Hi!!

cobbler

DIS Veteran
Just came back from a pretty darn good vacation and hubby and I just purchased ourselves into SSR!! Pretty excited :)

So I may be hanging around here now since I have a vested interest in doing so :) ha ha.

Anywho, any tips, info or any little expert advice anyone wants to share would be most appreciated!

cobbler said:
Anywho, any tips, info or any little expert advice anyone wants to share would be most appreciated!

Welcome to the club!

The best advise would be to read this and the DVC Planning forums - its just full of useful tips, and ask questions - there are plenty of helpful folks you hang out here.

Welcome home!!! congratulations!!!

love DVC have owned since 93 and no regrets.

that can not be say about many things in life. :sunny:

Thanks everyone. I do have some questions if you all don't mind taking a stab at answering for me.

If I ever were to want to add on points (I own 160), I hear they do them in increments of 25 yes?? or is it a minimum of 25 (if bought through Disney)??

Also I hear that some people own large points at one resort (say SSR) and small points at another resort (say WL) and our guide mentioned something to me that you can book the 11 month window at WL but not for all the points you own total?? Can someone explain that to me because I am slightly confused on that one.

Congratulations and welcome to the DVC boards. As a new owner myself, I can tell you this is a great place to hang out. I've learned a lot here. There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here!

As far as tips, here are a couple:

1. Just spend some time here and the DVC Planning Forum reading lots and lots of posts. Just about everything you could think of asking about DVC has probably been asked at some point in the past couple of weeks or months.

2. There is a great free software program you can download to plan your DVC trips. It was written by "Caskbill" here on the DVC boards. It's easy to use (it even has a tutorial to get you started) and makes it a breeze to see how many points you would need for a trip you want to make. Just do a search for posts by "Caskbill". He includes a link to his free software in the signature of his posts. (I just looked it up and www.caskbill.com will take you to the correct site.)

3. "vascubabuy", another DVC board contributor, has put together a great website of DVC information. Again, the link to his site is in the signature of all of his posts.

Again, congratulations!!

cobbler said:
If I ever were to want to add on points (I own 160), I hear they do them in increments of 25 yes?? or is it a minimum of 25 (if bought through Disney)??
Minimum add-on is 25 points direct from Disney. I suspect it's the same through resale since existing contracts cannot be split up so the smallest possible resale contract would also be 25 points. If you are buying from Disney and want to finance the add-on, you must buy at least 50 points. Your add-on can be any number of points you want, you could purchase 37 points for example if that turns out to be the right number for you.

Also I hear that some people own large points at one resort (say SSR) and small points at another resort (say WL) and our guide mentioned something to me that you can book the 11 month window at WL but not for all the points you own total?? Can someone explain that to me because I am slightly confused on that one.
If you want to book at the 11-month window, you can only use points from that particular resort. So let's say you owned 50 points at VWL and 160 at SSR. You cannot combine your SSR points and your VWL points and use all 210 points to book something at VWL at the 11-month window. However, you could bank and borrow your 50 VWL points so that you would have a total of 150 VWL points at the 11-month window every 3 years, or 100 points every 2 years.

If you are reserving something at 7 months or later, then points are points and you could combine SSR points and VWL points to book wherever you would like using whatever points you want to use.

Hope that helps!

cobbler said:
Thanks everyone. I do have some questions if you all don't mind taking a stab at answering for me.

If I ever were to want to add on points (I own 160), I hear they do them in increments of 25 yes?? or is it a minimum of 25 (if bought through Disney)??I believe 25 is the minimum add-on, but you can add-on more if you choose.

Also I hear that some people own large points at one resort (say SSR) and small points at another resort (say WL) and our guide mentioned something to me that you can book the 11 month window at WL but not for all the points you own total?? Can someone explain that to me because I am slightly confused on that one.As an example, if you have 100 points at VWL & 50 points at BCV, then you can book @ 11 months at VWL for up to 100 points worth of accomodations or at BCV for up to 50 points worth of accomodations, but you cannot book at one or the other for 150 points worth of acomodations.
Hopefully, this helps. And welcome home!! DH & I have owned since 1997 and still think it's one of the best purchases we ever made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter