Hollywood Brown Derby

Sparrow'sLady

Mouseketeer
In all our visits to WDW, maybe around 30, we have never been to the Brown Derby. I want to try something new. How is the Filet Mignon? I have heard about the grapefruit cake for many years and feel it is past due.

Also want to get the salad as an appetizer and share it with my husband. I am guessing they have alternate dressings?

In all our visits to WDW, maybe around 30, we have never been to the Brown Derby. I want to try something new. How is the Filet Mignon? I have heard about the grapefruit cake for many years and feel it is past due.

Also want to get the salad as an appetizer and share it with my husband. I am guessing they have alternate dressings?
You don’t know what you’ve missed all this time🙂
It’s the one place we always lunch at when visiting HS.

Never had the filet mignon at any place in WDW but can’t imagine anyone messing it up. Very tender meat with little beef taste and whatever sides are served with it.
Grapefruit cake is very very worthy 💕
Have no idea if an alternative dressing is available for the Cobb salad but it’s definitely shareable.
Just a heads up. Over time we learned to forego the ADRs and sit at the lounge. Same menu, same price, just outside under patio umbrellas.
Have a good time.

Just ate there for dinner last night and it was a mixed bag. We had a 5:45 reservation and the place was packed and noisy; it was hard to hear our server. We requested a booth and luckily were able to get one despite being a party of 2. Server seemed nice at first and was mindful of special requests on our entrees but then he became scarce after ordering. My appetizer never showed up by the time the entrees arrived so that was removed from the bill. My filet mignon was ordered medium but came out well-done (gray inside). It wasn’t dried out thankfully but not as tender as it should’ve been; my husband’s was cooked medium as ordered. We never had steak knives brought to the table and had to wait well over 5 minutes after steaks delivered to catch waiter’s attention to get us the knives. His response was no apology (as with the missing appetizer… no apology, just a blank look when we told him it never arrived) but rather an expression of frustration and saying “Oh, they didn’t bring you the knives?” as if to point the finger at someone else. I had wanted a second cocktail when my first was finished but waiter was so scarce I didn’t bother. Wouldn’t return here again.

Just ate there for dinner last night and it was a mixed bag. We had a 5:45 reservation and the place was packed and noisy; it was hard to hear our server. We requested a booth and luckily were able to get one despite being a party of 2. Server seemed nice at first and was mindful of special requests on our entrees but then he became scarce after ordering. My appetizer never showed up by the time the entrees arrived so that was removed from the bill. My filet mignon was ordered medium but came out well-done (gray inside). It wasn’t dried out thankfully but not as tender as it should’ve been; my husband’s was cooked medium as ordered. We never had steak knives brought to the table and had to wait well over 5 minutes after steaks delivered to catch waiter’s attention to get us the knives. His response was no apology (as with the missing appetizer… no apology, just a blank look when we told him it never arrived) but rather an expression of frustration and saying “Oh, they didn’t bring you the knives?” as if to point the finger at someone else. I had wanted a second cocktail when my first was finished but waiter was so scarce I didn’t bother. Wouldn’t return here again.
Yikes! :(

I would have sent that Filet back. For that price, I would have it cooked correctly. I had to do that at Yachtsman at one point. Took them 3 steaks to get it right.

I am sorry you didn't have a great meal.

Last edited:
Just a heads up. Over time we learned to forego the ADRs and sit at the lounge. Same menu, same price, just outside under patio umbrellas.
Oooh, thanks for the tip!

I've been meaning to try this place as well. (I love Cobb salads, so I'll avoid the filet and try the grapefruit cake.)

Oh, they didn’t bring you the knives?” as if to point the finger at someone else
Actually was the responsibility of the busser. They set the table and add additional silverware if needed. Still, it’s not good form for the guest to notice anything missing from the table. Responsibility of the waiter to ensure his table partner is doing their job. One of the reasons waiter keeps the lion share of tips.

Actually was the responsibility of the busser. They set the table and add additional silverware if needed. Still, it’s not good form for the guest to notice anything missing from the table. Responsibility of the waiter to ensure his table partner is doing their job. One of the reasons waiter keeps the lion share of tips.
My point of mentioning it is that it’s not something that should be said in front of a guest. I don’t care whose responsibility it is so when brought to the server’s attention, they should just make sure it’s remedied not be letting me know who screwed up. That’s not being a team player. It made the waiter look bad.

My point of mentioning it is that it’s not something that should be said in front of a guest. I don’t care whose responsibility it is so when brought to the server’s attention, they should just make sure it’s remedied not be letting me know who screwed up. That’s not being a team player. It made the waiter look bad.
You did seem to care when you stated the waiter was trying to blame someone else but I can understand that you were just frustrated/angry by the entire situation; not a good look at all and certainly not why people go out for dinner.

Oooh, thanks for the tip!

I've been meaning to try this place as well. (I love Cobb salads, so I'll avoid the filet and try the grapefruit cake.)
While we also prefer the flexibility of the lounge and usually choose it over the restaurant, I will point out one possible downside. If you are eligible for a discount (AP or DVC for example) you will only get it if you eat inside the restaurant. Lounges do not offer those discounts.

While we also prefer the flexibility of the lounge and usually choose it over the restaurant, I will point out one possible downside. If you are eligible for a discount (AP or DVC for example) you will only get it if you eat inside the restaurant. Lounges do not offer those discounts.
Thanks!

I haven't had the filet specifically, but I've been a few times and the food has always been fantastic. Grapefruit cake and the grapefruit cake martini are both very good.

I would assume they have alternate dressings for the salad, but unless you're allergic I would try the original. Maybe get two dressings on the side, because they use a lot of it.

Thanks for the review. I will be there next week and am looking at the Cobb Salad and grapefruit cake. I would not be happy with that filet either.

Relative to alternate salad dressings, I don't know that they do and if they do it's very limited. I wish I could remember more but dined there just last month and someone in our party asked for a common salad dressing (maybe ranch?) and they didn't have it. I can't recall if there was an alternative or if they just accepted the standard dressing. Realize that's not fully helpful but would not go in thinking they have the range of dressings that most restaurants do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter