not going to hurt them, etc. It was tough.

Looks like you are including MK and the Studios with CRT and Fantasmic! You could plan Illuminations Cruise on one of the Universal days, along with HHD or Cirque. I, personally, would choose Cirque over HHD, but I am one of the few who did not like HHD. You have three evenings filled with activities, so try to do those on the days that the parks close early.

You could do AK in one morning and hit the Studios in the afternoon and include Fantismic! that night. That gives you a day at MK and another day at Epcot.

Dumb question, but is this during Easter Break? You have to deal with the crowds then with the few days you are going. You should do MK on an Extra Magic Hour day to get Fantasyland done in the morning without long lines. We only use the extra magic hour for MK for our family and find that it works well for Fantasyland and young kids.

Start on day one of your trip to make PS at CRT just in case you don't get through the first day, you have four other days to try for. Work around that if CRT is very important to you.

I know I have not helped with the do not miss, but just wanted to help a little in the planning. Good luck and happy planning!

The kids are daredevils. Yes this is during "spring break" and I know the crowds are going to be bad. Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by dorisdvu
The kids are daredevils. Yes this is during "spring break" and I know the crowds are going to be bad. Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Then you kiddos should like a lot of things at Universal. My kids really liked it there! Have a great trip!

As for character meals, we love Garden Grill at Epcot. You will see Mickey, Goofy, Chip and/or Dale. The atmosphere is great - relaxing, but fun. Great scenery too. The restaurant is circular and revolves.

Be sure not to over-extend yourself. Slow down the pace. Seven park days can be exhausting! In the three trips we (DH, DD10, DD3, and myself) have gone, we have not done a lot outside of going to the parks & swimming at hotel pool. I don't know how we could squeeze much more in.

Universal/IOA is a blast!

We leave for our next trip this Saturday!! I'm so excited!

Happy planning!

Cirque Is a must!! I love Cirque!

Also if you are doing IOA I cant stress this enough...DO NOT miss Spider Man.....Hands down my favorite ride ever!

Here's what I recommend at the following parks:

EPCOT - Test Track should be one not to miss; although not a thrill ride, I highly recommend the American Adventure at Epcot. It's very well done and (don't tell them this part) it's educational too! Don't miss the fireworks show at the end of the day.

Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain is one not to miss, either. The theming is classis Disney, with a nice hill at the end; I'm a sucker for the classics, so I would also recommend the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise. Space Mountain is cool too, if you like roller coasters. Don't miss the fireworks show at the end of the day at MK, either.

Disney Studios - Fantasmic! Do not miss this show, period. The Indiana Jones show is fun too.

Animal Kingdom - Don't miss the safari attraction. You will all love it. For something more intense, I recommed the Dinosaur ride. Oh, and another one not to be missed is the Lion King show. Great live action.

Of your original 4 things I could miss Illuminations Cruise easily. I would not miss Cirque it is like nothing you have ever seen. We very much enjoyed Fantasmic but it wouldn't be a don't miss. Never been to HDD.
I don't know if anything is don't miss.(except Cirque) Seems we enjoy whatever we are doing at the time. I do love to see the fireworks over the castle at least once though.

I'll second the Garden Grill at Epcot (Mickey is so cute in his farmer jeans!). Do the Land ride first - NOT a thrill ride by any means but fun and informative. That way, when the Garden Grill rotates (slowly, you won't get motion sickness or anything!) you will know all the scenes.

Don't forget to see THE LION KING SHOW at AK- it is fantastic and your kids and you will love it!

MK - Definitely go to Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion, and of course a classic....It's a Small World

EPCOT - Spaceship Earth & Test Track. Plus Illuminations!

MGM - Towr of Terror & Rockin' Roller Coaster. Plus Fantasmic...my absolute favorite of all time.

AK - Lion King Show and Kilamanjaro Safari

Restaurants:
Chef Mickey's - Contemporary
50's Prime Time Cafe - MGM (This is awesome!!!)
Rainforest Cafe - AK

Have fun!!

:Pinkbounc

Everyone's do-not-miss list will vary but I'll throw out mine too.

Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's Flight

Epcot - Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Illuminations

Disney Studios - Rock'n Roller Coaster, Muppets, Star Tours

Animal Kingdom - Kilimanjaro Safari, if you'd enjoy a nice walk-Maharajah Jungle Trek, Dinosaur

Universal Park - Men in Black, Back to the Future, Terminator 3D, Shrek from what I hear (it's new), a personal favorite-Twister, Curious George Goes to Town play area (if open) for the younger kids

Islands of Adventure - Spiderman, Dueling Dragons and Hulk if any of you like coasters, the beautiful theming of The Lost Continent

But there's so much more that's good besides these so it's hard to narrow down. I would make a rough list of those attractions you feel like you must see and go from there. Be sure to hit the really popular attractions early and use FastPass at Disneyworld wisely. Of course, if you're staying onsite at Universal you have Front of the Line privileges which is very helpful.

Oh, Mythos seems to come very highly recommended for dining in the Universal parks. I love Margaritaville in Citywalk and then there's Emeril's for finer dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter