Hotel/Resort Recommendations in Waikiki?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
We are looking to spend 2-3 nights in Waikiki before staying at Aulani for 7 nights. Does anyone have recommendations for Hotel or Resort on the beach in this area? We are clueless about Hawaii and just now starting to plan our vacation. I just booked 7 nights at Aulani for this July and I am so excited.

We are traveling with our 2 teenage sons 14/16 if that makes any difference.

Outrigger Reef Wakiki Beach. Right on the water and in the middle of it all. DH stayed there years ago and still raves about it to this day.

We stayed at the Marriott and it was a hotel. Now it did have a cool rooftop pool that we never used, but in general, it was just a place to sleep. There really aren't that many hotels ON the beach, as the beach isn't that big. I'd say Outrigger or Moana Surfrider if you WANT the crowds and the city right around you. If you don't, I'd recommend checking out the resort down by Diamond Head. Apologies, I don't remember the name. You'll have to google map it; its very near the giant old swimming pool. My co-worker stayed there last year and absolutely loved it. Huge rooms for less than we paid at the Marriott and nobody around. It's walking distance to the big park.

We also stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Beach. We loved it. As mentioned, it is directly across the street from the beach like many of the hotels are. It was a good price point for us and the rooms were recently renovated. It was very close to a Waikiki Trolley stop which we used, and also had a tour lobby which was great because we did two organized tours during our Waikiki stay (Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor). We also felt it was centrally located for walking to shops and restaurants. Directly across the street at the Aston there was a Wolfgang Puck Express, just like the one at Disney Springs, so we ate a couple quick meals there as well. And there was an ABC convenience store directly in front of the hotel.

We spent 3 nights in Waikiki and later 6 nights at Aulani. We opted not to spend a beach or pool day in Waikiki. First, there were very few hotel pools in Waikiki that are worthwhile IMO. And also because we found Waikiki beach to be very crowded and not so enjoyable. We used this time to do the tours, shopping, and "night life". Once we got to Aulani, we spent more time relaxing and seeing other parts of the island. This strategy worked well for us. I'll also caution about Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki - I almost booked it because it felt like more of a resort than the Marriott did. But after seeing it in person, it was a good walk to the heart of the strip so it didn't seem to be a great location.

We stayed at The Royal Hawaiian. It was a great location nestled between the Sheraton and Moana Surf Rider.

It was a really different experience the few days we were in Waikiki vs Ko Olina, like two totally different vacations.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is the largest resort in waikiki. If you like quiet and relaxing I would say go for Halekulani thought it is a little pricey. The westin royal hawaiian would be nice for some old world charm and historic hotel. Another nice hotel would be the sheraton waikiki with the infinity edge pool over looking the pacific ocean (although it is adults only). If you belong the hilton grand vacations club the hhv resort would be the best timeshare in waikiki.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter