• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad are the flies in the parks?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
We're going the last week of June/first week of July. Just wondering, will we need insect repellant? Not sure what there is for seasonal flies etc... in Florida. I know up home we have blackflies and mosquitos. That said, I know often parks spray to keep the flies down, so is it even an issue?

I don't remember any flies or Mosquitos ever, even at the resorts. I wouldn't bother. If it's an aerosol spray, you can't fly with it, I thought. Also, try not to spray it on others. I always seem to get a face full of that nasty sunscreen spray.

More info... Integrated Pest Management. A program where Disney releases 250,000 beneficial insects onto the property each year. Their mission? To control harmful insects by doing what comes naturally -- they gobble them up.

Some friends I go down with every year spray themselves with bug spray each morning and I do not. At the end of the long day at Disney I have think I have only been bitten by one insect. I would say you can skip it, although I did walk through a big cloud of some type of flying insects at Epcot once, but they did not bite.

Disney has a world class pest control program.

DH and I were just taking about this because a local park has a huge bee and fly problem. All were saw were a few love bugs last week in Disney. I said they must have a wonderful pest control team.

Never see bugs in the park, but grassy areas of the resorts can have mosquitoes. I'm like candy to them so if no one else gets bitten I often do and I've had maybe one bite at WDW ever.

Never had a problem with bugs at Disney. Only time me or anyone in my family have been bitten by something was when we went to play mini golf.

I have never been bitten at Disney. The only bug I can recall seeing was a fLy at Pecos Bill. If you are going elsewhere ahead of/after your time at Disney, I would recommend packing some spray, though.

I would not bother with the bug spray. It's funny but I was just saying this morning at Disney I have never seen a bee nor a fly ever in our trips. I've seen a few beetles etc, but never mosquitoes, flies, or wasps/bees.
Oh and I've seen a few fluffy rabbits pixiedust:
On our first trip and our first day at the MK, my then 2 year old was obsessed with a bunny hopping around behind a fenced in grassy area to the left of the castle. So many things to see around him and he wanted to stand there and watch the bunny. We have about 100 pictures of that bunny :)

Never really thought about it, but I have never had any issues with bugs and mosquitoes typically LOVE me.

Returned from WDW two weeks ago. We have visited WDW many times in April - this trip I noticed many wasps at the resorts and Magic Kingdon in particular; my sister was stung and had to go to the first aid station. I also got bit up sitting outside at Rose & Crown one afternoon by a lovely misquito. Not sure if this was because of the abundance of rain Florida received before and during our trip? :confused3 With this being said I will be bringing bug spray on my next trip :goodvibes Have visited at least 20 times and this was our worse insect trip - so not the norm.

Personally speaking I don't find the flies to be a problem at all but maybe that's just me...

Signed, Buzzy the Fly, your Beach Club Resort guy

No bugs at WDW.
Except the "Bugs Life" at AK.
And they're fake.
Biting and stinging bugs are not allowed in by Park Policy.
Any such bugs caught in the Parks are summarily executed and their remains buried in unmarked graves in the surrounding swamp.

Seriously, we've never been bothered, bitten, or stung, by bugs at WDW. :teeth:

Idk if it's still an issue, but the seating along side the Yak & Yeti quick service location at least used to be swarming with bees. (We've never been stung, though.) I can't recall any other bug problems.

We're going the last week of June/first week of July. Just wondering, will we need insect repellant? Not sure what there is for seasonal flies etc... in Florida. I know up home we have blackflies and mosquitos. That said, I know often parks spray to keep the flies down, so is it even an issue?

I've never seen biting flies or mosquitoes IN the parks. However on our trip 2 weeks ago we were "attacked" every evening around dusk by biting flies at the Boardwalk Inn quiet swimming pool. We call them "deer flies" here in NC. If you have never been bitten by one consider yourself lucky. Feels like a bee sting. They did not come out during the day, only in the evening right before dark. They would basically drive us off because they are persistent and just won't leave you alone.

So my advice, I don't think you need it for the parks, but wouldn't hurt to pack some in case you find you need it at the resort or elsewhere.

I had never encountered a mosquito (or any type of biting bug) problem at WDW, until this past January. At POR we found the mosquitos came out to play every evening outside of our room door. Walking around the resort, we didn't have a problem. I'm not sure if there was something specific going on environmentally near our door that was attracting them. We were not near the water. We were by a parking lot, so go figure. We have seen enormous spiders in the trees and even building webs between our car and a tree we were parked next to. They are beautiful blue, orange, black, and yellow spiders that are bigger than a human hand. I know it sounds freaky, but hey...big spiders eat big mosquitoes.

DD was bitten by something on arrival day in MK and her leg swelled for the rest of the week...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter