• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotels for 5 with Handicapped access .

D L and K's Mom

<font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<
Does anyone know if there are any Disney Hotels that have rooms for 5 that are acomadate a wheelchair? Someone told me that if they have rooms for 5 that they have to offer rooms for 5 that are handicapped accessible? Is this true? Does this come under a law?? I am so naive. We are trying to go back to Disney in Aug after a dreadful trip this Dec. We stayed in the Dolphin but would like to try someplace new. WE may end up staying in the Dolphin again as they did give us room for 5. (2 adults, 2 children and one baby)

Look into the Contemporary. Be sure to get a tower room. the rooms are the largest in WDW, about 450 sq ft. They have two queen beds or one king and a day bed so you could sleep five. I really think the CR tower is the best if you use a wheelchair since you're only an elevator ride away from the monorail which accomodates wheelchairs better than any other Disney transportation. Don't get the garden view, which is actually a seperate building and some say it takes about as long to walk from the garden building into the CR to catch the monorail as it does to walk to the MK.

There are now five in my family and one wheelchair with an occupant ( me) who cannot transfer. We've stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge ( my favorite), Yacht Club, Beach Club Villas, Old Key West, Contemporary, Polynesian, Boardwalk Villas and have found the accomodations to be good at all but Yacht Club, with certain ones better than others due to the room layouts. Port Orleans Riverside can also sleep 5 in the bayou section but my kids are too big for the trundle bed now so we choose a deluxe resort. When only a few of us stay at WDW we've stayed at Coronado Springs ( best accessible moderate in my opinion) too and the All Stars. I've never tried CBR or POFQ but since there are accessible rooms at each resort, I'm assuming they would "work" as well. Wilderness Lodge has the worst bathrooms ( haven't yet tried Villas) so we'd never choose it again, but they only sleep 4 in the hotel section anyway. Which ever you choose, just be sure to let the reservations agent know of your special needs and any accomodations you need such as roll in shower vs. tub with rails, etc. and they'll assign you to an appropriate room. ---Kathy

Thank you for all the wonderful info. Last trip we stayed at the Dolphin and they ended up giving us 2 rooms (only charged us for one :) )because of a mix up with the handicapped room. The Dolphin was nice but we would like to try someplace newl Thanks again.

We had a reservation for 5 at Port Orleans Riverside last June. The accessible rooms did not accomodate the trundle bed (the bed height is lower), so they gave us a second adjoining room at no extra charge.

It was a very nice resport. Parking was close to our room and always available (unlike our recent stay at Pop Century). However, it was very unpleasant crossing the bridge to the main pool--very, very bumpy. I just read someone else's post on this and couldn't agree more. Still, it was a lovely resort.

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter