Home resort advantage IS important!!

TammyAlphabet

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Life Member - "excl
I tried to switch my SSR reservation for Dec 26-Dec 30 today at the seven month window and all other WDW resorts were sold out for studios for all four nights, with just a day or two for these dates at the different resorts. I waitlisted for all four nights at BWV, VWL and BCV, but I am not holding my breath....;)

This is especially true during the very popular times, such as the Xmas break. At other times of the year, it's somewhat less important and the 7-month window is enough. :goodvibes

We tried to get a studio or 1 bedroom at any WDW DVC for the last 2 nights of our trip (all other nights are at OKW Grand Villa - our home resort) - not one room open at any of them for Dec 3rd & 4th. We're waitlisted but not holding our breath. Glad we got those dates at 11 months at OKW.

WE are also waitlisted for Dec 5-10, we are booked at BCV our home resort, waitlisted for VWL. We bought where we want to stay but its nice to try others if possible

maybe it is time for DVC to get their special list going again.

this list was to be used at christmas Dec 24- Jan 1- for only stays in that time period.

you got on the list 24 months (might have been less) before you wanted it. the members were chosen by a lottery. you could get any resort (I think you could say which you wanted).

they closed this several years ago - not enough members were doing it.

this list was to be used at christmas Dec 24- Jan 1- for only stays in that time period.

you got on the list 24 months (might have been less) before you wanted it. the members were chosen by a lottery. you could get any resort (I think you could say which you wanted).

Sounds like a cool idea. Did you try it?

We've been members for 10 years and have never gone during Christmas. So it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me personaly if they have a lottery. But I would be a bit upset if I spent a bunch of money on BCV points to take my family during the holidays and a person from another resort won a lottery and bumped me out. This is why it is important to buy where you want to stay.

We've been members for 10 years and have never gone during Christmas. So it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me personaly if they have a lottery. But I would be a bit upset if I spent a bunch of money on BCV points to take my family during the holidays and a person from another resort won a lottery and bumped me out. This is why it is important to buy where you want to stay.

OMG would I be upset if this lottery system took place and I got bumped..... Especially after getting our large family started down the process.

We have been waitlisted several times and they have never come through:scared1: Our last time was this past January for the marathon. We had to pay because DVC was full.

Here is what we did this time instead of waitlisting.....We just decided to go 4th of July this year but DVC was full. We called again and it was full. We waited a week and now we have a room. I don't know what happened but we are very happy because I refused to pay again when I already pay for DVC.

Good luck with the waitlisting everyone!!!!

I am not sure the lottery worked quite as described. I think it was home resort first. However, there were only one or two resorts at the time anyway.

Sorry, I've never used the lottery. I was just commenting on the statement above. But I do seem to have recollections that you were allowed to choose any resort in the lottery. But since I've never been interested in going over Christmas, I never paid it too close attention.

I tried to switch my SSR reservation for Dec 26-Dec 30 today at the seven month window and all other WDW resorts were sold out for studios for all four nights, with just a day or two for these dates at the different resorts. I waitlisted for all four nights at BWV, VWL and BCV, but I am not holding my breath....;)

All I can say is "Duh!"

Honestly, did no one else read the caveats in our recent thread concerning "buy where you want to stay". Everyone agreed that is only true if you want to reserve a particularly scarce room type or popular time period. Easter and Christmas weeks are the definition of "peak time". Considering they require the highest points and studios are the lowest point value, of course they'd be booked solid. Expect those AKV concierge rooms to also be equally unbookable. The same may be said for handicapped studios and grand villas.

I remember the days of the lottery and never understood why someone who didn't own at my then only home resort of OKW could book in the lottery and stay there while I couldn't if my name didn't come up in the lottery for OKW. Personally, I don't think we should return to the lottery unless it is for me to compete against others who own points at the same home resort--wait, isn't that what we do now by calling 11 months out? I bought points at OKW then they had to tempt me with VWL and now I have AKV. I always book 11 months out especially for Thanksgiving through New Years. IF I can switch resorts at the 7 month window then I am pleased. However, if I cannot I am still pleased, I am staying in a DVC resort for the holidays!!:yay:

Buy where you want to stay!!

SimbaCub
VWL Thanksgiving 2007
VWL Week before Christmas 2007 with friends

I remember the days of the lottery and never understood why someone who didn't own at my then only home resort of OKW could book in the lottery and stay there while I couldn't if my name didn't come up in the lottery for OKW. Personally, I don't think we should return to the lottery unless it is for me to compete against others who own points at the same home resort--wait, isn't that what we do now by calling 11 months out? I bought points at OKW then they had to tempt me with VWL and now I have AKV. I always book 11 months out especially for Thanksgiving through New Years. IF I can switch resorts at the 7 month window then I am pleased. However, if I cannot I am still pleased, I am staying in a DVC resort for the holidays!!:yay:

Buy where you want to stay!!

SimbaCub
VWL Thanksgiving 2007
VWL Week before Christmas 2007 with friends

That's my game plan too, book 11 months out at Thanksgiving-New Years and Easter. I even booked 4 nights over MLK weekend at 11 months. If I feel like a bit of a gamble I'll waitlist the trip, at 7 months and see what pops up, but we are more than happy to stay at SSR or VB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter