I understand the resentment towards Genie, let me ask this: if there is no version of FP returning, would you rather have some form of Genie, or have everything be standby lines? Honest question.

We didn't visit during the recent period when it was standby ONLY, but having done a park day last week WITH using Genie+ and ILL$ and a park day last week WITHOUT using Genie+ and ILL$, I would absolutely prefer an all-standby set-up.

Another vote for all standby! I’ve done 3 Disney trips (2 WDW, 1 DL) without FP/LL/MaxPass and the lines moved so well, with only short interruptions to let DAS/child swap/recovery pass people join the line. It’s much easier on the feet to be walking more than you’re standing in lines.

I'll be the dissenter. I enjoy the virtual aspect of Genie+ or FP+ because even if I had to wait the whole length of a 2 hour line, I'd rather wait on a bench eating an ice cream cone, watching a show or taking in atmosphere than standing in a line. I don't need to *skip* the line. I just don't want to stand in it! Even if they changed it to where you go to the ride you want, scan your band, and it tells you "come back around X time" and you could only be "standing" in one virtual line at a time, I would prefer that to being stuck in line. 🤷‍♀️

I'll be the dissenter. I enjoy the virtual aspect of Genie+ or FP+ because even if I had to wait the whole length of a 2 hour line, I'd rather wait on a bench eating an ice cream cone, watching a show or taking in atmosphere than standing in a line. I don't need to *skip* the line. I just don't want to stand in it! Even if they changed it to where you go to the ride you want, scan your band, and it tells you "come back around X time" and you could only be "standing" in one virtual line at a time, I would prefer that to being stuck in line. 🤷‍♀️

That's Universal's Volcano Bay system.

For us, and our touring style, we really liked it. We were only there for 2 days, but it worked almost flawlessly for us with an later afternoon/evening at DHS. My DH was so impressed. But it may have been luck on being there a day where I could still get a headliner even when it was time to reserve at 3pm (granted, it took me a bit of refreshing, but I got it). We also have a VERY low tolerance for line waiting (because we like to take a mid-day break at hotel for a rest and an hour in the sun at the pool. So even only using it for 1 ride at AK, it probably saved us a 45 minute wait (we hopped to EP later that day and continued to use it).

I understand the resentment towards Genie, let me ask this: if there is no version of FP returning, would you rather have some form of Genie, or have everything be standby lines? Honest question.
Having been to Disney over a dozen times since 1971, the best way to have a wonderful vacation was to plan everything at home prior to arrival. If that means Genie at home, great. If it means standby ok. I rather plan my days at home and not at 7 am every morning

All standby. I did 2 trips in 2020-21 with no FP and it works just fine. I also went to Disney World in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s at least 6 times, and there were no Fast Passes and we had a great time.

We are at our gate. Plane arrived a bit late due to
the winter storm. Already a few inches of snow! Luckily living in Minneapolis means our airport can handle the snow. Hope we aren’t too far behind schedule, as we have the Very Merriest After Hours Party tonight! Hoping to arrive at TTC no later than 10:30pm. 🤞

going in 2020 vs. our trip last week i say standby.
not to mention, when it was FP+ the lopsidedness of those moving forward in the FP queue vs. standby wasn't as bad. Clearly it was still like 65/35 or maybe even more.
But now that there are people PAYING for this Genie+ service, we found ourselves many times at the excruciating part of watching the entire Genie+ line move through for only one or two parties of standby.
Obviously, if you are paying for something you are going to get a better/quicker experience...as you should!
But, when it was free for all, the standby didn't seem to get as congested, imo.

we also had a feeling on more than one occasion that disney was doing whatever they could to get people to pay money instead of waiting in line.
whether it was overstating wait times, or the single rider employee at EE telling us it would be FIFTY MINUTES (ended up being less than 20) we didn't like feeling that way

Snow Storm Extravaganza Update:

We now have an 8pm flight scheduled. They are keeping us on the plane. We will be missing the after hours party, which is a huge bummer. I foresee a long phone call asking nicely for a refund or a credit or something. Not expecting anything from it, but will try regardless. At this point we are just grateful to still get out of here (hopefully) in an hour. We are sitting on the plane adjusting tomorrow’s plans.

Seriously we have had little to no snow all fall, one of the warmest Novembers and Decembers since I can remember and the one day we fly out a giant snow storm decides to hit. 😂

Staying positive. Just excited to still visit for the weekend.

All standby. I did 2 trips in 2020-21 with no FP and it works just fine. I also went to Disney World in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s at least 6 times, and there were no Fast Passes and we had a great time.
I think a big difference between the conditions at that time were the crowd levels. Lots more people there now and although theyve added some things, they don't absorb all of them. I took my granddaughter this August, while no FP was in effect. Unfortunately she has some anxiety/sensory issues that qualify for DAS, so we used that to get return times for stuff like Slinky Dog or FOP/Navi, then did lower wait time rides in between. But otherwise, there were multiple rides in all parks with wait times over an hour long. Navi River was interesting, but a 110 minute wait to do it? Waiting 2 hrs to ride SD or Snow White?. I went to Disney as a child and teen, spent my honeymoon at WDW 38 years ago, took my kids twice in the 90, and 2000s, and did the WDW marathon 2012. I never saw wait times like that. And we were always early to park and close it down people.
The whole thing sound so complicated, and compounded with frustration with IT ISSUES. WiFi in park was unreliable and my data seemed really slow, it was tough even doing the mobile ordering, lots of hanging up and slow loading.
My granddaughter and I did Univeral for a day since we had a late leaving plane to go home. I bought the express passes; if it hadn't been a last minute decision I probably would have switched hotels and saved money by doing a Universal hotel that included the passes, they are expensive, but they work! Except for the virtual queue for Hagrids roller coaster, we didn't wait more than 15 minutes for a ride, usually almost walk on.And Univeral seem much more crowded than Disney that day anyway, especially in Harry Potter area.
They could have done a hybrid system. Expensive, limited Express Passes available for the for purchase at time of ticket purchase or if available as a add on later. Staying on site? 3 free fast anytime passes for anyride and limited in park paper timed passes. Offer a discount on express passes for people using packages. Oh well Rant over.

Snow Storm Extravaganza Update:

We now have an 8pm flight scheduled. They are keeping us on the plane. We will be missing the after hours party, which is a huge bummer. I foresee a long phone call asking nicely for a refund or a credit or something. Not expecting anything from it, but will try regardless. At this point we are just grateful to still get out of here (hopefully) in an hour. We are sitting on the plane adjusting tomorrow’s plans.

Seriously we have had little to no snow all fall, one of the warmest Novembers and Decembers since I can remember and the one day we fly out a giant snow storm decides to hit. 😂

Staying positive. Just excited to still visit for the weekend.

In 2017 we went at Christmas and our flight was majorly delayed. We didn't get in until almost 5am! And we had two babies with us!! 😩 Disney was great, upgraded our room, kids got gifts and gave us dining credits... and it wasn't even their fault!! Hoping you get all the pixie dust as well!!

100% standby. We were at Epcot today and frozen was like 125 minutes. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve seen it that long. Even figment was 15 minutes. I’ve always seen it at 5 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter