We went to World of Disney today and got in line at 9:40. At 9:50, some people walked past the line to stand in front of the second door. Others followed them and started crowding near the doors instead of waiting in line like everyone else. Kudos to the cast members working there because they only opened one door and told the crowd to go to the back of the line and wait their turn like everyone else. I can’t imagine their jobs are easy but I appreciate their diligence.

This is late for a "just back" since it's been almost a week, but I have to say that we did not experience any of the issues I've read about on these boards. I had a little trouble navigating G+ at first but got the hang of it pretty fast. We rode everything in 5 days without rope dropping and a couple of those being half days. We slept in, swam (weather was absolutely fantastic), got good last minute dining reservations. We were busy the whole time, but not frantic. The only thing we didn't ride was MMRR because it was down when we tried the first time and none of us felt like making a point to go back to it.

The week before Christmas it felt busy but not unmanageably so. Our experience solidified what I was sensing from the boards: The crowds are only a big issue for a handful of rides and restaurants.

We had a really great time, other than coming down with Covid which we clearly got at the parks. Still (and especially when compared to what we saw in other parts of FL) we thought mask compliance at WDW was really quite good. Just too many people to reasonably avoid the risk I suppose.

Glad you had a great time! We are going next week and your mention of Covid and getting it in the parks has me wondering how you are doing, if you were vaccinated/boostered and when you realized you had something wrong. Did you fly or drive? Sorry, I'm just curious.

Glad you had a great time! We are going next week and your mention of Covid and getting it in the parks has me wondering how you are doing, if you were vaccinated/boostered and when you realized you had something wrong. Did you fly or drive? Sorry, I'm just curious.
Everyone vaccinated, adults boosted. We were very careful. We flew, but based on timing we are pretty confident it came from the parks.

Here since Wednesday night. We are having the BEST time. I had forgotten how much I love Magic Kingdom and Epcot on NYE.

The MK party on 12/30 was so much fun. For a Disney nerd to party in the park with DJs playing music and cast members dancing and having fun is just the best. I love seeing everyone so happy. It was crowded on Main Street for midnight fireworks for sure but we didn't stand there. We had an 11pm dinner at The Plaza and after dinner, walked out and found a spot by the umbrella tables with a perfect view and nobody crowding us. :-)

Last night, we walked to Epcot from our hotel and walked through the park for a few hours. Had a few drinks, rode much of Future World with zero waits, then found a great uncrowded spot at the stage/benches area in Canada. Again, no crowds and nobody breathing on us. Haha. We saw where there were bunches of people and avoided that and had a great time. There were empty benches and I sat until the fireworks started. We walked back to the Swan and were in bed at 12:28! Couldn't have done it any better. I can't wait for this week to be done so that I can book it again for next year.

Trip 12/23 -1/1
Stayed at all stars music 23-30
The swan 12/30-1/1
Myself and college DD
Have been many times before including thanksgivings and spring breaks

Car service from/to MCO

Did bus from resorts. Little to no issues.

did two days at each park other than DHS only did 1 and had a down day half way through.
First day went to DS
Did early entry hour every day except last day. Got 2-3 rides except AK Since we rode FOP both days
Purchased Genie + for both MK days. My DD was a pro getting them scheduled. Rode lesser rides or did shows in between

Had great interactions with CM’s

Ate at
Earl of sandwich
Jock Lindsey
Skippers
Many holiday booths at Epcot
Woodys for breakfast
Hollywood brown derby
Satu’li twice
Flame tree
Steakhouse 71 for lunch
Nomad lounge afternoon cocktails and snacks
Aloha isle
Sleepy hollow
Tortuga tavern
Crepes a’ porter
Regal eagle

We enjoyed all our food and our waiters were all pleasant and had great service.

Rode all our favorites and REMY and MMRR for first time. Both super cute.

Our only real complaint was the heat.
Crowds continued to build as the week went on. We took lots of breaks in ac and shade. Left early a couple nights. Had to adjust a bit due to heat. Didn’t stay in Epcot for NYE, we were just done.

Didn’t see any major issues with guests. Parks were clean considering all the crowds.

Mask wearing was better than I expected.

Thankful our flights down and back were only delayed a short time.

Overall we had a fun trip (been wanting to go this week forever). Made lots of memories and enjoyed our time together.

Last edited:

Here now. Today is our only Epcot day for this trip. We got BG 56 for Remy and it’s been down all day with our estimated return time pushing further into the afternoon. It finally just changed to say they won’t be able to accommodate us today. No word on why it’s down. Bummer, but we’ll still enjoy being back here for NYE.

Didn’t have a chance to update yesterday but Remy ended up coming back up! We watched Harmonious from between the two Port of Entry shops at the front of World Showcase, and after that we walked to the IG to go to dinner at Beaches and Cream. On the way out, we passed one of the electronic boards that shows wait times, and noticed that it said Remy was boarding groups 7-9! I then checked the app and it still said Remy wasn’t boarding and they wouldn’t be able to accommodate us. We checked again after dinner and they were up to groups in the 30s. We went to the silent DJ party in the UK pavilion and then headed toward Italy to watch the NYE fireworks - by that time, they were boarding groups in the 40s. After the fireworks ended, we booked it straight to the France pavilion and the sign said “Not Boarding”, but a CM said they were and waved us in. We entered the VQ line and it was a walk-on. The ride was so much fun! I think the surprise of being able to ride it after accepting that it wasn’t going to happen for us that day made it even better.

The takeaway for anyone there when the ride goes down is to watch those boards! The app never changed to show that it had come back up. It continued to say Remy was down and that we wouldn’t be able to ride.

I'm so glad they took your situation seriously and like you, now wondering why the person made up a story. Hopefully housekeeping will follow-up with this woman, knowing that someone has reported her behaviour.

Thank you for confirming for us that guests being asked to leave the room during a room check is no longer the accepted practice at Disney. This was my understanding too so I was shocked when I heard what had happened to you!

It will be interesting to learn if you hear back again. Sadly I'm guessing it will be no but I hope they follow-up on this.

Thank you for being proactive and bringing this to the attention of resort management. Hopefully your actions will stop this from happening to someone else!

i never received a receipt/invoice for my stay via email after checkout and have had to call and email them several times. Finally got a phone number for billing ofc and they sent me the invoice within a few minutes. there is a $50 credit with a notation about “housekeeping issue” so apparently this is their final response to my experience...

Hi everyone! I just got back from an 11-day trip that covered Christmas and New Year’s. Before our trip, we read a lot of frustration over all the changes and loss of the magic, and of course a lot of people now are unfortunately dreading future trips because of that. So I just wanted to let people know that it is still possible to have a magical time at Disney! I don’t want to invalidate anyone who had a negative experience, since perspective and expectations and weather and luck and so many other factors could affect any one family’s trip. I just wanted to offer hope to those with future trips that you might still have a fantastic time!

We did purchase Genie+ and ILL one day for Rise. I did not like having to spend that money, but once we had it, it worked VERY well. Obviously they made changes for the Christmas crowd so it didn’t have the same issues as during Thanksgiving, but those changes really worked. We were able to get Genie+ reservations for every ride we wanted. For full disclosure, I’m a huge drop chicken, so I wasn’t trying to get combos like SDD and MFSR on the same day (I thought my life was over the one time I went on SDD lol). But we easily could have knocked out at least one blockbuster during early entry, like SDD, and prioritized a Genie+ reservation on the other if that’s what we wanted to do. We rope dropped Rise both of our DHS days, and that worked out just fine without having to deal with the crazy long waits later in the day. One day we were out by 8, so we still had half an hour of early entry left (since this was during the one hour early entry period). And on both of our EPCOT days, we were able to secure Genie+ reservations for both Test Track and Frozen, by getting a TT time before the two hours after park open so we beat the second round of Genie+ reservations. On NYE, the Genie+ availability was so plentiful at MK that we had two multi experience passes due to a ride breakdown (Winnie the Pooh of all rides lol…both times), and we didn’t even use them because we still had normal LL availability to use. I really think limiting the ILL ride to just one ride per park made a huge difference, and I hope Disney considers making that change permanent. Judging by the Guest Relations lines, there were a lot fewer complaints!!

We did a split stay at WL and POR, and the cast members at both were so friendly, especially at POR. I think they still have some of that reopening glow! I don’t think we waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus at either resort. On our rest days, we went over to Ft. Wilderness to check out the Christmas lights, went to Drawn to Life (absolutely amazing!!!), and did the surrey bikes at POR. So we packed in lots of fun and varied experiences!

The one big downside our whole trip was that across the board, table service restaurants are insanely slow right now. Once we got our food, we pretty much never saw our server and would have to flag them down for drink refills and the check. At Tony’s it was a good 30 minutes after we finished our food before we got our check. And at Space 220 it took them so long to bring our entrees after we finished our appetizers that the manager discounted our meal (we didn’t complain or ask for this; it was so bad they just came over and offered). It seems the staffing shortage is still plaguing the restaurants in major ways right now. 😞 Just something to keep in mind if you have timed reservations after dining (although Guest Relations was able to help us out when we had a snafu, and the line wasn’t long at all!). And the counter service restaurants had tons of mobile order availability, so we didn’t run into the problem of there being no slots for hours or a long wait after hitting prepare my order. Our longest wait was for Dole Whip haha.

So WDW isn’t firing on all cylinders right now, but overall, we had an excellent time! We definitely aren’t in the “this is our last trip for a while” camp, and instead we’re trying to figure out when we can get back! I just wanted to offer another perspective for those who are worried about upcoming trips. Safe travels and good luck to anyone heading to Disney in the near future! I hope y’all have the same magical time we did!

There are always things I would have done differently on each trip, but we do always have fun. Glad your trip was successful :wizard:

We too had a great trip. We did research and watched the vloggers so we knew what to expect. It's still magical for my family (3 teens). I can't wait to go back. We were there 12/20 to 12/26. We utilized early magic hours or rope drop. I think early strategy for my family works in getting the kids on all of their thrill rides. It's like herding sloths in the morning but once we're out, everyone is happy. I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be. I've been to Disney in June, March (spring break), Halloween and week before Christmas. It was better than expected this trip (considering everything that's going on). We came home healthy, wore our masks when needed and brought plenty of hand sanitizer. I can't wait to go back. My kids are already bugging me!

Warning, this is long!

I've been posting quite a bit as we went along so this isn't a travelog (most of that can be found in the G+ strategy thread), but this post is more overall impressions from our week spent from 12/19-12/26. (Our most recent trip before this was Thanksgiving week 2018, for reference.)

Our group: Me, hubby, 20yo daughter, 15yo son. This was our 4th trip to WDW as a whole family since 2010 (although we have also done DL California 2x and DL Paris 3x, so we are pretty savvy Disney-goers or "friends of the monster.") We have not been since pre-covid.

Our touring style: We normally rope drop to get the most of less-busy AM hours, eat a table service lunch & then take a hotel break, returning around 5PM until park close. We use fp+ (or now ILL$ and G+) and tend not to wait longer than 25-30 minutes for anything.

Thoughts on this visit:

PARK RESERVATIONS: It worked out OK for us, since we generally plan what parks we are doing ahead of time anyway. Waiting until 2pm to park hop wasn't usually a big deal since we normally don't head to our second park until after a break, however it meant that our lunch reservation had to be in park #1 unless it was after 2pm, which is later than we usually get hungry since we hit the parks so early. It was also less flexible, obviously. One day we considered altering plans, but couldn't, since there were no park reservations to switch to.

RESORT: We are usually Beach Club/Yacht Club people, but went out on a limb and tried Riviera this time. It's It's a lovely property with an upscale feel. The standard studio room we got was ideal for our family with 2 Murphy beds that easily pulled up for space, but gave everyone their own bed. Also, two showers in the room was great. Laundry down the hall was free (soap available for $1 with credit card swipe) and I never had to wait for a machine. The elevators were fast. The resort felt compact and we could get to the lobby, pool, busses, Skyliner, and restaurants so quickly. It never felt crowded. Pools and hot tub were lovely. Always plentiful recliner chairs, etc. (And this was all while the hotel was at capacity.) Definitely plan to stay again.

SKYLINER: We were firm believers in our own 2 feet, which is why we like Epcot resorts because you can walk to Epcot and DHS for early rope drop. I was worried about timing with Skyliner, especially for DHS days considering we would have to transfer at Caribbean Beach Resort. But the Riviera Skyliner opened early enough that we could take a gondola to Caribbean Beach before they started up, so we were never "behind" or waiting to catch a Skyliner when we got off to transfer. We were easily able to arrive at DHS to be first in line at one of the entry turnstiles. In fact, we never really waited longer than 2 minutes to catch a gondola even at park closing on busy days. One of our favorite things was watching Harmonious at the end of the day on the Skyliner from DHS or Epcot to Riviera. Super magical!

MOBILE ORDER: This was our first time using mobile order and we loved it. We had no trouble getting order times and nearly every time we clicked the "we're here" button, the "your order is ready" alert came almost instantaneously. We used this at Sleepy Hollow, Woody's Lunchbox, Ronto Roasters, Docking Bay 7, and Primo Piatto at Riviera. (Also, why did we never try Ronto Roasters before? They are a sleeper hit!)

GENIE+ AND ILL$: While we miss the old days of FP+ we had used MaxPass before and found it easy to adjust to using G+. Without it during the very crowded week we were there, we would not have done all we wanted to do. In general, our touring style is set up to avoid crowded mid-day times in the park because we don't like waiting in lines. Using rope drop, virtual queue, a few ILL$ and G+ we were able to do everything we wanted with our longest wait being 30 minutes to ride TSMM one morning (after failing rope drop because ROTR and TOT both broke down after we were at the front of the line.) We actually welcomed the indoor line for TSMM because it was pouring rain.

I found it most useful for DHS and MK, but can also be useful if hopping to or from AK or Epcot if you stack for arrival at the 2nd park.

There is a little learning curve with using the G+ reservation system that you really can't do until you are booking your first selection. I recommend playing with the app before you arrive. Refreshing immediately on the second the universal clock hits 7am yielded the best results. We had different members of our party on their phones all at once to get different things. Eg: 1 getting ILL$, one getting G+, one getting virtual queue. With this method we were able to get boarding group 1 twice on Remy (teenagers both times got that!) Our choice of return time for ILL$ and even a 9:40 return time for Slinky (also the teenager).

A FEW TIPS & WARNINGS: Make sure you click ALL the way through when securing ILL$. One morning I thought I had snagged FOP for our group, only to realize half an hour later that even though I had signed into my account, seen the $ total and confirmed time, I had not hit the final "next" button and my reservation was incomplete. By the time I realized my error, that reservation had been released. I tried refreshing, but it was too late. Lesson learned the hard way.

I ascribe my failure there to the fact that I was actively rope-dropping the park with my son that morning so hubby & daughter were sleeping in. The CMs at the park opening generally give you about 3 minutes after 7am to do reservations before they let the floodgates open. But it's very nerve-wracking trying to rope drop AND get reservations at the same time. I thought I had got the reservation, so switched my attention the the hoarde that was about to trample me if I did not move along. So at least my son and I got to ride FOP for rope drop, but hubby & daughter missed out since I didn't get the ILL$. Luckily, we were able to purchase it a different day in the afternoon, so they did get to go once.

Last tip: REFRESHING!

On my first try to buy a ROTR ILL$, I tried for an early time and it was already gone. Instead of searching further out, I tried the next earliest and then it was out...you see the pattern. Within 3 tries for a new time, the ressies were gone. I was crushed, but remembered the 10-minute refresh phenomenon I had learned on this board. At 7:10, I refreshed again and was able to score a morning return for ROTR. There were several times available. So if you miss the first time, try again in 10 minutes, 20 minutes.

Refreshing G+ can also be rewarding, especially in morning and afternoon. It usually only took a few minutes, but I was usually able to get an earlier return time for most rides for 4 people. This is really useful when trying to maintain a rolling G+ or when stacking for later use. I feel like we got our money's worth from G+ most days. And like I said earlier, we pretty much only did rides if they were G+, ILL$, or short rope drop AM standby lines.

DINING & ADRs: These were hard to come by this time around, even with a 7-night stay, but I eventually managed to get everything we wanted, mostly by using Mousekepros. Having reservations was usually very smooth. We generally ate breakfast in our room (groceries delivered by Kevin the Orlando Butler, A+ check him our if you need groceries delivered) and then ate 1-2 sit down meals per day. Most of the time we were seated instantly, with the exception of The Crepery (30 minute wait), Be Our Guest (30 minute wait), Yak & Yeti (10 minute wait), Cinderella's Royal Table (30 minute wait) and Hollywood Brown Derby (15 minute wait). We also ate at Nine Dragons, Rose & Crown Fireworks package, Space 220 lunch dining room, Biergarten Candlelight package, Teppan Edo, Le Cellier, Topolinos (dinner and breakfast). I will note that the servers on most of the restaurants seemed overworked, holding down a lot of tables, and multi-tasking. They were all still very cordial and friendly. In fact, I don't think we encountered any rude CMs at all. Food was good all around. We really enjoyed our dining experience.

EARLY ENTRY HOURS: I am so glad they changed early entry to be one hour instead of half hour during the busy season. It made a real difference in how many rides we could squeeze in before crowds arrived. On Christmas Day at DHS we were able to ride standby on ROTR, MFSR, MMRR, RnR, ToT, TSMM all before our first G+ of Slinky at 9:40. I will say that if you are staying off property, rope drop may no longer be an effective strategy. Early entry across all 4 parks every day means that the early crowd is more spread out (as opposed to when it was only Early Entry at one park per day) which is good for resort guests who are rope-dropping however, it also means that off-site guests can never get ahead of the crowd.

EXTENDED EVENING HOURS: Seeing as we stayed at a Deluxe resort, I was pleased with this offering. We had it at Epcot on the 20th, which was the horrible rainy day. Despite the rain, during the extra time we were able to ride Soarin and Frozen walk-on. Test Track was closed because of rain. We were wet and tired, so didn't stay the whole time, but that was the only time we managed to actually ride Soarin, despite having 2 G+ for it on different days (had to bail for ADRs both times because the G+ line was taking way too long.) Our Magic Kingdom late night was supposed to be the 23rd, but at the last minute they scrapped the Deluxe hours and just extended the regular park hours until 11. That was fine, since we were still able to pull and stack G+ for that evening and got a ton of rides in without waiting anyway.

HARMONIOUS: The show, itself, is fine. We enjoyed the line-up of songs and the fireworks and energy, but found that the whole giant-tacos-stargate-with-tentacles contraption didn't really add enough amazingness to the show to justify polluting the landscape and ruining the view across the World Showcase. Honestly, the show is carried by the music and fireworks, not by the odd projections. I got more "feels" just feeling the music boom in my chest while walking through World Showcase during the show than by actually seeing the projections.

LIGHT SABER EXPERIENCE: We hadn't planned to do this, so had not made reservations, but when we arrived, my husband seemed interested whenever he saw people carrying around their light sabers. I knew it was probably a lost cause, but I secretly started checking availability every now and then for cancelations. It took a few days, but I eventually scored a reservation for 2 on Christmas day. It was a great surprise for hubby & son (and daughter and I got to go along as their guests). The actor who did the ceremony was fantastic and we all really enjoyed the experience. Definitely recommend.

THE MAGIC: Well, despite things feeling like Disney was still a bit understaffed and let a few too many people back too early, we still felt the magic. The frequency of ride break-downs was our biggest complaint. But our family still had a really good time. This was all the more apparent after we left Disney and headed for 4 days at Universal. Even with the Express Pass (we stayed at Portofino Bay, which includes it as a perk) we just weren't as enchanted by the offerings and didn't feel the need to repeat many of the rides. All the Harry Potter areas were wall-to-wall people from morning until night. Forget trying to cast spells or even just take in the atmosphere. Sadly, we avoided going to those areas, even though they are favorites. (Not going to lie, I enjoyed Hagrid's motorbikes more than ROTR, and Velocicoaster is a seriously fun coaster, but we left Universal feeling a little hollow.) I don't know exactly what it is, but maybe it's just the little things like how Disney CM's smile and wave to you when you enter or exit the parks...somehow, the magic is still there. ♥

Last edited:
Warning, this is long!

I've been posting quite a bit as we went along so this isn't a travelog (most of that can be found in the G+ strategy thread), but this post is more overall impressions from our week spent from 12/19-12/26. (Our most recent trip before this was Thanksgiving week 2018, for reference.)

Our group: Me, hubby, 20yo daughter, 15yo son. This was our 4th trip to WDW as a whole family since 2010 (although we have also done DL California 2x and DL Paris 3x, so we are pretty savvy Disney-goers or "friends of the monster.") We have not been since pre-covid.

Our touring style: We normally rope drop to get the most of less-busy AM hours, eat a table service lunch & then take a hotel break, returning around 5PM until park close. We use fp+ (or now ILL$ and G+) and tend not to wait longer than 25-30 minutes for anything.

Thoughts on this visit:

PARK RESERVATIONS: It worked out OK for us, since we generally plan what parks we are doing ahead of time anyway. Waiting until 2pm to park hop wasn't usually a big deal since we normally don't head to our second park until after a break, however it meant that our lunch reservation had to be in park #1 unless it was after 2pm, which is later than we usually get hungry since we hit the parks so early. It was also less flexible, obviously. One day we considered altering plans, but couldn't, since there were no park reservations to switch to.

RESORT: We are usually Beach Club/Yacht Club people, but went out on a limb and tried Riviera this time. It's It's a lovely property with an upscale feel. The standard studio room we got was ideal for our family with 2 Murphy beds that easily pulled up for space, but gave everyone their own bed. Also, two showers in the room was great. Laundry down the hall was free (soap available for $1 with credit card swipe) and I never had to wait for a machine. The elevators were fast. The resort felt compact and we could get to the lobby, pool, busses, Skyliner, and restaurants so quickly. It never felt crowded. Pools and hot tub were lovely. Always plentiful recliner chairs, etc. (And this was all while the hotel was at capacity.) Definitely plan to stay again.

SKYLINER: We were firm believers in our own 2 feet, which is why we like Epcot resorts because you can walk to Epcot and DHS for early rope drop. I was worried about timing with Skyliner, especially for DHS days considering we would have to transfer at Caribbean Beach Resort. But the Riviera Skyliner opened early enough that we could take a gondola to Caribbean Beach before they started up, so we were never "behind" or waiting to catch a Skyliner when we got off to transfer. We were easily able to arrive at DHS to be first in line at one of the entry turnstiles. In fact, we never really waited longer than 2 minutes to catch a gondola even at park closing on busy days. One of our favorite things was watching Harmonious at the end of the day on the Skyliner from DHS or Epcot to Riviera. Super magical!

MOBILE ORDER: This was our first time using mobile order and we loved it. We had no trouble getting order times and nearly every time we clicked the "we're here" button, the "your order is ready" alert came almost instantaneously. We used this at Sleepy Hollow, Woody's Lunchbox, Ronto Roasters, Docking Bay 7, and Primo Piatto at Riviera. (Also, why did we never try Ronto Roasters before? They are a sleeper hit!)

GENIE+ AND ILL$: While we miss the old days of FP+ we had used MaxPass before and found it easy to adjust to using G+. Without it during the very crowded week we were there, we would not have done all we wanted to do. In general, our touring style is set up to avoid crowded mid-day times in the park because we don't like waiting in lines. Using rope drop, virtual queue, a few ILL$ and G+ we were able to do everything we wanted with our longest wait being 30 minutes to ride TSMM one morning (after failing rope drop because ROTR and TOT both broke down after we were at the front of the line.) We actually welcomed the indoor line for TSMM because it was pouring rain.

I found it most useful for DHS and MK, but can also be useful if hopping to or from AK or Epcot if you stack for arrival at the 2nd park.

There is a little learning curve with using the G+ reservation system that you really can't do until you are booking your first selection. I recommend playing with the app before you arrive. Refreshing immediately on the second the universal clock hits 7am yielded the best results. We had different members of our party on their phones all at once to get different things. Eg: 1 getting ILL$, one getting G+, one getting virtual queue. With this method we were able to get boarding group 1 twice on Remy (teenagers both times got that!) Our choice of return time for ILL$ and even a 9:40 return time for Slinky (also the teenager).

A FEW TIPS & WARNINGS: Make sure you click ALL the way through when securing ILL$. One morning I thought I had snagged FOP for our group, only to realize half an hour later that even though I had signed into my account, seen the $ total and confirmed time, I had not hit the final "next" button and my reservation was incomplete. By the time I realized my error, that reservation had been released. I tried refreshing, but it was too late. Lesson learned the hard way.

I ascribe my failure there to the fact that I was actively rope-dropping the park with my son that morning so hubby & daughter were sleeping in. The CMs at the park opening generally give you about 3 minutes after 7am to do reservations before they let the floodgates open. But it's very nerve-wracking trying to rope drop AND get reservations at the same time. I thought I had got the reservation, so switched my attention the the hoarde that was about to trample me if I did not move along. So at least my son and I got to ride FOP for rope drop, but hubby & daughter missed out since I didn't get the ILL$. Luckily, we were able to purchase it a different day in the afternoon, so they did get to go once.

Last tip: REFRESHING!

On my first try to buy a ROTR ILL$, I tried for an early time and it was already gone. Instead of searching further out, I tried the next earliest and then it was out...you see the pattern. Within 3 tries for a new time, the ressies were gone. I was crushed, but remembered the 10-minute refresh phenomenon I had learned on this board. At 7:10, I refreshed again and was able to score a morning return for ROTR. There were several times available. So if you miss the first time, try again in 10 minutes, 20 minutes.

Refreshing G+ can also be rewarding, especially in morning and afternoon. It usually only took a few minutes, but I was usually able to get an earlier return time for most rides for 4 people. This is really useful when trying to maintain a rolling G+ or when stacking for later use. I feel like we got our money's worth from G+ most days. And like I said earlier, we pretty much only did rides if they were G+, ILL$, or short rope drop AM standby lines.

DINING & ADRs: These were hard to come by this time around, even with a 7-night stay, but I eventually managed to get everything we wanted, mostly by using Mousekepros. Having reservations was usually very smooth. We generally ate breakfast in our room (groceries delivered by Kevin the Orlando Butler, A+ check him our if you need groceries delivered) and then ate 1-2 sit down meals per day. Most of the time we were seated instantly, with the exception of The Crepery (30 minute wait), Be Our Guest (30 minute wait), Yak & Yeti (10 minute wait), Cinderella's Royal Table (30 minute wait) and Hollywood Brown Derby (15 minute wait). We also ate at Nine Dragons, Rose & Crown Fireworks package, Space 220 lunch dining room, Biergarten Candlelight package, Teppan Edo, Le Cellier, Topolinos (dinner and breakfast). I will note that the servers on most of the restaurants seemed overworked, holding down a lot of tables, and multi-tasking. They were all still very cordial and friendly. In fact, I don't think we encountered any rude CMs at all. Food was good all around. We really enjoyed our dining experience.

EARLY ENTRY HOURS: I am so glad they changed early entry to be one hour instead of half hour during the busy season. It made a real difference in how many rides we could squeeze in before crowds arrived. On Christmas Day at DHS we were able to ride standby on ROTR, MFSR, MMRR, RnR, ToT, TSMM all before our first G+ of Slinky at 9:40. I will say that if you are staying off property, rope drop may no longer be an effective strategy. Early entry across all 4 parks every day means that the early crowd is more spread out (as opposed to when it was only Early Entry at one park per day) which is good for resort guests who are rope-dropping however, it also means that off-site guests can never get ahead of the crowd.

EXTENDED EVENING HOURS: Seeing as we stayed at a Deluxe resort, I was pleased with this offering. We had it at Epcot on the 20th, which was the horrible rainy day. Despite the rain, during the extra time we were able to ride Soarin and Frozen walk-on. Test Track was closed because of rain. We were wet and tired, so didn't stay the whole time, but that was the only time we managed to actually ride Soarin, despite having 2 G+ for it on different days (had to bail for ADRs both times because the G+ line was taking way too long.) Our Magic Kingdom late night was supposed to be the 23rd, but at the last minute they scrapped the Deluxe hours and just extended the regular park hours until 11. That was fine, since we were still able to pull and stack G+ for that evening and got a ton of rides in without waiting anyway.

HARMONIOUS: The show, itself, is fine. We enjoyed the line-up of songs and the fireworks and energy, but found that the whole giant-tacos-stargate-with-tentacles contraption didn't really add enough amazingness to the show to justify polluting the landscape and ruining the view across the World Showcase. Honestly, the show is carried by the music and fireworks, not by the odd projections. I got more "feels" just feeling the music boom in my chest while walking through World Showcase during the show than by actually seeing the projections.

LIGHT SABER EXPERIENCE: We hadn't planned to do this, so had not made reservations, but when we arrived, my husband seemed interested whenever he saw people carrying around their light sabers. I knew it was probably a lost cause, but I secretly started checking availability every now and then for cancelations. It took a few days, but I eventually scored a reservation for 2 on Christmas day. It was a great surprise for hubby & son (and daughter and I got to go along as their guests). The actor who did the ceremony was fantastic and we all really enjoyed the experience. Definitely recommend.

THE MAGIC: Well, despite things feeling like Disney was still a bit understaffed and let a few too many people back too early, we still felt the magic. The frequency of ride break-downs was our biggest complaint. But our family still had a really good time. This was all the more apparent after we left Disney and headed for 4 days at Universal. Even with the Express Pass (we stayed at Portofino Bay, which includes it as a perk) we just weren't as enchanted by the offerings and didn't feel the need to repeat many of the rides. All the Harry Potter areas were wall-to-wall people from morning until night. Forget trying to cast spells or even just take in the atmosphere. Sadly, we avoided going to those areas, even though they are favorites. (Not going to lie, I enjoyed Hagrid's motorbikes more than ROTR, and Velocicoaster is a seriously fun coaster, but we left Universal feeling a little hollow.) I don't know exactly what it is, but maybe it's just the little things like how Disney CM's smile and wave to you when you enter or exit the parks...somehow, the magic is still there. ♥
Thanks for the great report! You said you waited 30 minutes to be seated at La Creperie - what time of day was that? We have an early ADR for lunch in a couple of weeks and just want to be prepared. Thanks.

We flew back to NYC on Monday, after a fantastic 10 day trip !!

Highlights--- NYE @ Epcot was a blast---
Loved Remy---
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, Space 220 !!! Yes, its pricey, but so glad we went !!

(Btw, again, (as far as the holiday spirit) SeaWorld won !! Christmas at SW is truly amazing !!!

Biggest gripe--- When did Disney (or maybe they always did) switch the customer service from hotel room? It goes to a "central station" now? What happened to the days of calling the front desk from your room, and actually getting... the front desk?

Example--- when we checked in, I needed to have a Garden Grocer delivery sent to our room--- went to bell services--- they took down the room number, and said the delivery would be "shortly"--- an hour later, nothing. Tried calling bell services, and the call went to a central system, and they asked what hotel we were staying at, and our room number--- this happened 6 times !!! They kept transferring me, and a different person would answer and ask the same questions. Finally, I pleaded with the last CM, and she called a manager, and around 30 minutes later the delivery was made.

On our checkout day, the same thing happened when I called for luggage assistance- is this something new?

Thanks for the great report! You said you waited 30 minutes to be seated at La Creperie - what time of day was that? We have an early ADR for lunch in a couple of weeks and just want to be prepared. Thanks.
I think you may be okay with an earlier reservation. Ours was for 8:30pm , and they were quite behind.

Not sure if anyone cares or if it makes sense to anyone, but here is what our New Years Eve looked like. I got the first LL at 7 AM and then the others at the exact minute I could later in the day. It is 4 of us. Kids are 21 and 17. They were a big help to navigate Genie +.

New Year’s Eve 2021
Magic Kingdom
Arrived at 11:30
Buzz Lightyear - LL
TTA
Carousel of Progress
Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern
Little Mermaid - LL
Haunted Mansion - LL
Space Mountain - LL
Splash-LL
Pirates - LL
Tiki Room
Monster’s Inc. - LL
Left MK at 5:55 to wilderness lodge
Back to MK 8:00
Jungle Cruise - LL
Gaston’s Tavern
TTA
Big Thunder - LL
Haunted mansion
Small world-LL
New Years fireworks 11:50
Peter Pan - LL
Carousel
Returned at 2

Not sure if anyone cares or if it makes sense to anyone, but here is what our New Years Eve looked like. I got the first LL at 7 AM and then the others at the exact minute I could later in the day. It is 4 of us. Kids are 21 and 17. They were a big help to navigate Genie +.

New Year’s Eve 2021
Magic Kingdom
Arrived at 11:30
Buzz Lightyear - LL
TTA
Carousel of Progress
Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern
Little Mermaid - LL
Haunted Mansion - LL
Space Mountain - LL
Splash-LL
Pirates - LL
Tiki Room
Monster’s Inc. - LL
Left MK at 5:55 to wilderness lodge
Back to MK 8:00
Jungle Cruise - LL
Gaston’s Tavern
TTA
Big Thunder - LL
Haunted mansion
Small world-LL
New Years fireworks 11:50
Peter Pan - LL
Carousel
Returned at 2
Wow!!! 11 LLs! Successful day for sure!!

Quick recap and a few opinions- Trip was 12/29 thru 1/4 we stayed at POFQ

Hotel was great- as were the CM's. We got fresh towels and garbage emptied every other day - which was fine for us (Will this be the 'new' normal for hotels- Im sad of the employees if it is)

We had 6 day park hoppers, and were game to try Genie+ for our first full day in the park which was MK. I read up on Genie + and thought I had a good handle on it- but I totally failed on the first day. the whole 2 hour wait, or after you use the current LL was something I could not wrap my head around. After chatting with a wonderfully nice CM at Guest relations - we had a much better understanding for our next 2 days.

One frustrating part- we had a LL for TOT at 10:45AM- we walked over to the ride- the stand by line was at 120- the LL return line was out into the middle of Sunset Blvd- over 1 hr long. I have to say that really chapped my cracker- if I wasnt paying for it- I might have not been so crabby-

It was crowded- people everywhere and lots of them. Most were complying with masks indoors. A few 'entitled' people would not were masks on transportation- when they couldnt be seen by a CM, but other than that most were playing by the rules. The stand by lines were long (I've been to NYE in years past and never say the Grand Fiesta Tour at a 45 minute wait!)- I think Genie+ had alot to do with that-

I did pay for LL+ ROTR- and felt it was worth it- its an amazing immersive ride - and I would not have gotten to ride it without it (wait times were 3 hrs)

The Buses- we had only one issue with the buses which was from POFQ to DHS- we missed EMH because the bus took 45 minutes to get to the hotel. Apparently it was just this route because we waited at least 30 minutes for a bus at DHS- we chatted with others at the resort and they all experienced the same wait.

I was going to write a long negative opinion of Genie+ - but Ill leave it at I resent having to pay for it- and find it cumbersome and not the least bit user friendly- and I think that is on purpose. I love going to WDW- but maybe I just need a break.

This board -as always - has been a wealth of information and its greatly appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter