Help with "last minute" trip please!

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
We've decided to take a last minute 4 day/3 night trip this summer. :cool1: Like many DVCers, we plan 11 months in advance, so taking a trip a couple of months from now really feels last minute, and I'm not usually a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl!

Anyway, in order to get decent airfare and use some leftover points, we can go on a Mon-Thurs trip either late July, early Aug, mid Aug, or late Aug. We're not picky about where we stay as we have enough points to cover 3 nights in any studio.

When would you go? Do you think we could end up in a situation where there are absolutely no studios available? I'm thinking of booking airfare tonight or tomorrow and obviously I can't call MS until Mon to check on availability.

If any of you wise DVCers have some advice for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

We just planned a trip for May 28-31st last week - quite spur of the moment. Same reasons as you, had a few points to use and found a really cheap airfare. The only availability was at SSR. We are in a one bedroom the 1st night and then in a studio. They did call this week saying we could switch to a studio, but the extra points would go into a holding account and that wouldn't do us any good. If you are flexible, I would bet you could get something this far out.

Wow, your trip really is last minute. How cool! I hope you have a great time!

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure I'll be able to find a studio somewhere with a couple of months notice. Now I just have to figure out when to go. I'm leaning toward early August, but haven't decided yet.

I'd go late August if possible - the parks will be less crowded (but just as hot & humid, LOL). Many of the Southern schools are back in session by then, so it cuts down on the crowds.

ITA that late August will be less crowded. You won't get cooler weather, but you will have less families there. In most states, the school's are already in session or else the families are getting ready for the new school year.

You will have to contend withe the free-dining crowd, though, so if TS ADRs are important to you, you may want to go earlier. :goodvibes

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can make late Aug work for us.

Late August seems to have availability. I just booked late August last week for a studio and had my choice of SSR or OKW. I was also able to get BCV for Labor Day weekend.

Last year we went the week before our kids went back to school (Aug 19) The crowds were not bad at all. The southern schools including Florida were back and we planned the day to include pool time in the afternoon. We hit the parks when they opened and we were able to go on MANY rides before lunch. I would go with late Aug. if you can. Have fun:thumbsup2

Another reason you might consider late August is the availability of DINGS during that time frame (if you are Southwest people). I would book the studio now, however--I made the mistake of booking a Ding fare last year, and booked a studio on cash, sure that I could change it for a points ressie when MS opened on Monday-- I was wrong. That was an unexpected hit to the budget.
Free Dining starts August 26th-- either go before, or make ADRs now!

Thanks for your advice, everyone! We ended up booking a trip for Aug 6-9. It turns out that we didn't have as many options as I thought we did once we looked at the calendar and worked around dates for decent airfare. I was able to book a studio at SSR (the only resort with studios available for my dates) and I made all of my ADR's.

We're so excited to be taking this last minute trip! :cool1: Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter