How long before written room confirmation arrives?

deelovesdis

city by the sea dee
Hello,

I booked a room for the BWV, a 1 bedroom, via DVC on a three way call renting points from a DVC member.

That was three weeks ago and he hasnt sent me a confirmation yet. He at first was telling me DVC doesnt send out confirmations, but I rented once before at OKW and I received a written confirmation, but I do not remember how long it took to receive it. I know it takes some level of trust to rent someones DVC points, and very few people have been scammed .

My reservation is for Sept 2nd, Hopefully I really do have a reservation and wasnt scammed. But the call sure sounded like a real DVC call. I sent him $800 to make the ressie for me. He faxed me a contract and we both signed it.

I am not sending any further money until I see the confirm letter.

Does anyone know how long before something gets sent in the mail to the owner?

I am hoping I wasnt scammed. I heard the Disney satisfaction survey at the end of the call. However, I have tried to confirm the ressie myself online and via phone and when I put in the number I have it comes up "error".

He told me that only the DVC member can confirm the ressie. So.......
my questions,
How long before the DVC sends out a confirmation letter, and does it go to the owner?
Can only the DVC owner confirm the ressie?

What would you do?

any suggestions would be welcome,
thanks, Dee

Did you tell him that you know DVC sends out confirmations? This above all else says SOMETHING is wrong... I hope you paid by credit card. Don't let any more time go by.... insist on a confirmation/reservation number. If he/she can't give it... they don't have it. I know Deb is just :sad2:

Hope someday you will be a DVC member too...

The confirmation letter would go to the DVC member. It has usually taken 2-3 weeks after we booked for the letter to show up, although we have always been given a verbal confirmation number immediately.

My understanding is that DVC will only deal with the member and even if you did call they wouldn't give you any information. This may or may not be the case in reality but that is how it is supposed to work.

I don't think your withholding funds until you get a copy of the confirmation is unreasonable, but then again I don't know the terms of your contract either.

If it has only been a few weeks since the reservation was made its very possible the member hasn't even received the letter yet. At the very least the member should be able to provide you with the confirmation number, since they would have received that during the reservation call. Whether you can then call in to verify if that number is for a valid reservation may or may not be possible.

Did you tell him that you know DVC sends out confirmations? This above all else says SOMETHING is wrong... I hope you paid by credit card. Don't let any more time go by.... insist on a confirmation/reservation number. If he/she can't give it... they don't have it. I know Deb is just :sad2:

Hope someday you will be a DVC member too...
No, no, no, no, no...Rob. Easy big fella!

There was a long thread a month or so ago in which a DVC member was complaining about not receiving confirmation letters from MS. They asked if anyone else had that problem.

I replied, "Huh??? I ALWAYS get confirmations about 2-3 weeks after making a ressie, or changing something." (As noted above, it does take a few weeks -- longer than you would think.)

I was amazed at the response. MANY members posted that they had never received a confirmation letter. Not for their first reservation, not for changes, not for adding DDP -- nada, zero, zip, nothing. And some of those folks had been members for years and years.

So there seems to be a LOT of unevenness about the confirmation letters going out. I would contact the owner you rented from and see if they have received the letter. If not, ask them to recheck with MS.

I'm sure your ressie is fine unless you're renting from Tracy in NY.

I had to call at least 3-4 times last year to get a confirmation letter. And it happened again this year. One MS told me they use a contractor company to send out confirmation letters. Has anyone heard of that? Why can't they put the letter on the member login site so we can print out online. It saves paper, postage, and labor...lower annual dues. Is that wishful thinking?

I can attest to not getting confirmation letters!! My situation proved that MS and accounting had wrong addresses for my DH who is listed first on our contracts!!! This only happened this year after beign members for many years!! took quite a while to get fixed and still not sure if it is.

anyways, we rented last year to a local family(later found out I went to high school with him) but found him through a friend here on the DIS. I was nervous because I never rented but my DIs friend said they were a reliable family!! When I got the confirmation, I made a copy and sent it to them. I included their names on the reservation. Once they got the copy, they sent a check. 30 days prior to check in, I recieved the final payment.

I would contact the person you rented from and tell them you need the confirmation letter and that DVC does send them out. They will even fax you a copy!! they have to me!!

Good luck

I have always recieved a confirmation letter within 2-3 weeks usually less. You can have the member you rented from go online and get you a confirmation number, or better yet he can print you the page detailing his reservation. Then if you would like post it or PM it and we can tell you if it looks legit. Not saying he can't alter things before he sends you a copy but it's better than nothing. Personally I would insist on some type of confirmation before sending any more money. You may also want to check the rent / trade board and check out the history of the person you rented from. Plenty of repeat renters on there, if he/she is legit there should be someone that has rented previously from him/her, hopefully you can get a good review and set your mind at ease. Good luck hope you have a magical trip. Looking back at op you did say it was a three way call. Do you remember if they gave a confirmation number when the ressi was made? He also would have had to give his member number these are things you may want to write down in the future. With a member name, number and confirmation number you can check on the reservation yourself.

I have had similar bizarre confirmation letter issues. For instance my upcoming VB trip I have 3 seperate ressies... 2 cash nights on either end of points nights. I received 1 cash night ressie but not the rest... and I called again for additional copies over 3 weeks ago and still Zip Nada Zilch!

Just had another thought..... have the member print out the vacation detail from the DVC Member website with the confirmation #.

We haven't always gotten our reservation confirmation in a timely manner. I don't think we have gotte the one for our Jan reservation that we made maybe last April?

If I were the member and didn't get my payment in the time frame that was agreed to in the contract, your reservation would be cancelled before my points became holding points. And your deposit would be mine.

If you heard the reservation being made, and the member told you he didn't receive a confirmation, why are you being so negative about it? You should have realized that not all rentals are the same. Different members have different requirements. And renting a reservation from a member is NOT the same as getting one directly from Disney.

You'll be able to call the resort directly a few days before the start of your vacation as long as you fulfill your contract requirements.

And, no, you cannot call Member Services for any reason unless you are a member, which you are not.

By the way, if the member prints out the info from the website, it will have the member's number on it and I wouldn't care to share that with a non-member.

I've made 9 reservations since owning and I think its been twice they sent me a confirmation . I had 5 different reservations at once and I called and asked that a copy be sent for all of them and received a nice little stack of letters about a week later.

I check the web site to make sure everything is all set then I print out a copy of it so I have the confirmation number and dates.

Wow -- They always say "7-10 days" to receive the confirmation letter and I always get it and usually in far less time than that. (Of course, I'm waiting for one as I type this...hope it comes okay).

To the renter, you are dependent on the DVC member to verify confirmations. If you were on the phone call when they made the reservation, you should have heard the CM give out the confirmation number. Of course, you may not have paid attention. The member should very easily to, at a minimum, give you the confirmation number.

my limited experience was I made 4 reservations last Friday. I received all 4 confirmation letters in the mail today.

One thing to consider is if they used developer points the process is much much slower.

I like the idea of giving the member the ability to print it from the web site.

Personally, until DVC gets their website to be error free--problems with screens loading, info wrong, being down in general--I don't want anything to be "web only" nor do I want DVC to "force" me to rely on the web to get my confirmation letters. I have had problems in the last year or so with receiving them and they always ask the standard "Has your address changed recently?" question. I feel like asking them if they have changed who does their mailings recently in return. . . I think the longest it took for me to receive a confirmation was 4 weeks from the date I made the original reservation. Good thing it wasn't for a "quick" trip!

SimbaCub
VWL Thanksgiving 2007
AKV 1 night then 6 nights VWL with friends the week before Christmas

I can only remember 1 time when I had to call MS to get a confirmation letter that did not arrive. On the other hand, I've seen it take 10 to 14 days to arrive.

I can only remember 1 time when I had to call MS to get a confirmation letter that did not arrive. On the other hand, I've seen it take 10 to 14 days to arrive.
Same experience here. Out of about 15 ressies since joining DVC, we've failed to get a confirmation letter once. I just got mine yesterday for check-in 9/4, having made reservations about 2 weeks ago. I also received my DME docs (separately).

To share a recent experience with confirmation ---- Completed my reservation last Monday and the confirmation was in my mailbox yesterday (Monday). 1 week. This is fairly typical of what I've experienced over the last 14 years. If it goes beyond 2 weeks for arrival (and you live in the US or Canada), I would follow up with Member Services.

Made a change on the 21st received our new comfirmation on the 30th.7-10days seem to be the normal time frame for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter