HHI trip report: first DVC stay ever

bethyg

Mouseketeer
We have been looking forward to this "relaxing" vacation for months. DS3 has been asking daily for months when were were going to Hilton Head. Our stay was 5/27-6/2 1 BR on cash. This was a trial-run to see what a DVC resort was like.
What we loved:
* Security Gates. Was like entering Fort Knox at both the main resort and beach house. I learned quickly not to go anywhere without the room key! Can't get back into the beach house without it!
* Lifeguards. Had no idea DVC resorts had lifeguards! Mom's stress relief!
* Pool stuff: life-vests for the pool, etc...... are provided.
* Activities: Tons of things for DS12 and DS3 to do! Memorial day pool party was a blast. Unbirthday party, bunny hunts with Shadow, Fishing excursions with 7 sharks caught and a hammerhead being mounted and sent home!
*Washer and dryers. Great for a mom! Have stayed at other places and had to wait (aka: fight) for a working W/D along with a pocket full of quarters, while waiting for your clothes for hours (as you would never dare to leave your clothes unattended! ) W/D for studios are free in each building.
* Rainy-day stuff. What a plus to go down to the lodge and check out free puzzles and board games! DVD players in every room. Free book exchange/check-out, and DVD rentals (free to DVC......$5 guests, but we brought our own DVD's from home). No place but Disney!
* Relaxing. Early morning reading on the deck, sitting around the pool while the kids have a blast (no worries with lifeguards present).
DH quote: "It's quiet. The balcony marsh view was incredible. Serene. Very tranquil. The soft, warm, soothing breeze was unforgettable".
*Plain clothes security: Had no idea of the security plus plain clothes security that constantly are on duty, patrolling the resort. Couldn't have felt safer if I was literally in Fort Knox. Never worried about DS12 going out alone on property. The resort is literally an island in the middle of Shelter Cove. Only way on/off is over the Disney-owned bridge.
* More golf courses than restaurants for DH.
* Huge rooms, huge decks and a jacuzzi tub to die for!
*Fishing pier: tons of crabs.....chicken necks are a must.
* BBQ grills: great way to save money. The aroma is heavenly and charcoal is cheap.
* full size kitchen: Had all meals (and snacks) but 2 in the room. Easy to clean up. Nothing better than hot choc-chip cookies on a rainy day while watching a movie.
*freedom for a 12 year old. He loved having his own key and tooling around the resort without mom and dad. He played pool, went swimming in the pool and crabbing and met tons of new friends. Said it was the best vacation ever and compared it equally to our past WDW trips.
*elevators and indoor parking: loved being lazy! We stayed in the lodge and quick easy access was too good!
*small and quaint: It is not a huge resort. Quick 2 minute stroll to the pool from the lodge. The resort was booked and didn't feel over-crowded at all.
*staff. Couldn't be nicer! Had many a conversation with front desk clerks late in the evening when DH and kids asleep. Great people! FYI: they confirmed that Hawaii is a planned future DVC location!
*family-atmosphere: DH and I agree that this DVC experience was totally more than we ever expected. Friendly DVC members and well-behaved children. Every one seemed to watch out for each other, kids shared toys in the pool and quickly made friends. Was like Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons all rolled up into one nice package, Disney-style.

Wishes:
*recycle bins in each building. (Since we were guests, we had daily T & T service). I didn't see any recycle bins in the main lodge, and we seperated our recycling from regular trash, so I don't know if it all gets piled together by mousekeeping. If trash service cost to disney is billed per pound (like hospitals), this would be a huge chunk of change. Also, would be environmentally friendly and not a huge task to create some sort of drop-off area themed naturally to the resort.Think of the daily recycling total between milk jugs, 2 liter bottles, beer bottles, cans, etc........
*points were cheaper and we could go more often! Several DVC members reported Thanksgiving and Christmas are unbelieveable! They reported Thanksgiving dinners being pre-ordered and prepared by Disney with all the fixings. Heavenly. Simply heavenly.

DH has now experienced Disney, DVC-style, and is ordering me to buy points and has now proclaimed that HHI will be a yearly stop for us! Since it is about a 10 hour drive for us, it's much easier than a 2 day drive to WDW.

Thanks to all for wonderful advice and previous trip reports! Proud future-DVC owner signing out! :wizard:

WOW!!! What a GREAT trip report....Glad that you all had such a wonderful time. I am looking forward to our first trip to HH in August and can't wait to go. We love our DVC, so glad that we bought it......you'll be glad too!:banana: :rotfl: :banana: :rotfl: :banana: :rotfl: :banana: :rotfl:

Wow, great trip report. We leave tomorrow for our first HHI stay and I am looking forward to it even more after reading your report. :sunny:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!!! I was just there last week & love it too. Can't wait to go again!

Ms. Sparrow aka Allison

What a wonderful thumbs up for HHI :love: :sunny: Sounds like you had a memorable trip. Can't wait to go next year for the first time :hourglass

Thanks for the great report :sunny: I would love to go there sometime (DH already has with a golfing buddy).

Hawaii?? Wow!

Hope you won't be disappointed by the WDW DVC resorts. :earsboy: If you ever make it down there.

Glad to hear they have finally fixed the gates. During our trip in April they were in the upright position the whole week.

Have they finally found a naturalist? Having one was sorely missed during our stay, all the free nature programs were not happening. Also, was Chef Gordon doing A Private Affair or any food events while you were there?

Now that was a GREAT trip report! I am surprised that not many have jumped on the Hawaii DVC info. You ought to start a separate thread for that and sit back and watch the reaction!

Thanks for the great report! We feel the same way about HHI, which is why most of our points are there. We leave a week from today for our annual week at HH and can't wait to get there.

I've often wondered about the recycling too. There's a small plastic bag under the sink inside the dish drainer with a card that says it's for recyclables, but it's a really small bag. We end up using some of the regular trash bags for our recyclables, but we've never seen a separate container for them inside the trash area.

scootersmom said:
Thanks for the great report! We feel the same way about HHI, which is why most of our points are there. We leave a week from today for our annual week at HH and can't wait to get there.

I've often wondered about the recycling too. There's a small plastic bag under the sink inside the dish drainer with a card that says it's for recyclables, but it's a really small bag. We end up using some of the regular trash bags for our recyclables, but we've never seen a separate container for them inside the trash area.

Great report, I agree! Can't wait to get there!

FWIW...there were separate cans for trash & recycling in the rooms (1BR) at Vero...and downstairs in the parking deck. Interesting that they don't do this at HH.

Thanks for the great report. We're also lovers of HH. Did your DH get to sample any of the golf courses? Mine is on a mission to play every one he can. We also stay in a 1 BR. Which one did you have? I'm hoping we can get there for our first Thanksgiving at HHI next year.

BethyG-

Your HH trip sounded wonderful!! Glad it lived up to your expectations. BTW - our trip this past March over Easter was LOW LOW points. And really nice weather!! Try it over Spring Break sometime!

And, okay, I have to bite - what were the specifics of the Hawaii DVC rumor??

Glad you enjoyed your visit to HH!!!!

FWIW, I don't think there is much recycling on HHI, period. We stay the summer in a villa in Sea Pines and the trash pick up doesn't have separate recycling. After awhile, I get a bit of a decadent thrill from tossing aluminum cans and newspapers into the regualar garbage can!

To reply to all posts:
No naturalist that I'm aware of. Since this was our first visit, I don't feel I had the best grasp of all activities. The only scheduled activities that involved nature was Shadow's bunny hunt (which was rained out). No private affairs or special cooking classes. Talked to a few long-time HH DVC'ers who mentioned they were really bummed. It sounded like from them that perhaps it would resume during the busy Summer season (July & Aug?).

A few CM's who worked the front desk said in some recent classes (they were new hires) they were told of 3 planned new DVC resorts. Hawaii was a confirmed yes (don't know which island), Contemporary was a weak yes (one said yes, one said no, one wasn't sure). There was the 3rd resort, but none of them could remember where it was planned. I've heard Colorado from other reports since Disney already has some properties there, but never confirmed.

We stayed in the lodge, room 1131. I could not find any type of recycling containers in that building. I'd really love to head there for thanksgiving. Was told by others the thanksgiving dinner prepared on site (purchased for around $110 turkey and all the trimmings and dessert) was the absolute best!Serves around 8, and had leftovers for days! (Yum, will need to go get a snack).

Thanks to all for the great advice and helpful tips! WDW will always be my favorite, and we're enjoying debating which DVC to stay in our next trip to FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter