here now, Epcot has second internal RD again

suebedo

Mouseketeer
Here now, this may be old news but it was a surprise to me.
we went to Epcot RD today. Got to the park at 8:15 am. They opened the tapstyles at 8:30, then we had another RD at innoventions. It was 9AM exactly when about 6-8 CMS led us over to Test Track. They told people not to run but some CMS were walking faster than others. People started running and pushing.

I'm not sure when or why they got rid of the 8:45 am staggered opening but we are back to internal RD. Crap. It creates a huge bottleneck and sometimes scary crowds pushing to get to front of line.

Ugh, truly, I really hate this. I can get panic attacks in situations like this, and I really wish they would just not hold people once they go through the turnstiles. It makes me not want to be at rope drop if they do it this way. Last year, at Epcot, AK and HS, it was all fine. They need to put it back. I did pre park open breakfast for MK, so I didn't deal with anything like that there.

Yes, we experienced this in early July. We were the first family at the tapstiles but then lost our position at the internal RD, and then it was a big herd of people rushing to Test Track. Ugh.

I read on Josh's blog that they were doing this at AK, but I wasn't aware it was happening at Epcot too.

Yes I can attest that they're doing the internal RD at AK too. We were sweltering in the sun. Why?! If we're waiting anyway, just let us wait in the shady queue of the safari.

Weird. We also got to AK prior to opening. We all headed to KS, no rope. That would have been just Thursday...

Although last week was crazy busy but I wonder if a lot of people are gonna stay home or head home before that giant rain they keep saying is going to come, comes... My poor friends! Everyone all left at the same time on Sat. Took them forever. So glad I live here! Anyway perhaps it due to really heavy crowds last week, and they think they need them or something this week...they didn't have a RD for TT, but because it was down right outta the gate, the lines stretched all the way past the tunnel...

I wonder if Disney is experimenting in some way. It seems like they keep doing different things lately.

I get why some people may not like this but as someone who enters through the International Gateway, this is the fair way to do it. Otherwise, people who enter through future world have an unfair advantage in being able to reach Soarin/TT quicker than the Epcot Resort area guests, and that really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I get why some people may not like this but as someone who enters through the International Gateway, this is the fair way to do it. Otherwise, people who enter through future world have an unfair advantage in being able to reach Soarin/TT quicker than the Epcot Resort area guests, and that really doesn't make a lot of sense.

It is the inconsistancy that is a problem for me. I wish that Disney would make a decision and then run with it. The constant changes with no rhyme or reason make me nuts!

We are always first at the turnstiles and then manage to get pushed out of the way. I can't stand an internal RD.

We enter by the IG and for a short time they were giving the IG guests a 10 minute head start. But they change it constantly, so I've given up and take Uber to the front gate if I want to be early but honestly, FP+ has killed RD at Epcot for us entirely. I only want to ride Soarin' and TT then be at the WS for 11 AM. Not worth spending 3 FP+ on for 1 ride. It is their loss, I no longer use table service for lunch but go back to the resort and have an excellent and less expensive lunch then head to Epcot WS for the afternoon.

Maybe they thought that FP+ would have reduced the crazy guest behavior? The crazies never bothered me on the "mad dash", and I have been run into by crazy parents with strollers in their rush to get to TSMM and Soarin' multiple times. But I can see how some might be intimidated by the mob behavior.

I don't speed up - I just let the river of humanity flow around me. It is kind of entertaining, watching what people will do to one another to gain a tiny advantage for something so meaningless. I mean, if this is why they have come to WDW, they have missed the entire point.

There was one time (at least 5 or 6 years ago) where I was with a fairly large party at Epcot when they had the internal RD. We were there early and got to the internal RD very early. When the CM's started assembling, my party got in front, side by side, with interlocked arms. This prevented people from trying to scoot by us as there were no cracks. I noticed this prevented a lot of chaos, at least at the front of the mob.

Ugh... I cannot stand the pushy shovey people racing to get on a ride first. ...I don't want to be part of that. Thank you for mentioning it. It won't effect me for epcot...but it will for ak. We had planned to be there for rd to get on ks. I fp ed dinosaur, kali and ee. But now I'm thinking I will replace my Dino one with ks. Just to avoid that nonsense. We can race to dinosaur ..lol . I was considering it anyway since my dh mentioned he might be slower that morning since he would have driven all day before. AK is our first park day. This just helped me make my decision.

They don't do this at dhs right?

It's a choice to enter through IG. If you choose to do that, you know it will take longer to get to the attractions that are open. Your choice. Don't like it, then you go around and enter at the main gate with everyone else. Simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter