High anxiety about upcoming trip

jknc

people person
Let me preface that we’ve been to WDW many times but never DL.

We were just @ WDW in mid-February and this is the source of my anxiety.

It was the worst of our trips. Genie, the lines, the ride breakdowns, the people. It was just exhausting.

We have 6 nights booked for early June @ DL Hotel w/ 5 days of hoppers.

Tell me we’re gonna have a good time and my money is being well spent, please.

I had a great time with just Genie+ and parkhoppers last week for 3 days.

It wasn't clear if you are going to get genie+.

I believe I was "lucky" in that the days I happen to go on were all 5 or 6 out of 10 on touringplans (the data after the fact). I was expecting 8 or 9, so the fact that it was less busy was great. However, if the park is closer to an 8 or 9, then you may have a worse experience if your expectations are too high.

If you have the ability to rope drop (or stay until closing), and are able/willing to go back to your hotel during the busier times of the day (1-4pm), you should have a better time.

Note that I have never spent more than 3 days in the parks at a time, but others have. 5 days should allow you to enjoy your time.

I think if you were going for only 2 to 3 days, anxiety to get it all in and have a good time would be near impossible to combat. This is how I feel at WDW because there's so much to do, so many parks to visit, and getting to and from your hotel to parks is so time consuming.

I don't feel the same anxiety at Disneyland. You can be an under 10 minute walk to the gate if you choose. You can walk across the courtyard to go from one park to the next. It's an infinitely more walkable theme park. The sun can be a factor but it's not oppressive like Florida heat is.

I think the best idea going into the trip is to realize it won't be perfect but to have a plan to accomplish what you'd like to. Know that your best laid plans may not happen and be flexible. I think 5 days is plenty and will give you plenty of flexibility to have a great time.

We're doing 4 in June and I wish we had 5 now. Our plan the first day is ride everything we have to do or want to in DL minus Galaxy's Edge. We're going to use Touringplans to help create a plan combined with Disneyland Daily's great DL plan on using Genie+. Our 2nd day is California Adventure. We love that park but find that one day is usually enough. We use TP and DLD again for that too. Our 3rd day will be at DL and the plan is to start at Galaxy's Edge. The afternoon will be going to the items we didn't accomplish on day 1. Day 4 is just our lazy day. Take it easy, ride the train, ride the Main Street vehicles, wife and I are going to Trader Sam's. Our teens can go on their own and have a good time. Wife and I wanted a day where we could just relax and enjoy Disneyland for what it is.

Last edited:
We just left DLH yesterday. 03/26-03/29…4 hours in DL on 03/26, 8 hours in CA on 03/27, 6 hours in DL on 03/28, and 3 hours at DL on 03/29. We did everything we wanted to do, many rides twice, ate two sit down meals in the parks, shopped, and took time yesterday to watch the band and the Dapper Dans. We had G+ but not park hoppers. Felt quite relaxed. My kids even commented that the liked DL over WDW last June because we had so much time to relax and wander. DLR is so much smaller than WDW!

I had a great time with just Genie+ and parkhoppers last week for 3 days.

It wasn't clear if you are going to get genie+.

I believe I was "lucky" in that the days I happen to go on were all 5 or 6 out of 10 on touringplans (the data after the fact). I was expecting 8 or 9, so the fact that it was less busy was great. However, if the park is closer to an 8 or 9, then you may have a worse experience if your expectations are too high.

If you have the ability to rope drop (or stay until closing), and are able/willing to go back to your hotel during the busier times of the day (1-4pm), you should have a better time.

Note that I have never spent more than 3 days in the parks at a time, but others have. 5 days should allow you to enjoy your time.
Thank you. I don’t plan to get G+ each day.

Our kids know the routine that we need to be at the entrance an hour before opening.
I’m a touring plans subscriber, they have our days mostly at 6 w/ 1 @ 7.

What gives me anxiety is crowds will swell since nighttime shows are returning. Yeah, it’s great we get to experience the shows but in turn that brings more people IMO.

Im seriously considering cutting our 6 nights to 4, and take a drive to Yosemite instead.

Last edited:
I think if you were going for only 2 to 3 days, anxiety to get it all in and have a good time would be near impossible to combat. This is how I feel at WDW because there's so much to do, so many parks to visit, and getting to and from your hotel to parks is so time consuming.

I don't feel the same anxiety at Disneyland. You can be an under 10 minute walk to the gate if you choose. You can walk across the courtyard to go from one park to the next. It's an infinitely more walkable theme park. The sun can be a factor but it's not oppressive like Florida heat is.

I think the best idea going into the trip is to realize it won't be perfect but to have a plan to accomplish what you'd like to. Know that your best laid plans may not happen and be flexible. I think 5 days is plenty and will give you plenty of flexibility to have a great time.

We're doing 4 in June and I wish we had 5 now. Our plan the first day is ride everything we have to do or want to in DL minus Galaxy's Edge. We're going to use Touringplans to help create a plan combined with Disneyland Daily's great DL plan on using Genie+. Our 2nd day is California Adventure. We love that park but find that one day is usually enough. We use TP and DLD again for that too. Our 3rd day will be at DL and the plan is to start at Galaxy's Edge. The afternoon will be going to the items we didn't accomplish on day 1. Day 4 is just our lazy day. Take it easy, ride the train, ride the Main Street vehicles, wife and I are going to Trader Sam's. Our teens can go on their own and have a good time. Wife and I wanted a day where we could just relax and enjoy Disneyland for what it is.
Thanks. I’ve been watching the wait times and it seems manageable.
The reason I planned 5 days is to make it more relaxing but that relaxing comes at a price for room/tickets. You want to make sure you feel like you’re getting value for what you paid - that was missing from WDW last month.

You'll be fine. Disneyland isn't WDW, thank goodness. WDW is a mess right now. Disneyland is pretty great overall. You may have ride breakdowns, but there is SO much to do in a small space that you won't really miss out, just be prepared to go with the flow. 5 days is plenty to enjoy everything and have time to also enjoy the DLH experience.

Thanks. I’ve been watching the wait times and it seems manageable.
The reason I planned 5 days is to make it more relaxing but that relaxing comes at a price for room/tickets. You want to make sure you feel like you’re getting value for what you paid - that was missing from WDW last month.
I totally get that and this is exactly how I feel when I go to WDW, especially the money aspect. I think DLR is just such an easier park in general. My biggest anxiety is missing out on the ADRs as we would like to finally try Trader Sam's and Oga's and those are gone super quick.

You'll be fine. Disneyland isn't WDW, thank goodness. WDW is a mess right now. Disneyland is pretty great overall. You may have ride breakdowns, but there is SO much to do in a small space that you won't really miss out, just be prepared to go with the flow. 5 days is plenty to enjoy everything and have time to also enjoy the
I forgot to mention the Pirates closure has my hair turning grey.

Any ideas when it will reopen?

So, opinion in early June are the parks doable with 4 night, 4 day hoppers?

What gives me anxiety is crowds will swell since nighttime shows are returning. Yeah, it’s great we get to experience the shows but in turn that brings more people IMO.

This made me smile because we're going be arriving April 22nd (day one of nighttime shows returning, announced after we booked) and expect it to be a busier weekend. Current plan is to do park open for rides, break and attend the Dapper Day Expo once it gets busier, come back for dinner and catch the shows on Saturday... with the hope of seeing them from Main Street but possibly slipping over to Galaxy's Edge if the crowds are... well, are. Sunday is similar but with a hop over to DCA for a wine tasting and dinner before deciding whether to stay there for WOC or bounce back to to DL for another chance to see MSEP and the fireworks. We're sticking around for Tuesday-Thursday as well so can catch WOC during the weekdays and hopefully have a bit more time for rides.

In theory, I think we're good for the weekend... if the park is crazy busy we've got the Dapper Day Expo to enjoy and if the crowds are crazy for fireworks, a bit of shift and a shuffle over to in front of Small World or to Galaxy's Edge for an alternative viewing area. It's not a six page plan with flowcharts but feel like there's enough flexibility that it can roll with whatever the crowds are. <Crowds roll up their sleeves, "Challenge Accepted!">

In my opinion, crowds at Disneyland are better behaved than crowds at WDW. Genie lines should also be better in Disneyland as fewer guests buy it.

But ride breakdowns are quite rampant at Disneyland, especially at rope drop.

You should be fine. With 5 days that is plenty of time to do everything you want in terms of rides, shows food, and shopping. With 5 days if something is down temporarily (as in for the day, not down for weeks due to regularly scheduled maintence) you will probably able to see it another day. DL is far more laid back and relaxed than WDW.

Im seriously considering cutting our 6 nights to 4, and take a drive to Yosemite instead.
I’d stick with your original plan of 5-6 nights and being able to really enjoy the parks (and hotel, I love the DLhotel!) 2 days would not be enough time in Yosemite, and you’re adding potential stress to both sides of the trip to “do it all.”

The pace and ease at DL is SOOOOOOOO different than WDW. My sis and I are planning a WDW trip in October and I already have anxiety over it… my trip to DL in a couple weeks, no stress.

There is so much to soak up, that hits completely different than WDW. With 5 days you will be able to see all the nighttime entertainment at a leisurely pace and re-do whatever your heart desires.

ENJOY!!

I’d stick with your original plan of 5-6 nights and being able to really enjoy the parks (and hotel, I love the DLhotel!) 2 days would not be enough time in Yosemite, and you’re adding potential stress to both sides of the trip to “do it all.”

The pace and ease at DL is SOOOOOOOO different than WDW. My sis and I are planning a WDW trip in October and I already have anxiety over it… my trip to DL in a couple weeks, no stress.

There is so much to soak up, that hits completely different than WDW. With 5 days you will be able to see all the nighttime entertainment at a leisurely pace and re-do whatever your heart desires.

ENJOY!!
Plus, that's a lot of driving. I've done the drive from Monterey to Yosemite and it felt like it took an eternity. Anaheim to Yosemite seems even more of a burden. We at least had 4 days in Yosemite after that. I don't know if 2 days is worth it, honestly.

I understand where you're coming from. We are east coasters and usually do WDW, but we decided to head to DL this summer instead. We'll be visiting in mid-late August with 3 young kids including an infant. We'll be staying at the DLH. We switched in part because of how easy everything is to navigate in CA vs. FL. Plus the weather won't hold us back as much.

We will probably skip a lot of the thrill rides although we plan to do rider switch with a few like Splash Mtn, the Star Wars rides, Soarin, and RSR. I'm hoping that in 4 days with park hoppers we'll be able to get a lot done including a couple of nighttime shows. With little kids, we can't really wait in very long lines so I'm hoping between rope drop, buying ILL and genie+ we'll be able to get enough done. Fingers crossed!

We went to WDW for the first time in January. I was shocked when I looked afterward and they said our days were like 5s and 6s - it felt so crowded to me! So then I looked at our last DL trip (2018) and it was 8-10 the 3 days we were there. I am telling you, the 3 days we were at DL in 2018 seemed less crowded than the week we were at WDW in Jan 2022! I think a lot of it is because there is more to do in less space at DL.

All that to say, while it may be crowded, I do not think it will feel as bad as it does at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter