How fast it all changed.

Your family is still in my thoughts and prayers every day, Rodeo. :hug:

Your Dis family supports you. Life sure threw you a curve ball

I'm glad you have everyone here for prayers and support. Sending pixie dust

Please know that I am praying to St. Joseph every day for your intentions and for a peaceful passing for your dear husband. Life sure throws us a curve ball and it is tough to have to sit by and watch. God bless you and yours on your journey.

Rodeo, your family is in my heart and on my mind today. I pray for peace and comfort for you all.

Thinking of you today. Praying you can all find your own peace and contentment during this difficult time.

Rodeo and excited family, still thinking of you and praying. One thing I regret is not composing a goodbye - I was pretty hysterical and frantic at the end, I wish I had gathered my thoughts better, not for her, but for me. Who knows what she heard at that point. Also, the day before my mom died, she was in bad shape, so I called the church to come to give last rites. My mom was so happy to see the priest, thinking she was just being given communion-I don’t know your religion, but this was one of my regrets (even though she was so close to passing).

Unresponsive.

He did open his eyes when I stroked his hair and hands today but didn't make eye contact or respond in any other way. He was also gesturing with his hand in what looked like a "come here" movement, but when I'd go over and ask if he wanted a sip of water or pat his arm he just quieted and never made any recognisable contact. He looks so different now. Each day - more and more changes. Nurses are checking him every 30 minutes now because they know our daughter wants to be there and I'll need time to get her.

I made a huge mistake today, though. I updated his family as to his status. They had asked to be kept up to date. So I did. Shouldn't have. His mother called and said they're coming tomorrow. I told her that he had said no visit in his last coherent discussions and that I'd be respecting those wishes. She said "but she was his mother and needed to see him before he died. I said I was sorry but I had asked him several times last week specifically about them when they were asking to come and he had said no - no visit. That as his wife I'd be respecting those wishes of his. Coming anyway.

I've alerted the hospice, but they're not a police station and nurse tonight said they'd do their best to "read the energy" and ask them to leave the room if he seemed agitated. I explained his brother having had police called on him when their father was dying because he punched a doctor (didn't like the medication prescribed), I didn't want them allowed in his room. That alerted her slightly but still - they'd do their best. This is a different nurse I don't think I've spoken to before. Maybe the ones tomorrow that I know better will be more understanding of the situation. Really though, that isn't their function. They provide comfort measures and peace for end of life care. Not security patrol. It'll be on me. My mistake in trying to not blindside them with his death in a day or few. This has all been so fast for everyone. I just had a friend text and ask if he was settling down any and taking his medications as prescribed. I thought oh, that was so long ago, but nope, it was just Friday that I had talked to her about him refusing doses.

One big huge long train wreck, start to finish.

Unresponsive.

He did open his eyes when I stroked his hair and hands today but didn't make eye contact or respond in any other way. He was also gesturing with his hand in what looked like a "come here" movement, but when I'd go over and ask if he wanted a sip of water or pat his arm he just quieted and never made any recognisable contact. He looks so different now. Each day - more and more changes. Nurses are checking him every 30 minutes now because they know our daughter wants to be there and I'll need time to get her.

I made a huge mistake today, though. I updated his family as to his status. They had asked to be kept up to date. So I did. Shouldn't have. His mother called and said they're coming tomorrow. I told her that he had said no visit in his last coherent discussions and that I'd be respecting those wishes. She said "but she was his mother and needed to see him before he died. I said I was sorry but I had asked him several times last week specifically about them when they were asking to come and he had said no - no visit. That as his wife I'd be respecting those wishes of his. Coming anyway.

I've alerted the hospice, but they're not a police station and nurse tonight said they'd do their best to "read the energy" and ask them to leave the room if he seemed agitated. I explained his brother having had police called on him when their father was dying because he punched a doctor (didn't like the medication prescribed), I didn't want them allowed in his room. That alerted her slightly but still - they'd do their best. This is a different nurse I don't think I've spoken to before. Maybe the ones tomorrow that I know better will be more understanding of the situation. Really though, that isn't their function. They provide comfort measures and peace for end of life care. Not security patrol. It'll be on me. My mistake in trying to not blindside them with his death in a day or few. This has all been so fast for everyone. I just had a friend text and ask if he was settling down any and taking his medications as prescribed. I thought oh, that was so long ago, but nope, it was just Friday that I had talked to her about him refusing doses.

:grouphug:

I am so, so very sorry. Still sending you love, prayers and thoughts.

Rodeo, I am so, so sorry. You are doing the best you can. Try not to stress too much about DH's mom and brother. Hopefully they will make a quick visit, say a quick goodbye, and leave. One (very small) blessing to him being unresponsive is that their visit will likely go unnoticed.

Your family is in my thoughts. Please know that there is a whole community out there of people holding you in their hearts as you continue this journey. Please be gentle with yourself.:hug:

:grouphug:
Unresponsive.

Unresponsive.

I'm so sorry the people who should be holding you up are draining your focus and attention from the family member they all profess to love.

Keep being strong for him. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter