HHI - Dolphins

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
A question - which is best, booking your Dolphin boat trip thru HHI resort or do it on your own thru an outside company? I've read posts that talk about doing both, but don't know which is best. Also, should you book the trip before you arrive at HHI or wait? This is something DW and myself would like to do in August when we're down at HHI.

Also, anyone who has been down at HHI last few weeks, did they do the Shrimp Boil and if so where was it, how much did it cost and do you need to worry about it being too many people to get a reservation?

Thanks.

We prefer the dolphin trip out of the Disney resort, because it's a small boat -- holds a maximum of 6 guests, I believe. You get a much more personalized trip and get closer to the dolphins than on the larger boats. Well worth a few extra $$ it may cost! If there are only two of you, you may get put with another small group, but you might luck out and have the boat to yourselves!

When we were in HH in April, they had just started doing the shrimp boil at the beach house instead of Shadow's Point. It was sold out when we were there, so we didn't get a chance to try it. :sad2: I don't remember the exact cost. Sorry. :confused3 They now allow you to make reservations in advance, so if it's something you're sure you want to do, call the resort now and sign up!

Thanks. I just called and made ressies for the Shrimp Boil for Thursday, August 4. Talked to a very, very nice lady at the front desk. She ended by saying "we can't wait to welcome you home when you check in on July 31st". Don't you just love DVC?

If you take the Daufuskie Island excursion from the Disney resort, you will get to see the dolphins as well as spend time on the beautiful secluded beech on Daufuskie Island. If you do this tour, you won't need to do the dolphin tour. It costs more, but we think you get a lot more for your money.

In April, Shrimp Boil also known by its official name..."Edmund's Family Low Country Boil"... ran $24.95 per adult and $8.95 for 3-12year olds. It was held at the Beach house then, but most likely at the main resort in high season.

Agin, In april it was on Tuesdays from 5:30 - 7:30. In high season I beleive it is still Tuesday, though it may be a bit later. Tuesday is "All-American Tuesday" and features fireworks and pool games.

Defintely book the smaller dolphin cruise direct from ther resort. The small boat is a big plus. It's sort of funny out on the water when you pull right up to a dolphin in your small boat and some huge boat with 300 people is nearby with the passangers clinging 4-deep at the railing holding video cameras up over their heads to try and get a peek. (You can almost hear them saying Look honey that small gray thing might be a dolphin)

Book Wednesday's if you are a member and get an extra 10% off. Booking the same service independently will be the same price, give or take a buck.

aHHEastercruisevagabond.jpg

We went on the dolphin cruise through Disney over Easter. We took this picture from our boat, and I think it really shows why the small boat is better!

Wow, thanks for the photo. We will definitely go on the smaller boat tour.

Question - do you tip the person who gives the Dolphin tour?

WolfpackFan said:
do you tip the person who gives the Dolphin tour?
We do, couple of bucks. Not sure if it is expected, but we receive such excellent service, above and beyond sort of service, I feel compelled.

Just wanted to mention that if this is your first HH trip, and you really want to see Dolphins, keep your eyes peeled around the resort. We used to see them sometimes right in back of the main lodge near sunset. They were churning up the water (don't remember why, something to do with feeding). Also, I've seen them after dark on the marina side. Although I've never seen them from my balcony, I know others have. I've done the Dolphin tour, but to me, seeing them around the resort was soo much more exciting!

Here's a plug for the Vagaband though---

if you have kids, the Vag. hosts a special kids' dolphin cruise on Thurs. and Frid. morning out of Harbour Town. Not only do you see dolphins (last time we saw dolphin and sharks), but Greg Russell is on board, singing, telling stories, and interacting with the kids. Also available are bathrooms and cold drinks for purchase. If you have younger ones, this activity might be more fun and enjoyable. Thurs. morning is less crowded than Fri. morning, when the daycamp children take the cruise.

Another great dolphin cruise is on the sailboat Stars and Stripes. My recommendation is the sunset cruise--gorgeous! And nothing like being under wind power instead of a motor. It's a smaller, more intimate cruise, I'd guess max. 15 people.

HTH!

Anyone whose read anything I've ever posted about dolphin tours/beach combing will know that we love to do our tours with Capt. Scott arranged through Disney. We've had awesome, experiences and consider Scott a friend. Scott has gone above and beyond many times. With that being said, I just thought of another thing after reading this:

dis-happy said:
if you have kids, the Vag. hosts a special kids' dolphin cruise on Thurs. and Frid. morning out of Harbour Town. Not only do you see dolphins (last time we saw dolphin and sharks), but Greg Russell is on board, singing, telling stories, and interacting with the kids. Also available are bathrooms and cold drinks for purchase. If you have younger ones, this activity might be more fun and enjoyable. Thurs. morning is less crowded than Fri. morning, when the daycamp children take the cruise.

Shannon Tanner who performs over at Shelter Cove does a early morning boating outing right out of Shelter Cove. Seeing Shannon's show many times, I would venture to guess that he has a lot of interaction with the kids on board.

Here's some info I copied from Shannon Tanners website for anyone who may be interested:
SHANNON TANNER'S WONDERFUL WACKY WIZZLE CRUISE!! 8:30am - 11am (June through August) Join me for the most entertaining boat tour in Hilton Head. We will look for dolphins and other low country critters, learn about the island, and just have a lot of fun. Our cruise always ends with a treasure hunt at Shelter Cove Harbour. For information call Captain Mark at Adventure Cruises: (843) 785-4558.

WolfpackFan said:
Question - do you tip the person who gives the Dolphin tour?
We had the boat to ourselves so had a very personalized tour. We tipped $20.

We wanted to go on a tour but never made it, but we did see Dolphins when we were walking on the beach!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter